Whistling Kettle: 924 Turbo

Lesworth

I am going to be putting this car up for sale in the next few weeks with a fresh (its last) MOT once I have got my finger out to write a proper ad with pictures and think on a price. Just putting this out there in case anyone is after one and wants to get in touch now.

Lack of use and I don't like to see it just sitting there.

• 3 weeks later...

Yes I guess that might have Les!  Are you going to keep the beast and spend some more time tinkering while you are locked down?  I have been doing all sorts of jobs on my MR2 - outside of work hours - obviously.

10 hours ago, Lesworth said:

Needless to say my plans have changed somewhat over the last couple of weeks...

Its a shame as your 924 would have been something special once the paint work had been completed.

Not stating the obvious but in the current climate prices will have soften quite a bit, is it not worth Sorning it for say 6 months, then putting it on the market?

13 hours ago, Beaky said:

Its a shame as your 924 would have been something special once the paint work had been completed.

Not stating the obvious but in the current climate prices will have soften quite a bit, is it not worth Sorning it for say 6 months, then putting it on the market?

That exactly what I meant. I'll keep it and see what happens..

• 1 month later...

Clearly with the current situation I have decided to keep. I took it for an 'essential trip' to the sops at the weekend. Hasn't been used since January I think and it fired up and ran like a champ. The steering on these is fantastic - more weighty than the 911 but with lots of feel and precision. It could definitely run better I think as although the engine and turbo are fully rebuilt, the fueling needs some attention. the WUR and metering head are as they were from the factory and after sitting around for 15 odd years I worried that they would need rebuilding but they seemed fine and the car runs ok. It can be a bit lumpy on cold starts and I get the odd backfire when I switch the engine off (very embarrassing when parked up with PCGB in the hangar at Bicester Heritage! :blush::signs118:

So I will now start attending to the fuel and intake side of things to see if I can improve. Fuel pressure tests have been carried out ant seem ok. I opened up the WUR and removed the little screen filter to get it where it should be a few years ago.

Next up is the intake. Series 1 turbos have a throttle body that uses brass bushes for the butterfly shaft and these inevitably wear over the years and cause intake leaks. The series two throttle body uses rubber seals and can therefore be rebuilt. Problem is you need to series two intake manifold and charge tube as well. A got hold of all this a while back and I have a rebuild kit on the way so I will now fit all this. I also have four new injectors (same as a 964 3.3 Turbo :D) and injector inserts on the way which I will install when the intake is out of the way.

Once this is done I will probably send both the WUR and metering head off to KMI for rebuilding back to factory spec.

• Like 2

Can't remember this far back but did you pull the in-tank fuel pump on yours? I would take the pump out of the tank and have a look before touching the injection. Would definitely affect starting.

Mine was completely fecked and a nightmare on cold starts. Switched to the 928 tank filter and an actual suck pump rather than the primary tank pump and secondary arrangement.  Well, I say switched as if I have fitted them but you know what I mean.

Odd backfire on shutdown could be air leak somewhere and plenty of places for that to get in, or a drippy injector of course. New injectors will make a huge difference I would say but don't stick them in until tank is flushed. Of course you may already have done all this.

I had a brass bush machined for my steering rack and it's an easy job for a local lathe owner if you wanted to stay with what you've got. Common problem on BMW bike TBs also.

On 17/05/2020 at 08:15, johndglynn said:

Can't remember this far back but did you pull the in-tank fuel pump on yours? I would take the pump out of the tank and have a look before touching the injection. Would definitely affect starting.

Mine was completely fecked and a nightmare on cold starts. Switched to the 928 tank filter and an actual suck pump rather than the primary tank pump and secondary arrangement.  Well, I say switched as if I have fitted them but you know what I mean.

Odd backfire on shutdown could be air leak somewhere and plenty of places for that to get in, or a drippy injector of course. New injectors will make a huge difference I would say but don't stick them in until tank is flushed. Of course you may already have done all this.

