Porsche 930 engine top end and transmission rebuild

Okay so engine built to long block timing done buttoned up ready to go. The following is the difference from a stock 3.2 engine or NA engine.

First off install the rear tinware then the oil scavenger housing followed by the pulley which runs the air injection (not on this engine) and then the oil pump which is refurbished with a new oil seal as is the housing. The two socket head screws make contact with the Pigot on the oil pump and scavenge the oil fro the turbo up over the bell housing via a hose and into the oil tank.

20150324_110318_zpszixkeduq.jpg

20150324_110953_zpswzr0k4pu.jpg

Install the engine shroud and oil cooler shroud plus the side and front r tinware.

next install the oil line feeding the turbo which runs diagonally across the top of the. It has a ball bearing in it which captures the oil to ensure there is oil in the line after the engine switches off. This is important as it ensure there is some oil for the turbo when the engine is first started up from cold.

20150324_121705_zps6xme27i9.jpg

Place the wiring loom on at this stage.

Install the alteration housing and connect the alternator. Don't forget the earth on to of the engine.

Install you cam feed oil lines and various sensors.

20150324_151905_zpsxztozsym.jpg

Install the injector blocks and hear ducting and associated tinware. There is also the oil pressure sensor and bracket for the air on on this side to go in.

20150324_162016_zpsw0x4up1q.jpg

20150324_162514_zpslnigkfhv.jpg

Okay install the intake manifold complete. Install the injectors (I will be revisiting this assembly later but as it's easier to refurbished in parts I will be doing it on the engine)

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

20150325_123110_zpste67kjci.jpg

20150325_123110_zpste67kjci.jpg

So decided to clean the injectors, had a look on pelica and found this good method. Genntly pull the conical enter out and capture it with some solder. Leave the injectors to soak over night in diesel injector clear. This stuff really works and eats through rust. Injectors came out beautifully but to ensure the was no debris I reverse pumped injector clear and then brake cleaner through the injectors.

Clear as a bell so really happy with that as they are expensive.

20150328_120116_zpswsvovu3r.jpg

20150328_120322_zpssbgymk2b.jpg

Although the metering head had recently been replaced I decided to remove the AFM and metering body to replace the gasket. Once again Russel at RSR has been on hand to help me with the foibles of these engines and took the time to explain the fueling of these turbos. There's a lot of mechanical bits and pieces not least of all (for example) if you end up on your roof the counter weight in the AFM drops to disengage the contact switch which runs your AFM relay(ghe yellow one) which runs your fuel pumps. Stops you burning to death. How thoughtful!

20150328_123916_zpsqmj8vrmh.jpg

20150328_125055_zpsiduxwknk.jpg

20150328_125113_zpsriqe0hyd.jpg

Okay at this point the engine carrier goes on and then the rear tinware. I've left the air on bracket off for the time being.

I then installed the fab speed headers and offered up the new k27 turbo.

Got some more to do today.

20150328_172346_zpspfgsn3bg.jpg

20150328_172150_zpscgmpwmkh.jpg

I'm waiting on a few ancillaries like the fuel injector lines and the turbosmart wastegate but will update when I get them.

• 4 weeks later...

Little update. Engine is now finished just waiting on the turbosmart wastegate as the flange was welded on wrongly and had to go back. ? Installed the clutch and the the transmission should be back next week.

Car is still in paint shop just been primered in black which looks really quite cool in the 80s regalia!

20150420_114057_zpseaawreh7.jpg

2015-04-23%2023.10.22_zpsgvb884cu.jpg

Really getting excited now.

Cheers Jimmy. Its a double ?but was already on the exsisting setup so the headers bolt straight on. Best bit for me was the overun popping of the exhaust. Looking forward to it again. Been so long!

• 2 months later...

Been swamped down with things so slow progress. Transmission is now rebuilt. Installed a turbosmart wastegate married the whole lot together and wreslted it in.

But trickier than i expected with all the bloody turbo hoses etc.

20150605_110308_zpsa9sbzfzz.jpg

Had a new wndscreen installed and the fuel tank iut and refurbed.

20150608_155518_zpsbx7inlyv.jpg

So put oil in it battery relays etc. Turned the engine over without connecting up the loom got pressure. Great. Connected loom up.... turned it over nice compressiony noises but no spark as cdi box is not whistling. Bollocks.

Defo got fuel as wur was leaking unleaded from the banjo bolt seal. Managed to strip the banjo bolt nipping it up. Have to wait for an m8 banjo from porsche. Pissed off now as am leaving for work the next day.

