What polish to use?

Hi folks, I have a diamond blue celebratory model targa and wanting to give it a good polish soon. Any recommendations of polish/wax etc and whether it's worth me purchasing one of those flash electric polishers???

Any advice appreciated rather than simply taking Halfords advice!!

Autoglym is OK, however for a pro finish you need at least a DA and some decent polishes (various cuts) sealant, wax etc. Meguiars as above is very good.

303 vinyl/fabric cleaner followed by 303 high tec fabric guard for the roof.

I have used clay bar twice (Bilt Hammer) - it made such a big difference . Some panels had a 'rough' feel, but after clay barring they had that very smooth finish. I then polished it with Autoglym products ... All came up to a big shine. I didn't have any paint on the clothes like VT above, and used both their polishes. Also, I found buying some proper polishing clothes helped ....Halfords sell them.

M.

Have a look on detailing world...

Nooooooooooooo ! :smash:

67.jpg:rlol:

I don't know what's worse, two blokes taking a picture of 1mm paint blemish of the roof of some Dagenham dustbin or the bloke taking a picture of two blokes taking a picture of 1mm paint blemish of the roof of some Dagenham dustbin !? :rolleyes:

Edited by GaryH

I have a diamond blue anniversary Coupe - its a hard colour to make shiny as its not a deep glossy colour

I have just polished mine with autoglym ultra deep shine then sealed with collinite 476 wax - beads water off well and seems to stay glossy, I machine polished my car about a year ago with farecla to improve the gloss and polishing it in this way tends to keep it shiny

Looks reasonably ok - wont win any awards on detailing world :D

15923148400_6614f9021b_z.jpgUntitled by alexb1969, on Flickr

Think of cleaning like painting - preparation is everything! Use a clay bar (bilt hamber mentioned earlier uses water as a lube) to get a smooth surface (try putting your hand in a supermarket bag to check for lumps). Then gently do any paint correction (small scratches or swirls) using a polisher and something like farecla. After this you can glaze if you wish or go straight to polish. Most polishes will look great straight away but may not last - you usually do get what you pay for. I now use a Victoria wax which is great. There are dozens of websites giving detailed info on the various processes so look at these and decide how anal you are!!

Oh wow, thanks, I'd forgotten all about the VXR thread...!

Brings to mind my old mans saying....."Son, you can polish a ****, but underneath it'll still be a ****." Very profound was my dad.

Substitute the **** for the letters T.U.R.D.

VT

I have a rotary DA polisher: can't remember which one but it is a good thing. Bought it to refresh the Big Pig after the vinyl lettering came off it. I used it as part of a clay - Meguiars paint cleaner - Menzerna compounds - Zymol routine on the Cayenne and worked a treat. Nice little present to oneself if you ever have the spare cash.

edit: just found the Porsche Cayenne paint correction story on Ferdinand Magazine. It's a DAS Pro 6.

Porsche-Cayenne-Paint-Correction-7.jpg

... but none would be truly great without clay.

..too right.

No point bothering to try to make paint look better without starting with clay plus is makes the rest of the process loads less ballache.