Engine cut out - odd one

Whilst driving yesterday my engine stopped. Was doing seventyish, looked at my instruments - all reading ok i.e. not as though ignition off.

Coasted off the carriageway using a mightily convenient slip road, but before coming to a halt cranked it on the key and it fired straight away. Rejoined the road and I was away again.

Don't know what to make of it, any thoughts from the IB collective?

That is a strange one! At a guess I'd say ignition malfunction, fuel problem would cause spluttering I would think, plus engine wouldn't die without any warning. Highly unlikely that CDI unit would hiccup then recover, more likely bad electrical connection somewhere else? Be interesting to see what the collective wisdome makes of it. A bit disconcerning to drive until one finds the cause.

Regards,

David.

I'd check the fuses first. Give them all a good clean and make sure they are tight. Mine did this to a mate who borrowed the car. Packed up on the M40. After wiggling fuses all was well again.

Great suggestions, thanks.

Cylinder head sensor - do SCs have them?

Fuses - got to be worth a look..

Earth - replaced them all in last couple of years

Key - wondered if I'd knocked it, but I wasn't physically moving at the time. Also all the gauges remained live.

Ignition - Hmmm

My gut feeling is electrical / ignition. Going to start with a check of the fuses, can only wait to see if it recurs.

Also think Immobiliser is possible. Worth checking the main connector on the engine loom and also the CDI connector. SCs don't have a CHT.

How did it cut out? Was it like turning off a switch or a little softer. If it were fuel (pump, relay fuse etc) then I don't think it would cut out instantly as its continuous injection meaning that fuel sits in the pocket waiting for the valves to open so there would be a little waiting there even if the pump stopped. On a 930 the ignition stays on for a few seconds when the ignition is turned off. The pumps shut down immediately but the motor staggers on for a couple of seconds to be protect the turbo. That said, not sure you could judge any of this when it happens while driving in gear.

Hope you find something conclusive.

David

This has happened three times to me over the last 15 years and in my case it was the multi pin plug at the rear of the fuse/solenoid panel in the engine bay. A good clean up and some fiddling around to spread the grip of the pins in their sockets does the job.

Ian

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Just to update: the fault appeared to develop, car wouldn't start at all one morning last week. Cranked away quite happily but didn't fire. Changed the suss looking fuel pump fuse and fuel pump relay and it fired on the "B" of the bang.