Other things that are niggling are the clutch as i cant adjust it correctly (needs a good looking at) and the indicators dont work but the hazards do. ?

No mot today then. That was three weeks ago so getting home tomorrow to look at it with fresh eyes.

If any cdi gurus and leccy fundies got any ideas regards the cdi box and the indicators would be greatly appreciated. I hate electrics. ?

If any cdi gurus and leccy fundies got any ideas regards the cdi box and the indicators would be greatly appreciated. I hate electrics.

ImpMad200 (Andy ?) on DDK fixed my SC's broken CDI box for about £100 :ani_clapping:

Cheers Gary my next port of call if it proves to not be something simple. Johnny heart got hold of me and has said it might be a 12v feed that i havent connected buried in the aluminum panel. Im gonna try that first.

ImpMad200 (Andy ?) on DDK fixed my SC's broken CDI box for about £100 :ani_clapping:

Turns out it was the 12v feed for the cdi box. All working fine now and the indicators have started working. Cranked the engine over no oil pressure. Think it might be the oil pressure sender. I know yheres defo oil in it but dont want to muller the turbo so have one on order for friday. ?

th_20150702_162704_zpsecy4ni32.jpg

Well sorted the clutch today. Flashed her up theres no oil pressure but im 90% sure theres oil going through everything as when i removed the sender today the cam feeds were full of oil as was the turbo scavenger tank. Still im not doing anything until the new one atives tomorrow to give me that comfort feeling. Font want a cooked turbo on my hands. The old pressure sendor was electroplated by accident so suspect its mullered the internals.

Its got a mossfire or needs some static timing just hunting for some info on specs at the min. Got mot tomorrow then hopefully a little shake down period.

Cheers Jev. Turns out it was the sender. Had the mot needs a front new wheel bearing. Did the timung 25 degrees for sc cams at 4k revs. Cars got a miss which goes away on boost but the turbo comes on so quick at 3.5k its hard to keep the revs down. Took it for a test drive stuttering and hunting but as soon as the boost comes in its seameless. Think it might be a plug or maybe an injector. But now ive blown a gasket on nthe headers so will need to sort that. Before i can tackle this missfire. Bloody nora! This fuel injection system aint half complicated??

Well first slap on the wrist is the lambda hole on the fabspeed headers had a blank in it which when it fell out as I hadn't tightened it sounded like a gasket had gone. Something I didn't think about as I assumed it would have been nipped up fro the factory. Anyways that accounts for the noise then but still stumped with this hunting and missfire. At mid throttle it's there and until about 3.5k in addition it's there at idle but not very noticeable. It's got new plugs leads and a new warm up reg which was in spec and when disconnecting all the leads in succession there's a notable drop for each piston which leads me to be leave its a fueling or vac issue. Has anybody else had a eureka moment with these cis systems after fault analysis. Running out of options now so frustrating.

Ok so im gonna put this thread to bed. After much head scratching and finally getting my hands in to the fuel filter and accumulator hadnt been out in years. I remember when cleaning the 5ank that there was a lot of rust like sediment came out. The fuel was also quite yellow. Anyway my fault for not changing the filter out straight away.

This was the fuel in the filter intake side.

20150705_170635_zpspjxlxmty.jpg

20150705_171924_zpsdvomfiee.jpg

Outlet side was a bit yellow but clearly this has mullered the injectors.

Cleaned everyhing up put new filter in and went for a burn.

What a difference still a bit hestant but cleared up towards the end of the drive. 3 gear is a bloody rocket ship huge wave of torque. V pleased.

Ive got plenty to do yet but at least its back on the road.

Hope to catch up in persom with the ib crowd soon.

Cheers

20150705_201404_zpsum8knpx5.jpg

Dave

If tou need any tips mate just send meva pm or post in the forum. Like all these engines if enough people have the same problems we will eventually come up with some canny solutions. Its a pity theres not much info out there on 911 turbos.

Cheers Dave, I've built plenty of normally aspirated engines but this will my first turbo, I'm also intending to use SC cams. I have Rarly8 headers, a K27/29 hybrid turbo and intend using an adjustable WUR and programable ignition to make the most of it. Will also fit an AFR gauge to make sure I don't melt the engine when I'm messing with the tuning!

Aiming for 400hp and to bring the boost in lower down the Rev range.

Will be using a 5speed G50 gearbox.

Will start a new thread when I start.

Cheers

Jon

• 1 month later...