Impact Bumpers
Henry

'79 SC Rebuild (with 3.6 install)

Very satisfying applying the sealer. I borrowed the gun from a local paint shop in Witney , Dave Horseman whom I know a little bit , a bonus as a wurths one was £ 250 ! I had tracked down a gun on ebay which I think would have worked for £149 but great to been lent one as the sealer is not cheap .

Just prior to sealer keyed up and ready to go.

post-7780-0-98716400-1419187177_thumb.jpg

post-7780-0-73220300-1419187821_thumb.jpg

post-7780-0-09196800-1419188151_thumb.jpg

Undersealing all done .

Managed to get a friend to give the car a lift over to my brothers workshops on Saterday , fortunately it was a lovely sunny and dry day! Perfect day for taking your Porsche for a drive .

post-7780-0-86846400-1419188673_thumb.jpg

post-7780-0-54715700-1419188775_thumb.jpg

post-7780-0-33257200-1419188823_thumb.jpg

post-7780-0-17591000-1419188889_thumb.jpg

post-7780-0-51460100-1419189238_thumb.jpg

Car arrived to its new home for the Christmas period , I am hoping to get it painted ,just the tub at least whilst everyones on holyday so have until the 5th before the powder shop is needed .

I applied the first coat of epoxy primer this evening which went well . The plan is first lechler epoxy primer on to the bare shell 3 coats wet on wet . Leave to cure for 2 days to cure . Block off then a coat of lechler TI high build primer ( Not a high build poleyester primer which is like spaying you whole care with plastic padding albeit a thin coat which seems to be a more popular choice these days as it gets over rougher bodywork and filling work , souds great but polyesters can absorb water apparently and can cause problems on occasion. ) guide coated then blocked of again dry then one more coat of same guide coat and blocked off wet prior to base and clear coat.

Nice to see first coat on as its the first real oppertunity to see if my filling was up to scratch.

My brother Julian set up the gun for me , then told me he had to go chistmas shopping so left me to it. went ok just the one curtain ! not to much to worry about at this stage as will be blocked out . Using a descent Devilbis spray gun was so much better to use than the £17 from screwfix that I bought for the underneath really made a difference .

post-7780-0-54910400-1419284037_thumb.jpg

post-7780-0-08494400-1419284092_thumb.jpg

post-7780-0-47282000-1419284133_thumb.jpg

Great progress there Puddy

The chap you mentioned Dave horseman could you possibly give me his details please

Might just get me out of the poo

Keep up the good work

Cheers Kenny

Managed to escape family commitments today for a few hours and persuaded my brother to give me a hand to finish off blocking down car . We switched to wet blocking a more traditional method , which was a lot better the paper 320 grit not clogging like it did with the 400 dry .

Should get stone chip on sills tomorrow and hopefully if it goes off quick enough last lLechler Ti primer coat which when blocked off again will be ready for final base and clear coats in a few days time .

Blocking with wet and dry 320 grit much quicker than dry blocking , fired up the powder coat oven which delivers some serious heat and forces any moisture from the shell after blocking

post-7780-0-53219500-1419626628_thumb.jpg

post-7780-0-38600100-1419626705_thumb.jpg

Well .. putting the hours over the holidays paid off this morning as I finally got round to painting the base and clear coat or rather I should say my brother did . I did do the underside lying on my back ,engine bay ,boot and awkward bits like all good apprentices though which was good fun and went well , with the amount of prep work involved though I didn't want to mess up as the thought of blocking it all down again was not a good one . .

post-7780-0-16576700-1420119549_thumb.jpg

post-7780-0-84694800-1420119578_thumb.jpg

post-7780-0-50436700-1420119667_thumb.jpg

post-7780-0-29537600-1420119697_thumb.jpg

post-7780-0-84997400-1420119727_thumb.jpg

Paint went on well with little dust which was the main concern nothing that wont come out when polished tomorrow . Just the wings bonnet etc but they can wait as I can fit them in between when oven is not in use .

post-7780-0-69988100-1420120899_thumb.jpg

post-7780-0-47791000-1420120936_thumb.jpg

post-7780-0-03550200-1420120967_thumb.jpg

post-7780-0-43240700-1420120996_thumb.jpg

post-7780-0-44640700-1420121026_thumb.jpg

Wow, how have I missed this thread? Just read the lot, great work. Now you just need a nice wall to hang it on ;)

Awesome job!

Wow, how have I missed this thread? Just read the lot, great work. Now you just need a nice wall to hang it on ;)

Thanks Guys .

I wish my bro was that handy with great tea making and spraying facilities ;-)

Yeh lucky ,I did get him a gopro for Chistmas though instead of the normal socks ! besides I still have to finish a pole barn for him and concrete a yard . He is sure to pull in the favour soon . Still I reckon I have saved at least £ 4500 on a respray .

Just for info materials were about £500.

Nice work Puddy,

Ironic I was just going to start posting the body restoration of 78 targa, it is a carbon copy of yours all the same issues, inc the rear torsion bar tube, tomorrow will be the first day of repairing.

I have been restoring cars for many years and have recently turned builder, irony!

That is ironic although I do have to return to building fold sooner or later cash flow and all , good luck, for the building that is ,sounds like you know your way round cars . Have you been restoring cars full time then?

