Jason's '84 3.2 Guards Red Rebuild

Evening all.

So, I've always wanted a 911 for as long as I knew what a car was! Yesterday I finally collected my first one, not quite a runner...

Photo17-05-2014010742pm_zps5719e837.jpg

It came with a pile of parts which I will slowly refurbish/upgrade. Lots of reading up and trips to the powdercoaters.

Photo18-05-2014012812pm_zps0f6cff41.jpg

Its being stored at my friends garage (3 point 2) until after I move house and have space for it.

Photo18-05-2014121049pm_zps63a84e80.jpg

Initially my plans were to backdate it, but as it's already painted I think it would be a shame to buy new panels and paint. Also it will be a cheaper project to keep it an impact. The following pictures are my inspiration...

Photo11-05-2012070204am_zps40177ad3.jpg

Photo11-05-2014104104pm_zps5c141304.jpg

Photo13-09-2010043222pm_zps4b90d5ba.jpg

As I didn't take the car apart I'm sure I'll be asking lots of questions like, "where does this go?", "what goes here?" and "is this the right way round?"

I can't wait to get stuck in!

Jason.

Edited by Jaseeaton

• Replies 515
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It doesn't go there, it is missing and it's definitely the wrong way round. Great restoration work so far, so no pressure to maintain that standard! Tick tock, running by the weekend!

• 1 month later...

Finally have all the parts in the garage now, so much to sort out. The shell will follow when the carport is enclosed. First job is to get the suspension ready for the shell so I cam make it rolling.

sjo8iV99CmTgMwAflfhrYa9l0H0G4xoFfzlapHSg

bswJHmaadpum4VtwpYOl2BOk96-vOPY_WgG-O9BK

1wqKTuJAIOOPadRlYxgojXGjRNDMJ7ZwpKmE_t1R

Ooooh fancy pants where did you get that nice hardback copy of the Bentley manual? My paperback version is FECKED!

Not authentic until it has got oily finger prints all over it and numerous notes in the margins.

Not if it is done properly. Shot blast to SA2.5, apply anti corrosive powder primer and then an architectural grade powder coat. Problem is most people won't pay the money. The primer is the key to lengevity

Marcos, TVR, Lotus, Caterham etc. never managed to make powder coat durable.

I have tried for many years to find a suitable finish for structural steel components.

Spent many years persevering with powder coat.

Wet sprayed marine grade paints have provided better results - also easier to repair if damaged during installation.

Powder coat should be perfectly fine . It has to be done well and correctly like most trades , a powder primer as Graeme says should be used which contains sacraficial zink compound is essential , parts should also be washed in a phospating machine which gives a microscopic coating that helps key subsequent coats .

Castings especially aluminium need to be first degassed which means baking off in the oven first for a period to help get rid of gas which can manafest itself in micro bubbles in the finnish.

My brother as part of his enineering buisness had a top of the range powder coat set up installed a couple of years ago , the work was farmed out previously but quality issues ment bringing it in house was the only way,lucky for me though .

I am not an expert but trust my brothers expertise , as a side note my metal garden furniture which is powdercoated is about eight years old and seems fine it has a few chips around some legs from being on gravel before I got round to building a patio , the chips seem localised and not flaking , not exactly conclusive but hey .

I think you will find powder paints have changed over the years , afterall most metal roofing sheets /cladding and a lot of modern car parts are pc. Just my :twocents: