'79 SC Rebuild (with 3.6 install)

Henry

Thanks Steve , just getting the hang of photobucket at last .

Must admit I hadn't given too much thought to the rears thinking they would be fine , a wise suggestion I am sure , probably hard to get hold of thicker spacers no ? Had I known one of my rears was going to be a right off I would of perhaps hunted down some 3.2 's first off . All the bits are at the platers at the moment and need to get the job ticked off my list , upgrade later maybe .

Always a bit fed up with my user name , it had to go ,started off as a lurker and seemed fine then all of a sudden your stuck . As you can see great thought went into thinking up something interesting but as you can see could not think of anything and settled for my name instead .

Anyway back to progress and all that , refurbished the fuel tank yesterday , started stripping the old stone chip off with a heat gun and scraper ,worked quite well but then switched to paint stripper for an easier life .

fueltank001_zpsef4f3452.jpg

fueltank004_zpscee0320a.jpg

Any pitted areas were treated with rust converter FE123 from rustbusters fueltank002_zps36d36e1d.jpgfueltank005_zps7ec6f442.jpgfueltank008_zpsd4b73042.jpg

Thanks Ben , still hoping to pick up the cooler Saterday , been eyeing up the oil lines lately soaking them with penetrating oil at the stat end to aid my attempt of undoing them ,dont fancy my chances .

A bit of a slow week , I new I should have labled my loom better . Getting the main loom back in from the engine bay into the footwell was a particulary testing time !

cleaned up the rear light clustersbootlidpedalbox007_zps071bffb8.jpg This was the worst one ,the other not so bad .

bootlidpedalbox008_zpsc509c505.jpg Masked the backs and sand blasted them . Came up quite well , was thinking of going fibreglass but that will have to wait for another day .

bootlidpedalbox010_zps5f15a803.jpg Two coats of white epoxy with a brush and they looked quite presentable . One inside needed touching up with some chrome spray which worked a treat ,never used it before ,quite impressed .

IMG_1611_zps56783fca.jpg One of the light backs was quite bad so sent them off with my calipers for plating , Not the most robust looking of finishes so thinking I might powder coat them , the backs that is and the calipers ,thinking either blue or red .

Fitted some of the Elephant rubber bushes , straight forwrd with good instruction sheet for corect indexing of the A arms .

PorscheArms001_zps0e1ca2e8.jpg Used my phone for correct angle set up .

PorscheArms003_zps53b633d8.jpg Elephant supply a aluminium guide tool and drift type thing to help them on when squeezing with a sash clamp.

PorscheArms005_zps7cf54fc5.jpg Sport hardness bushes to trailing arms. As I was in my bro's workshop I used his vice to squeese in the new wheel bearings suporting the hub from behind and using a bit of plate in front of the other jaw .

PorscheArms006_zpsf0d96f76.jpg Painted a few bits black.PorscheArms007_zps0cf62946.jpg

PorscheArms012_zps7d4cda42.jpg Getting a few wires in.

PorscheArms010_zpsaf92bd13.jpg Cleaned up the old vinyl dash and stuck it back , very excitting.

PorscheArms020_zpsb9052790.jpg Clocks are in ! bit of sound deadening too by the end of play today. Oh and bit of steering columb.

Nice Henry!

It's like you're building a new car from a kit :)

Wow, what a project!

Good to see it taking really positive steps forward. - gets the old adrenaline flowing when things start coming together.

I must admit I have been looking forward to this bit for a long time, most of the dirty stuff is done and dusted ,well almost,the kit is nearly complete just needs assembly,even had to buy some new shelving to hold all the new stuff , that and covering my old work bench in a sheet of stainless has improved my rebuild cave considerably. Certainly beats building work at this time of year .

Nice to hear that you are rebuilding a "cave"!!!

I must admit I have been looking forward to this bit for a long time, most of the dirty stuff is done and dusted ,well almost,the kit is nearly complete just needs assembly,even had to buy some new shelving to hold all the new stuff , that and covering my old work bench in a sheet of stainless has improved my rebuild CAVE considerably. Certainly beats building work at this time of year .

Every man needs a cave rich , even painted a couple of walls the other day with a shutz gun to brighten it up, cleaned the windows too I can nearly see out now !

PorscheArms014_zpscab33d7b.jpg Heavy duty shelving from ebay , would hate to see their light duty stuff , still what do you get for £70 these days . Nice to get a bit more organised though.

Now suffering shelving envy , actually for my £70 I got three of the units you see, a full 2.7 m ! x 1,8 H of storage heaven , the other is on the opposite wall . , could do with some more , but being a tight wad that do for now . Your just spoilt :D

I guess Henry it's a bit like to mis-quote Heath Robinson, '' Work expands to fill the time available for it's completion'' to '' Shelving expands as long as you keep filling the available space''!!........you can never have enought!!

Regards,

David.

On the storage: I've found plastic crates with bale arms pretty good. They stack inside themselves if needed with the arms flipped out of the way, or stack on top with the arms over. Easy to move, pretty lightweight and tough (if you get the industrial ones).