Plate behind "B" post?

Stevem

I went to look at a 1987 targa tonight with the idea of buying the car if it checked out OK and subject to a PPI of course.

Some of you may remember that I had to sell my Supersport recently as my back problems were getting increasingly worse and I was finding it difficult getting in and out of the car. The sale was also to raise some money to pay for a private back operation which would make things easier for me.

Well the operation has now been paid for and there was some cash left to go towards another Porsche but it had to be a targa as this allowed me easier access (with the targa top removed of course) to get in and out of the car.

The car I looked at tonight was a 1987 red targa with the G50 gearbox and has covered just over a 100k. It is unfortunately fitted with the 17" later cup alloys instead of the correct Fuch wheels.

I checked over the car as much as I could tonight but when it came to checking the kidney bowl area I could not really get my pudgy hands in the gap between the rear arch and the 17" wheels but what I could feel was what appeared to be a plate/cover that seemed to cover the rear of the latch at the rear of the "B" post. This plate/cover was quite rusty and I could move it from left to right with my hand.

Obviously the rear wheels will need to come so as to allow a proper inspection of this area (this could not be done today) but can anyone tell me if Porsche fitted a largish plate/cover over the rear of the "B" post latch?

A few other things were found on the car ie one of the outer sill covers was starting to rust yet the sills themselves appeared to be in pretty good shape themselves. The rear silencer was holed/rusted and the fresh air blower was not working. A few oil leaks were also seen around the valve cover areas as well.

Unfortunately I have not got the budget left for a 911 that I would have liked to have bought so I am trying to get the best car that I can afford at the moment.

If anyone can advise me about the plates/covers behind the latches then this would be a big help.

Thanks

Steve

No pictures unfortunately. As I said it really needed the wheels removing to be able to get a better look. I think a PPI is probably the way to go.

The guy is asking £10500 for the targa so I am not expecting it to be without its faults for that price but there again I do not want it to be full of rust. There was a time when I could crawl around underneath these cars to see what the condition was like but not anymore. Still I am not going to give in and do intend to buy another 911. :)

No pictures unfortunately. As I said it really needed the wheels removing to be able to get a better look. I think a PPI is probably the way to go.

The guy is asking £10500 for the targa so I am not expecting it to be without its faults for that price but there again I do not want it to be full of rust. There was a time when I could crawl around underneath these cars to see what the condition was like but not anymore. Still I am not going to give in and do intend to buy another 911. :)

The joys of 911 buying :)