Will be good to see another old SC bought back to life and will follow your thread with interest .

Henry

Finally finished the last batch of painting today , its taken longer than I thought but is turning out well, I have been priming the panels at my brothers workshop in the evening and taking them back to the barn to flat them off prior to next coat , a lot of back and fourth in my Nemo van as I can only get one wing in the back safely at a time .

Still now that paintwork is nearly all behind me ,bar some polishing its been great refurbishing all the other bits ready to go back on. Got some pics but cant seem to get um up.. right now they seem to be too big .hmm

Looking nice, i know the feeling, looking fwd to enjoy it!

yeh be great when done ,should be like new,well almost ,seems an age since I last drove it . :(

Last lot of panels to be wet flatted thank goodness

http://s176.photobucket.com/user/henrystokes/media/HENRY-PC/2015-01-30%20bootlid%20pedal%Last of the big panels top coated.

bootlidpedalbox001_zpsf62b7f8d.jpg

The car has covered a lot of miles so I want to make sure all key moving parts are up to scratch so decided to look at the rack.

There are two bearings which I replaced in the rack with new items from simply bearings online shop. Plenty of info on pelican for reference .

The bearing number is stamped on the bearings so easy to identify ,I chose the same brand ones as there are other buget ones available but cheap as chips anyway. There was minimal ware to the bushes on the ends and everything else seemed fine so all went back together with some fresh grease and now feels very smooth in operation . When I took it apart it was very dry and needed a bit of tlc.

1 x HK1712 Drawn Cup Type Needle Roller Bearing With Two Open Ends 17x23x12mm @ £4.70 and 1 x SKF 6202 Open Deep Groove Ball Bearing 15x35x11mm at £2.60 both cheap as chips and easy to do with the rack already out. Fitted turbo tie rods whilst at it , replacing the old rubber type which were quite bad and could'nt have helped matters.

bootlidpedalbox006_zps36e1e369.jpg

bootlidpedalbox020_zpsaac3e2b6.jpg

Rack001_zps1636017a.jpg

The rack is all back together now just waiting on the cover plates to come back from the platers , was getting my clipers done so added them for extra bling apeal.

Forgot to mention I also changed the needle bearing in the rubber sleeving near the end of the first section of columb.

Rack004_zpsbb45b8ee.jpg

As mentioned above I am rebuilding the calipers Sc rears and 3.2 fronts . Found the required Ribe socket on ebay . Used this and some heat to get them undone . Shot blasted them and sent them off for plating .

paintpedals007_zps91ec342b.jpg

When splitting the rears I found it was badly cracked inside which was strange not right through so thinking it must have been like it for years , found a second hand one for 40 squid from steve strange which was in good knick and arrived in quick time .

Cracked castingpaintpedals011_zps1b30e7a4.jpg

paintpedals008_zpsbfcd7f90.jpgpaintpedals010_zps674ca3fc.jpg Some of the pistons were a bit ropey so decided to replace all of them with items from Biggred they keep the cliper half seals which are hard to find too . So all in my brake rebuild should be around 140 pounds ,but that is only because I can use my brothers blast cabinet and can get the plating for cost. If I didn'nt have access to this and especially if pistons are ssuspect I would send them away to be done , prob cheaper and lot less hassle tbh.

Other things done this week was the rebuilding of the pedal box. New brass bushes, bit of plating and powder and transformed.

The clutch linkage had nearly worn through!paintpedals006_zps058cf52d.jpg welded up and reshaped hole and fitted new bush.paintpedals013_zps886fb7fd.jpg

bootlidpedalbox013_zpse4561e4a.jpgParts for reassembly. Mainly brass but two new poly items were needed for a RHD car and two of the brass bushes were not required .

Finished , very satisfying bootlidpedalbox016_zps7edb504e.jpg

Rebuilt the upper steering columm too this week .

Replaced the two bearings, the upper a right pain only available from Porsche at £24 PLUS VAT having heard it can give problems decided to replace . The lower one is standard size so got it from Simply bearings ltd *beep* 60032Z Metal Shielded Deep Groove Ball Bearing 17x35x10mm at a very satisfying £3.50 They both tapped out easily after circlips were removed .

bootlidpedalbox017_zpsf0765923.jpgbootlidpedalbox018_zps3db0a8b3.jpg

Wow,

What a busy weekend!!

Its going to look and be great - how are you going to spend your time once it is finished ( apart from driving it, of course)??

Great work Puddy - going to be great when all back together :)

Wow,

What a busy weekend!!

Its going to look and be great - how are you going to spend your time once it is finished ( apart from driving it, of course)??

Cheers ,not so much weekend although

I do some when get the chance , but I am taking a bit of time out and working on it full time at the moment for as long as I can until works pulls me back , I am self employed as a builder , no commitments at the moment but looking for a plot or project ,seems prices around here are going up nearly as fast as our cars ,not an easy task !

Ben , will be needing that oil cooler soon (at last).

BTW does anyone know how to change your name on here , puddy was or old cat RIP and was a handy password at the time ,been wanting to change for a while but not sure if its possible .

After much deliberating I have decided to run the car as nature intended on these.

paintpedals015_zps509101ea.jpg. Seem to be getting parcels arriving daily at the moment .