Classic Retrofit Replacement Fuse Panels

Replacement Fuse Panel  

81 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Yeah, I found the same. The lights on mine are at least as good as my daily.

Windows and sunroof are much more eager too.

...and £1,574 less than RPM's Nolden kit!

Haven't tried the windows yet; kept them up as i had the roof down. T'was a bit chilly on the M11 into London at 7 last night!

• 4 months later...

Just had a quick skim through the thread (having just been fiddling with my fuses to get my indicators working).

Could you please just give me a quick overview on replacing the fuse block on my 1987 3.2? Is your kit all-inclusive and could you let me have the cost with carriage please? (TIPEC discount?)
Does your block take standard blade fuses? Sorry if these questions have already been answered but its a big thread!

• 4 months later...

Hi All,

I've recently purchased a 1983 sc thats been backdated to 1970 911s look. The conversion was done by a well known firm and cost the original owner a very considerable amount of money.

I have been surprised at the number of what I can only describe as "short cuts" taken during the conversion. Now this could be because the OP didn't want to spend more than a fixed budget ..(although he did spend very close to six figures!!), or the builders attention to detail was very poor indeed and what couldn't be seen by the owner was just ignored.

The fuse board is just one example of many.

I've just installed one of Johnny's fuse boards. I simply swapped like for like as directed, so have had no issues and everything works as it did with old board. Took about an hour to complete.

You will see from the pic below that there was no fuse in position 6...The fuel pump I think? (green circle)

I am assuming that the main feeds for the fuel pump, are the thick RED wires, now both at no 4 TOP (25amp) and no 8 BOTTOM(16amp). See Blue arrows. There is also a bridge wire (red arrow) between no 7 & 8 (both 16amp) that I have't seen on other cars.... Any ideas what this is or why this would be required?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/146414303@N08/shares/76a579

There is also another peculiar problem that existed before I changed the board. If the side lights are switched on and I indicate left or right, then the dip-beam headlights switch on. If I push the stalk to main-beam, the lights then switch off. Indicating when the stalk is in main-beam position at outset, does not switch on the lights.... I hope this all makes sense.

Does anyone have any ideas on either of these Issues.

Thanks for your help.

R

Firstly, I refer to the fuses as B-N, when B is the block number and N is the fuse (this is how the numbering is on the inside lid and the physical blocks). There are three blocks from left to right they are 3 way, 10 way and 8 way. Hence 2-3 means block 2, fuse 3 which is the sixth fuse from the left.

Fuse 2-3 is the fuel pump fuse. Usually, this is fed by a plain red wire that comes from the top of fuse 2-8. Fuses 2-4 and 2-5 should not be linked at the top. Out panel 'takes care' of all links anyway - the links being marked with white bars between the terminals.

Since the fuel pump requires a 25A fuse, initially I thought this has been swapped to use either 2-2 or 2-1 but I can't see the fat red wire on the bottom of either of those.

Please note on the Porsche wiring diagrams be aware that they have a different numbering scheme - they number the fuses right to left 1 to 21.

Edited by Jonny Hart

Jonny, thanks for the reply.

I have replicated this exact wiring with your new board, missing out 2-3 and all is working as it was previously. I had guessed that the wiring may be incorrect, so want to put it right.

Are you suggesting I remove the bridge wire between 2-4 & 2-5 ?

There are three thick wires on the bottom, 1-1, 1-3 and 2-5. The fuse ratings on my panel are also unlike any reference I have seen, so I suspect I will have to get an auto electrician to sort this, as its way over my head.

R

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...
7 hours ago, Carrera32TargaSp said:

Hi Johnny,

Do these circuit breakers fit in your fuseboards with the covers on? I'm guessing not..?

https://www.autoelectricsupplies.co.uk/product/285/category/60

Thanks!

Doubt it, we've only just got clearance to the cover with the standard fuses.  They look twice as tall.

• 10 months later...
  • 1 year later...
1 hour ago, semprini27 said:

Any chance of a photo of wiring colours into terminals for comparison ? Pretty please?

Doc got a bit carried away with the fire lighters last bbq 🍖 🍗 season. But it’s ok, he’s looking for another bbq now. Too soon? 

28 minutes ago, Busybee said:

Doc got a bit carried away with the fire lighters last bbq 🍖 🍗 season. But it’s ok, he’s looking for another bbq now. Too soon? 

Oh bugger, I forgot about that!! Sorry!!

Mine still doesn't start :(

Can't see any obvious problems having re-checked against Wingnonut's pic.

2 hours ago, Wingnonut said:

Here is mine on an ‘89 if that helps. 

38D43376-2F9E-4B33-921D-815372B0703D.jpeg

Any chance of a clearer shot of the lower wires if you get a chance?

I had a similar problem with my SC and Jonnny was very helpful but it was difficult diagnosing at distance. I eventually fashioned a work around to get the car to GCR for them to fix.  Their electrician (slightly ironically called Lukas but very clever) noticed I had a couple of wires in non-standard positions.  I had transposed everything accurately but my car's wiring had been changed slightly at some stage in its past.  Lukas figures out the best way might be to return the wiring to standard, part of which was removing a bridge, and it it worked straight away.  It may be worth checking to see whether your car's wiring is all in the standard positions.