Whistling Kettle: 924 Turbo

Lesworth

13 hours ago, Ian Comerford said:

How does it go now Les?

Ha ha yes its a little flying machine once the revs get to the high 2000's. Below that its quite lazy and happy to pootle around but once it hits the sweet spot at about 2800 it completely changes character and the noise from engine and exhaust becomes quite aggressive. Its a really old school machine that feels quite raw. But when I think what else people were running around in when I was in the first year of senior school, this must have been an amazing car. The SC is of course the faster car (oh that zingy engine) with bags more grip but then the 924 only has 6x15's all round. The handling is great though so fun in twisty roads at legal speeds.

• 8 months later...

No much progress other than little snagging type jobs. Fixed an air leak at the throttle body, replaced the rear hatch struts, fixed the hand brake light, replaced the gear knob / gaiter, replaced the front disks and nipped up the wheel bearing a bit to solve a wobbly wheel under braking.

Biggest change was to pull the old comfort seats and give the carpet a good clean and fit these.

image3.thumb.jpeg.52c514e94edae3243c3801dabc8013b9.jpeg

seats1.thumb.jpeg.3039af59b03432235028c8ed47187606.jpeg

seats2.thumb.jpeg.ceeb1e5a4d75d7c1e96c0b3d99648252.jpeg

Smells much nicer inside now and the seats are mega comfy and smarten up the interior which i will leave as is with the right level of original patina without looking shabby. Going to see if I can get the re-spray and wheel refurbishment sorted in the summer at which point my work here will be done. 😎

13 hours ago, Lesworth said:

No much progress other than little snagging type jobs. Fixed an air leak at the throttle body, replaced the rear hatch struts, fixed the hand brake light, replaced the gear knob / gaiter, replaced the front disks and nipped up the wheel bearing a bit to solve a wobbly wheel under braking.

Biggest change was to pull the old comfort seats and give the carpet a good clean and fit these.

image3.thumb.jpeg.52c514e94edae3243c3801dabc8013b9.jpeg

seats1.thumb.jpeg.3039af59b03432235028c8ed47187606.jpeg

seats2.thumb.jpeg.ceeb1e5a4d75d7c1e96c0b3d99648252.jpeg

Smells much nicer inside now and the seats are mega comfy and smarten up the interior which i will leave as is with the right level of original patina without looking shabby. Going to see if I can get the re-spray and wheel refurbishment sorted in the summer at which point my work here will be done. 😎

What a great looking car Les, wish I had room for one of these, love the seats, are they a new buy or did you get your old ones recovered?

Just sent some wheels off for a diamond cutting refurb to Lepsons, great customer service so far, will let you know how they turn out

Edited by World Citizen

1 hour ago, Lesworth said:

I purchased the seats from a splendid young man from Beckenham.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

On 2/1/2019 at 10:11 PM, World Citizen said:

Just sent some wheels off for a diamond cutting refurb to Lepsons, great customer service so far, will let you know how they turn out

Reporting back!

I can't fault the service and quality of work from Lepson's, best customer service I've probably experienced of all the work I've ever had done on my cars

The ladies in the office kept me fully informed and highlighted their concerns with regards the conditions of the wheels, when they were inspected they were done on time, to a very reasonable cost, they sorted out collection/delivery and the quality of work is stunning

17 hours ago, World Citizen said:

Reporting back!

I can't fault the service and quality of work from Lepson's, best customer service I've probably experienced of all the work I've ever had done on my cars

The ladies in the office kept me fully informed and highlighted their concerns with regards the conditions of the wheels, when they were inspected they were done on time, to a very reasonable cost, they sorted out collection/delivery and the quality of work is stunning

Good to know - thank you. I have heard only good things about Lepsons.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/14/2019 at 4:56 PM, Lesworth said:

Good to know - thank you. I have heard only good things about Lepsons.

If you can imagine a crusty, corrosion riddled, lacquer lifted before wheel, well mine were worse than that, now very sparkly and the diamond cutting is spot on

wheel.thumb.JPG.4e8b2bb870d595a5e6c20ab896a42111.JPG

Edited by World Citizen