I had a brass bush machined for my steering rack and it's an easy job for a local lathe owner if you wanted to stay with what you've got. Common problem on BMW bike TBs also.

I replaced both pumps as they were seized solid and cleaned out the tank and flushed through the fuel system prior to getting it running for the first time. Been through 3 or 4 fuel filters since then so that should all be good. When I built the engine back up I re-used the black plastic bushes for the injectors (no seals on these) because at the time there were nla. The last one I screwed into the head would tighten up so i knew that was a potential weak spot / air leak. They are now available again although I managed to source some brass versions which I will use when the new injectors go in. You can see the damaged thread on the old plastic insert which just crumbled when I removed it.

78897567_injectorinsert.thumb.jpeg.b7e0bbbf9d6c1959136038dd553d4ee9.jpeg

New brass injector inserts fitted. Cleaned out the threads in the head with a tap and carefully blew out any swarf. All wound in and seated nicely. these wont be leaking any air. Popped the old injectors in just to cover the holes - new injectors en-route from Germany 👍

inserts.thumb.jpeg.a59866a25baa20971c7ee7c5cab886f2.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

New injectors fitted and on the test drive it runs so much sweeter. No power initially though which was a scare until I found the culprit - a stray nut I had left sitting on the throttle body :homersimpson:

image0.thumb.jpeg.9f81deefdd1b4ae44c1b5d9011293d5b.jpeg

I can't believe the difference this has made to how the car runs. Much smoother and more torque from low revs. It actually feels like the change to my old 3.2 when I fitted the Steve Wong chip. I should have replaced these at the start. I am now going to change the SC injectors as they are similar age and mileage to the 924's.

14 minutes ago, World Citizen said:

Good work Les, glad it's running smoother has this rekindled your love for it?

It has! I even got a 'Porsche Wave' from a 991 driver. I normally only get looks of disdain!

12 minutes ago, Lesworth said:

It has! I even got a 'Porsche Wave' from a 991 driver. I normally only get looks of disdain!

Great stuff, was it a 'feeding the ducks' or high five type of wave? 😁

Great work Les! Your experience convinces me I need to renew my injectors too. Where did you source the brass inserts (assuming similar on 930) and the injectors? 

You’ve done a fantastic job on the 924. 

Cheers 

David 

14 minutes ago, flatsix777 said:

Great work Les! Your experience convinces me I need to renew my injectors too. Where did you source the brass inserts (assuming similar on 930) and the injectors? 

You’ve done a fantastic job on the 924. 

Cheers 

David 

Thanks David. Luckily for you it doesn't look like you need inserts for 930 injectors, just o-ring seals. I'm going to replace the injectors on the SC as well. Everything seems to point to CIS injectors being replaced at 100.000 miles as good practice.

• 5 months later...

Just got the WUR back from KMI after a rebuild. It was contaminated with dirt and water according the KMI. I flushed the system through during recommissioning and before the post rebuild first start so I am hoping this is from prior to that given how old it is and how long the car sat without running before I got hold of it.

So this weekend I'll be fitting that and completing a full service. Next up will be a complete fluid change, fit a new high torque Wosp starter motor and then give it some use.

What a difference. The rebuilt WUR has improved things another notch over and above the improvement from the new injectors. Much smoother above idle on part and full throttle and much 'torqueyer' for want of a better word. Also change gearbox fluid, performed a full service and fitted a new WOSP hi torque starter. Spins up much faster but not sure it suits the lazyness of the engine. The engine fires but a bit too sluggishly as far as the starter is concerned. Will see if the start up improves with a proper tune up. Fallen in love with this car again 🙄

Next up is brake and clutch fluid change and a proper tune up / mixture adjust.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Lesworth said:

Fallen in love with this car again 🙄

You have been bitten again, :P.....finish the project, enjoy for a few good years then see if the romance is still there!