Classic Retrofit Replacement Fuse Panels

Replacement Fuse Panel  

81 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I ran into a few problems when fitting mine. Nothing to do with the fuse board, just the cars wonky wiring. The fuse boards are really nicely made.

For me, the only time the Haynes Manual has actually been of any use is for electrical diagrams. They have very specific fuse board diagrams for all IB years in the back. If you've got a copy then I would cross reference each individual wire to make sure they are all correct. May be worth a go.

9 hours ago, ALEX P said:

I ran into a few problems when fitting mine. Nothing to do with the fuse board, just the cars wonky wiring. The fuse boards are really nicely made.

For me, the only time the Haynes Manual has actually been of any use is for electrical diagrams. They have very specific fuse board diagrams for all IB years in the back. If you've got a copy then I would cross reference each individual wire to make sure they are all correct. May be worth a go.

The Haynes manual I have only has diagrams up to 85 so I’m working through the Bentley version noting the colour and fuse positions. 

I seem to have some extra wires - white into both indicator terminals which I guess is to do with the alarm - and a green along the top which I have in terminal 4 (next to the fuel pump) of “board 1” whereby Wingnonut has no wire in that terminal. 

if I don’t spot anything else I’ll try with these wires removed and see what happens. 

Update - Turns out my rogue green wire that wasn't referenced anywhere was to do with the immobiliser! It lives in Terminal 8 of Board 1 - who knew! 

It's the immobiliser that's connected to the central locking so I assumed it was standard fit but it's not referenced in any wiring diagram known to mankind - well, none that I could find anyway.

IMG_1754.jpeg

On 4/6/2020 at 4:37 PM, Busybee said:

Good stuff 👍

Good to hear. Unfortunately my 89 is still not running. Hot wiring the fuel pump showed it's fine, replaced the DME relais and tested with a spare DME, same result. I have absolutely no clue what else could be the problem with the fuel pump not running when trying to start the car. Any ideas?

Guido

mi.jpg

I just found the cause! I blew all of my 3 DME Relais while testing yesterday (when i had an obviously wrong wiring). I just fixed one Relais and the car started right away. I am such an idiot... 

Thank you Jon Hart for your great support via email…

Best regards from Berlin

Guido

• 8 months later...
  • 5 months later...
1 hour ago, Chris_911 said:

Quick question - how long should I allow to fit it? Half day? Couple of hours?

Depends on how long your back lasts. Think it took me a morning, so say 4 hours.

• 2 weeks later...

So I fitted my new fuse panel but now cannot get the car to start.

I was meticulous in swapping the wires over. I have checked all connections - all seem good.

I have checked the fuel pump fuse and for continuity across the fuse panel connections. All good.

The car turns over absolutely fine but I don't believe it's getting any fuel. Have swapped out the (new) DME relay but no change.

Can't smell any fuel at the rear of the car after it has been turned over.

It's too hot to work on it any more this afternoon.

Are there any common pitfalls I should be checking at the fuse panel - given it's only the fuse panel that has been touched??

Edited by Chris_911

As Nige says, jump the pump, unlikely this would fail simultaneously with the fuse board work though..if it’s working I would suspect the fuel pump relay.the round red job. The only other thing is immobiliser if you have one of course

11 hours ago, Northy said:

@Chris_911 jump the fuel pump to confirm it’s working? 

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/9139291-post22.html

That's my next step - it's possible the pump may have failed coincident with the fuse board change. It's a new pump but need to rule it out.

I need to confirm that the fuel pump is seeing 12v though - if it's not then operating it with a switch won't lead to the right conclusion.

7 hours ago, Jonny Hart said:

Alarm?  Aftermarket wires are easy to identify as they don’t have the crimped brass ends.    

There is an immobiliser fitted but that appears to be working correctly. I know it cuts the starter and there should also be a fuel pump cut out so I need to trace that.

But if I have transferred the wires correctly....

More investigation required.

I have been working through various checks this morning, including checking all of the fuse panel wires against the manual diagrams.

Red/Grn DME wire out of place on the fuse panel.

All good now....

When you think you've been meticulous but haven't....

• Like 1