babs C2 964 + vram lump

jevvy

Plan is to get some miles on it then change the oil and take it up to wayne for a remap and see what we get.

Wowzers, 2 years ago!!!

Finally got up to see wayne who sorted out some niggles and worked his magic - headline figure of 317 bhp.

Babs took it up for the remap as I was busy and she's heading back today after staying at a mates up that way so I'll post more once I've had a drive, she seems pretty chuffed though.

Great result. Do you know what sort of numbers it started off with before the remap?

Not sure, he's going to email the power graphs so I'll find out then. Will be interesting to feel what a remapped Vram is like compared to non Vram.

Just been for a quick blast, certainly has a good chunk more oomph. Bangs and pops just like mine does, plenty of zing too. I think it has a bit more shove low down(as it should) compared to a non vram.

Nice to see Babs at Wayes Jev , a real Porsche nut too ! Was good to hear another loud growling crab for comparison , I take it its a 14" magnoflow and 2.5 " bore ? Bit worried as mine has the extra cans and I had the impression it might have been louder ! albeit a deeper tone , will be good to hear what Babs thought as I never heard her car on the rollers .

The Vram certainly fills the engine bay , I can see why the rear tail was up ! Good numbers too for standard engine . Hoping to get my printouts emailed at some point too ...

• 1 month later...

Turns out babs got her numbers mixed up, just got the dyno chart with a welcome surprise!

Babs964VramPower.jpg

Henry Babs says your car sounded about the same as hers on the dyno, yes 14" box with 2.5" bore.

Mate, that's very good numbers :revs:

Great result.

Yes very healthy numbers, I'm not 100% certain its correct tbh. I took it out yesterday to check with the butt-dyno and its quick for sure but it doesnt feel 45 bhp up on my IB with the 3.6. Maybe its just because the vram has got a dollop more low down torque and less zing up top making it feel less punchy and of course the 964 weighs a bit more than the IB - will need to get them out together to compare.

So is that a stock VRAM 993 engine?

As far as we know yes its stock but I never saw the car it came out of as it was already sat on a palette so it could have some tweaks.

Yes very healthy numbers, I'm not 100% certain its correct tbh. I took it out yesterday to check with the butt-dyno and its quick for sure but it doesnt feel 45 bhp up on my IB with the 3.6. Maybe its just because the vram has got a dollop more low down torque and less zing up top making it feel less punchy and of course the 964 weighs a bit more than the IB - will need to get them out together to compare.

As far as we know yes its stock but I never saw the car it came out of as it was already sat on a palette so it could have some tweaks.

Yep, I guess it is the infamous 9M dyno so maybe take with a slight pinch of salt.

TBH the figures are all BS anyway, it's the before and after feel that makes the WS remaps well worth the visit & he's still a billy bargain.

Has anyone ever thought about how much hp these old air cooled lumps make compared to the water cooled, twin cam, 4 valve, vario cam plus 996 3.6? Remembering that the air cooled has to drive a honking great cooling fan. It must be 25-30+hp more from this result. Remarkable really.

and comply with much, much more modern emissions regulations

This, together with economy and noise regulations hamstring modern engines. All the new technology seems to be used to meet/beat the regulations rather than move performance forward.

Mark

Yup, I can pretty easily and cheaply get 100bhp per litre out of my NA 4-banger 8v Alfa engine using off the shelf bits, the essential design of this engine was released to the world in 1954.

It died around the same time in the mid-90's as the air cooled Mezger, presumably in part due to the inability to meet modern emissions regulations.

• 2 months later...

Did a trackday at Silverstone on Saturday, first decent drive since a brake refresh and the remap. Much more fun now it seems to stop well and have a bit more grunt. Dry day but fairly cold, did some great laps hooning around with metamat in his 993 who was also there. Helmet cameras not allowed but did manage to record a pit fly-by:

babsbirthdaytrackday1.jpg

Brake refresh included new discs & fluid plus we tried some EBC yellowstuff pads. I would have preferred something different as they dont have the best of reps but with the small C2 single pot rear callipers the choice of non road pads is very limited (pretty much the only option really). I was quite surprised at how well they performed, plenty of bite and little or no noise and no radioactive dust to speak of - very good price too. The Bridgestone SO2a's seemed to cope well with the abuse too, I thought they were a bit pants at Oulton last year but my openion has now changed.

The only thing left to do now is to sort the suspension out. The dampers seem fine (considering its a daily driver most of its time) but it needs to be a bit lower after the weight lost during the engine swap etc however its on the lowest the current springs can be set to. Thinking perhaps some H&R lowering springs and ARB's should be next on the list to firm things up a bit but without going max-track-attack.

That said it was nice to drive a 911 that has more noticible weight transfer and moves around a bit compared to my blue car, was fun playing with throttle instead of steering to adjust things mid corner on the longer sweeping stuff.

Nice one , reminds me I must get mine on track at some point , wondering as we similar pipes how many decibels was it putting out or did you have a crafty reducer in there . :)

It was a noisy day, no static test but 102 db drive-by - we didnt have any problems and were full WOT through the noise test areas. A few cars did get black flagged for noise so they were checking.

Anyone up for Anglesey early Feb? Snow drifts ;-)

Deffo want to get Anglesey done but its a canny old schlepp up to there from Reading so if I'm going to do it I'd rather do it in a month thats less prone to snow and ice. Will also want to do a few laps of the triangle if I'm ever up that way. Keep me posted if you book anything though.