Oil change

Thinking of doing an oil change but how do you get the oil out of the oil cooler? Is there a front drain off in the cooler?

Want to get it all out as I'm thinking of switching to Swepco 306 and I think it currently has a modern synthetic oil.

Once fully drained how do you get it fully filled until the oil thermostat opens? Do you just let the engine ticker until it opens or has anyone tried a hot air gun on the stat to get it open.

You won't get the oil out of the front the cooler without splitting the lines and pumping it out or removing the cooler itself. Splitting the lines can be a pain in the bum too.

Regarding the thermostat, that won't open at idle unless you got an overheating problem. They only open when you are really giving it some beans.

Why are you wanting to put Swepco 306 in it? Swepco's website says it's for trucks and tractors?

http://swepcolube.com/products/swepco-306-supreme-formula-engine-oil

Personally I stick with a modern synthetic. Didn't these come from the factory filled with Shell Helix which itself is fully sythetic?

I've just done mine, put in 10 litres of 10W60 Mobil1 Motorsport and it needed about another 0.25 litres on the dipstick.

I was at the recent PistonHeads meet at Porsche Silverstone, they had displays showing films of Porsche engine technology and all the films had the Mobil1 logo in the corner - what's the betting the 10W60 Porsche classic oil is the Mobil1 product? :)

very well Dr,will rephrase this-IMHO oil 911=old oil ,and my onions & comments are emission free..

But Nige said this:

Personally I stick with a modern synthetic. Didn't these come from the factory filled with Shell Helix which itself is fully sythetic?

:unsure:

I'm with Kieran with the Millers nano :twocents:

Sorry for starting this but I only wanted to know how to get rid of as much as possible of the old oil before putting the new oil in.

Rich , don't aplogise - oil is a very emotive topic :homersimpson: lol

kieran

@ Dr Rock - so you got hooked on snake oil as well :ani_nerd:

Espeically as the OP didn't ask about oil type, just the procedure!

RichD1, +1 that you dont need to worry about getting it all out. Only time I have done it is when I dropped all the lines and cooler and had them apart. Refilling was a pain as you then have to fill with the 10 litres or so and then keep topping up as the level drops after the tstat has opened. It was a hot day when I did this and I also had heats lamps etc to help open it. Even so it took ages. I certainly wouldnt have bothered with a normal change.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.