1976 930: standard restoration or 934 replica build

604Carsten

Hmm

decisions, decisions... I bought a 3.0 1976 turbo a while back to use as a future project, Its a black car with no factory sunroof so was a perfect candidate for whatever I felt like doing.

Its been fitted with a K27 turbo, garretson intercooler and bigger 16" fuchs etc so not quite standard for a 76 car.

I have been collecting bits to build it as a 934 and also spoken with Dom a few times regarding parts etc. but have now got this dilemma.

Seeing as values have gone nuts, via Hagerty and the Mangus Talker effect on especially early 1st Gen turbos, I am wondering if it makes more sense to simply return the car to standard ( remove IC, put normal whaletail on, etc) and leave it at that...

or simply go full hog, build a 934 thing that can be FIA approved and get on with enjoying life..?

If you plan to sell it in a couple of years then maybe reverting back to factory spec is a good idea from a value POV. But if it's a keeper then do what the hell you like with it, but do it properly and it'll always at least retain some good value of effort you have put in it. :)

I would collect the standard parts but I wouldn't change it back. What you have now is a better car to drive than going back to standard, so while you want to drive it, leave it as is.

Unless you really want an FIA 934, its a much riskier proposition in terms of return on investment - you have to spend a lot and then you are selling to a very limited market and what you are selling will always be a replica.

$0.02

There is something about running these cars standard, enjoying them as they were initially conceived with all their flaws. As a sentimentalist I enjoy driving it like it is remembering it was the super car if it's day.

Saying that I'm (when I eventually get around to it) making mine much more of a drivers car, sometimes it is a bit annoying as you really have to be aggressive to keep it on boil.

I'd say.. go balls out, full on 934 :)

heres my take on this..

Considering its only the ultra low milage cars that gain value and go up, and the amount of stock sitting around at the dealers for a loooong time, what is the real value of these cars?

My car is a legit 100k mile car, been used in California for its intended purpose, and as such has patina whilst in good condition still. This makes me wonder if it doesnt make sense to make the car stand out amongst the crowd.. it is afterall a 76 car with no sunroof, so perfect for FIA papers as a 934 clone...(man maths and convincing myself you see :).. stand out from the throng of average cars out there.

I have so far collected Arches, 120ltr fuel tank, crossbrace, coilover front legs, vented fully floating discs.. so slowly getting there in terms of parts needed.

you know how it is.. bolt-on stuff is easy to back track on, but cutting metal out of arches and wings means you cant go back to "ein hundert prozent orginal geil", so I really gotta make the right decision here.

Edited by 604Carsten

• 2 weeks later...

20k sounds like a lot but is you get a proper breakdown it soon starts to mount up (parts being the bugger).... the great thing with the turbo's is that 400 bhp doesnt require too many non standard parts..

if you want full 934 I know a chappy across the pond who has an awful lot of 934/35/17/56/62 parts. in excess of $12,000,000 apparently. hes very reasonable on his prices too.

I would guess (somewhat educated guess) that you are talking a 6 figure number to do an FIA papered 934 rep. The parts you need are rare and expensive. Dom would know the details.

If you don't do it right (ie., FIA spec), then you are just building a hotrod and that won't be worth as much as an original car IMHO. Nothing wrong with a hotrod, but an early turbo is not the best base car to start with.

I think, personally, your 76 non sunroof car should be put back to standard... its got to be worth a pretty penny as the Market is high....

I would build a 934 hotrod on a 964.

I'd be very concerned that even if you made a nut and bolt FIA papered 934 rep it would have zero providence and no history so it would still have minimal value in comparrsion to a real deal one. I might be wrong, but just thinking about how much you have in something in respect to what its worth, heaven forbid you had to get out of it sharpish. thoughts?

Jack

• 2 months later...

Bit of thread excavation, but I'm doing some work with air-cooled Porsche mate Dave Dennett at DSD Motorwerks (Essex) at the mo. He has built a really great Porsche 935 Kremer K3 replica on a similar base: debuted at Brands Hatch festival, will race this year (2015).

Cost will pass six figures pretty quickly building a proper FIA car. No chance of building a proper 934 motor for sensible money. The right boost enrichment fuel pump alone will cost £8-10k.

Building a roadgoing rep is another story but, as already stated a clean 3.0 will appeal to a wider market and maybe be nicer to run around in. The cars are in short supply so even high milers will fetch money.

If the focus is on doing something crisp and attractive, then period appearance with power upgrades is how I would go. Keep us in the loop.