1977 Carrera 3.0 - keep "original"? (Engine choices)

Biopsea

I really appreciate all the feedback. I am truly stumped on which direction to head. Talk of "the bubble" has me hesitant to purchase the Carrera 3.0 liter i have found (3x cost of a 3.6 beast) but i yearn for originality.

Hope to continue this discussion, and appreciate the outpouring of advice and friendly banter.

I really appreciate all the feedback. I am truly stumped on which direction to head. Talk of "the bubble" has me hesitant to purchase the Carrera 3.0 liter i have found (3x cost of a 3.6 beast) but i yearn for originality.

As much as I'm a die hard 3.6'er I think if you have a chance to buy a decent proper 3.0 lump for 3x3.6 you should probably jump on it or at least haggle as best you can. You can always find another 3.6, a proper 3.0 less so.

As much as I'm a die hard 3.6'er I think if you have a chance to buy a decent proper 3.0 lump for 3x3.6 you should probably jump on it or at least haggle as best you can. You can always find another 3.6, a proper 3.0 less so.

+1

• 1 month later...

just an update. I took the plunge on a rebuilt 930/02 from a very well respected source. excited and can't wait to get in into the car. I'm sure the difference between my california spec/choked to within an inch of its life 2.7 and a fresh 930/02 will be significant.

it's my understanding the 930/02 came with the 6 bolt flywheel from the 2.7RS, while the 2.7 has a 9 bolt. will this be a problem? the 915 in the car is in great shape, and I recently changed the fluid to swepco 201; made a very noticeable difference. anyone who hasn't done it, spend the $50 bucks and do it stat.

next up is some suspension freshening. the shocks are definitely tired and the bushes all need replaced. haven't learned enough about torsion bars and other components so any advice is greatly appreciated.

• 2 years later...
On 5/1/2015 at 8:06 PM, Biopsea said:

Hello All, and happy New Year. I have owned a 1977 Carrera 3.0 for 4 years or so. Purchased on Ebay sight unseen. Yes, a bit scary but the process was a pleasant one.

The car itself is in great condition. Unfortunately, and for reasons unbeknownst to me, the original engine was replaced with a 2.7

Not sure if the original met its maker (doubt it) or if it was removed and used in motorsport or sold separately (likely).

Anyhow, looking to put a few dollars into the car and am uncertain as to how to move forward. Should i locate an "original" 930/02 (very very pricey) or have a local shop rebuild and install a later 3.4 or 3.6 from a 964/993 and just enjoy driving her?

I know I know. It's up to me. However, prices of this relatively rare vehicle (at least in the USA) have yet to ride the wave of recent appreciation. 930/02 engines are hard to locate and very expensive. The only good news is the strong dollar as of late. Definitely helps when buying in Europe with USD.

Again, I know this is a personal decision. Just looking for some other opinions. As Seinfeld said, and i paraphrase, my car is probably a "death car" (meaning never to be sold), so why bother with worrying about resale. But we all have a number. Regards,

Is it the engine ( nummer: 6660088 ) you are looking for?

I discovered that I had bought  the wrong engine to my 2.7S - for 5-6 years ago, when the block was damaged by a workshop. I lose interest in the car because  the "matching numbers" disappeared.

But it might not be as bad after all.

https://get.google.com/albumarchive/114479229118429029136/album/AF1QipOYi8A6eV3mpNgS8zBS0WuApp2sWbvpoVKrAZML

MSN msn@tsv.dk