RichD1

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

31 minutes ago, Wingnonut said:

For £399 it could be just the thing but I still worry about the whole weight of the car being supported on the floor pan. Am I being overly cautious?

yes . I thought the same prior to buying it, but it honestly has been fine. there must be enough rigidity/strength in the pan, and the load is spread enough not to cause an indent/strain.

I know this is off topic but we had an AGA moved, one of those gas guzzling cookers that weighs a ton( bit like our cars ). Anyway the plumber arrived with 3 short sections of 6 inch drainage/soil, I thought what are you doing with that?  well he rolled the AGA to its new position on the pipe it squashed to a flattish oval but it didn't break. gobsmacked I was . 

The laws of physics !! 

back to the lift - would not be without it.

I must admit I have been using it mainly on a 912 resto which is a lighter car-smaller engine, and there is enough clearance to get the lift in from the side.

on the 911 it is a lower car,so I use a trolley jack to raise the car at the jacking point, and put the lift under the car either the from the rear or front, but once its in away you go and can easily tilt back and forth as per the video. My SC was up on the lift for a month or 2 last winter as had to drill out exhaust studs etc  whilst changing to SSIs.

it saves a lot of time. I reckon I can get the 911 up in a few minutes , the 912 in a minute!

Floor pan is no different

hope that helps

Andrew

c6f71a216418b70c203c065ea19c8627.jpg4d115d40aa6d32f46fc845b1b62b405b.jpg

There you go.
It's not at full extension 2nd pic is tilted forwards and it's at a really nice height to work in the engine bay made valve adjustment on the 911 not such a back ache!
Took me 2 mins to get it into position and drill it up. To get it back down just reverse the drill

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 minute later it is down and rolled out
The dimensions of the top rubber bit are 80x14 cm each e89bf7c2cc918b6e3efd509ea14a9a6d.jpg

HTH
You are all welcome to come and see if you're passing.

Andrew

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is on my wish list. Thanks Andrew.

Simon, I had my SC up on axle stand on the four corner of the floor pan / sill a few years back if I remember correctly. I am sure there is a diagram somewhere that shows all the jacking / stand points and I am sure the four corners are included in that.

I'm not really sure about the advantage to be honest. I can get the back of my car almost 3 feet of the ground in less than 5 minutes using a proper trolley jack. Beefy axle stands, job done.

Don't get me wrong, if my garage was big enough I would have a two post lift in a heart beat.

• 3 months later...

Afternoon, bit of a thread resurrection, but I'm after some advice/guidance. Apologies in advance for the silly question!

Looking to do replace the rear calipers on my '89 3.2. For that I will need to remove calipers and get them sent off so all in all its likely to need to be on axle stands for 3-4 weeks.

What do you guys think about having the rear on Axle stands for a month with the front still on the floor ( with chock blocks in front of tyres) Any issues with this (possibly over thinking regarding compression of front suspension for an amount of time)?

When I did mine a few years ago I used a firm who did an exchange scheme, I got the new refurb units and sent back the old ones and got a refund, unfortunately I can’t recall who I used, but they were really good . Start to finish all done in a week and that was all four.

Graham

2 minutes ago, GrahamTompkins said:

When I did mine a few years ago I used a firm who did an exchange scheme, I got the new refurb units and sent back the old ones and got a refund, unfortunately I can’t recall who I used, but they were really good . Start to finish all done in a week and that was all four.

Graham

Hi Graham, that sounds like a good option, at the moment I've found one place which refurbs the actual unit, might look into the exchange /refund option. Many thanks. 

5 minutes ago, Wingnonut said:

Can’t you just stick the wheels back on and drop it back down if you are concerned.

Sounds sensible, and obvious. You can tell I'm a novice! :)

52 minutes ago, Harry0075 said:

Hi Graham, that sounds like a good option, at the moment I've found one place which refurbs the actual unit, might look into the exchange /refund option. Many thanks. 

Sounds sensible, and obvious. You can tell I'm a novice! :)

I’ve just had my rear calipers reconditioned by Brake Engineering in Wrexham. As far as I know, they don’t deal with the public, only their approved dealers etc. I took my calipers into my local motor factors and they sent them off to Brake Engineering and they were returned in a week. Really good price too! 

Maybe you could try that?

Regards

Russ

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.