Building a wooden bench in the garage - thoughts?

Fuchs915

All,

Getting a lot of the family cr@p out of the garage and having a move round/re-orgainisation. Have decided to replace my 2 small (18 in x 36 in and 18 in x 40 in) work surfaces with a large work bench with a top area of 6ft x 18-24 inches. My current plan is legs out of 4x4 and use 4x2 for bracing/framework. Top will be either recycled kitchen work surface or 18mm (+?) ply. I'll also put a shelf or 2 underneath.

Any thoughts or suggestions gratefully received.

Cheers

Kevin

Sounds like a good plan. If you plan to have a vice fit it above a leg.

Kitchen worktop is great stuff for a bench, thicker and shiner the better. Wipes easy.

My narrow bench in my garage.

247418_10150261241016197_1593102_n.jpg?o

Just made a new one for mine. Simples.

4x2 framing on the floor. Ply or whatever screwed to the top so now you have a tea tray. Turn it over so the top's down. 6no 4x2 legs of your comfortable height (Nige- no comments from you buddy :-) ) couple of additional 4x2's from front to back bracing the legs. Turn the whole thing over. Voila. Bolt on vice as appropriate. Screw to wall for extra stability if required. Took me an hour or so the other night. Dead easy.

really needs diagonal braces,to sides and back.,especially near vice area.Add lip round the edge to prevent things dropping down the back,paint the 3/4 plywood top with bright colour plastic cote.

I got some thick ply form a timber merchants with a clue of corners damaged. Got them to cut it in half so I could double up - cost me a fiver. Defo make sure you get the height sorted to something comfortable. Mines higher than normal kitchen work surface height so I don't have to stoop etc.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ellie-Bo-Replacement-Medium-30-inch-Silver/dp/B009L1VMGK/ref=sr_1_fkmr2_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1411120365&sr=8-3-fkmr2&keywords=animal+cage+replacement+metal+tray

These are good for workbench top trays (especially if you are tight wad like me). Stop things, spillages etc from getting on the floor.