Who Hillclimbs or Sprints with their IB?

Stuarts

Afternoon all,

Now my car is finished, I'm thinking of giving it a few airings this year. Just wanted to know who out there does some hillclimbing or sprinting in their car?

I'm in the Midlands, other than a modified exhaust, my SC is mechanically standard (though has gone on a fair diet) and has a rear cage, decent seats & harnesses.

Cheers

I have sprinted and hillclimbed an IB for the last 17 years and compete in the Porsche Speed Championship. It is very good and there are a great set of competitors. Details are on the Porsche GB Motorsport site including a new Hillclimb only Championship.

If you want any more information then please ask.

Ian

Saw a guy with what looked like a mid 80's Targa (Why a Targa? Because it's the car he already had!) at Shelsey 2 years ago. Pretty standard, I think, and road legal as he drove it to the track, apart from the slicks which he took to the track in a little trailer he towed behind the car.

Have Sprinted in West Mids...........in a 205 GTi, GREAT FUN and safe, one other guy used to run his yellow 911 Targa which went OK..........if you want to try it then go along to Curborough on a race day to see what it is all about, they also hire the track out (has been used by IB a couple of times)

You don't need to modify the car very much

Spooky this was posted up as I was on the Prescott hill climb website only yesterday! They have a hill climb school there that I intended signing up for some fun and the experience and was going to let you guys know to try and make an IB day out of it. Sadly it's fully booked until 2016 !! So I didn't bother. :(

I fancy trying a bit of hillclimbing, felt same last year but what puts me off is they are always a long trek from home and then only last minutes! Look good fun though

Although you get very little track time, the time you do get will give you a real buzz. You need to be on it immediately and if you speak to a few of the guys who circuit race and sprint & hill climb they will confirm.

This is the Porsche Club GB Motorsport site that gives details of the 2015 season:-

http://www.porscheclubmotorsport.co.uk/race_series/speed_championship

heh, i'd probably have to have a gearbox rebuild first to make my 1st & 2nd slick and smooth like it should be :rolleyes:

but the club speed champs do sound appealing for some sprint and hillclimb fun

Edited by MarkJ

Spooky this was posted up as I was on the Prescott hill climb website only yesterday! They have a hill climb school there that I intended signing up for some fun and the experience and was going to let you guys know to try and make an IB day out of it. Sadly it's fully booked until 2016 !! So I didn't bother. :(

I fancy trying a bit of hillclimbing, felt same last year but what puts me off is they are always a long trek from home and then only last minutes! Look good fun though

Have you tried this.?

I have been a few times to spectate ,they have a school as well

http://www.gurstondown.org

• 5 weeks later...

I've been hillclimbing and sprinting mine since I bought it in 2009. Midland Hillclimb championship takes in Prescott, Shelsley Walsh and Loton Park. Bugatti Owners Club has the Prescott Gold Cup. I would suggest you stay in the road going class as competiton is a bit stiff otherwise. Have also sprinted a few times at Goodwood. Brighton Speed Trials is a good fun day. You will always be welcome in a classic Porsche.

• 2 months later...

Just another viewpoint, I competed in the Porsche Club GB championship for some years mid 90's to mid 2000's in a midly modifed 3.2 Carrera but fully road registered and usable. Whilst it was fun I found that if you want to drive there and use a pretty standard car it became difficult to remain competitive. There was always the guy who had more money, a trailer, full motor-home, support crew etc. Also as mentioned elsewhere, you only really get 5 minutes competitive driving over a whole weekend if you are lucky. I turned to track days after that, reasoning it was far better value of on the limit driving for your money, only negative being it wasn't purely competitive. Now with values of our cars sadly I can't see me doing either in future.

• 3 months later...

After doing the Porsche Silverstone day, skid pan, ice hill it really honed and improved my skills.

Tips I learnt were ( what I can still remember !)

Use the full width of the track up on the kerbs

Have a sightline to aim to

Stay on the gas

Look to where you want to go, and your hands will automatically follow, it works !

Smooth small inputs on the steering wheel held in a 10 & 2 position

After doing a track day in Mondello on Friday last, it started to rain in the mid afternoon , which made driving very interesting,

ones steering, braking , accelerating inputs , had to be very precise and planned and measured , as it was very slippy .

I enjoyed these conditions best, as you find out very quickly what a different car the 911 is on a wet track.

Rds

Jasper

• 4 weeks later...

Hillclimbing and sprinting is a great way to do some motorsport in your road car. I have always kept mine relatively standard and driven to events rather than use a trailer.

It really saddens me to hear people say that due to rising values they can no longer risk doing hillclimbs or track days. You only have to push the car as far as you are comfortable with and if you have an incident it will be down to you, unlike circuit racing or, as it happens, driving on public roads with all the idiots out there!

Never mind what you think your car is worth, get out there and enjoy driving it in the manner it was designed for. Just look at some of the VSCC boys in kit far more valuable than ours!

• 10 months later...

I'm hoping to do a few sprints and hill climbs in the 911 next year. I have one question for those that have done this, what do you do about a tow hook/loop for the front of the car?

If it is a standard road car at the moment you can use the existing tow bracket at the front of the torsion bar, all you would need to do is mark 'tow' just under the front spoiler or an arrow in yellow or the like. I have installed a through the bumper tow bracket, but others use straps, have a look at Demon Tweeks catalogue.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Ian

Thanks Ian.

I ran the red 997 turbo in the AMOC series with Mike in 2014. It was a lot of fun and I'm hoping to have another go.

It won't now be in the yellow 911 though, I sold it yesterday.

The engine needed a top end rebuild which I didn't have funds for. The engine builder knew someone who would be interested and the deal was done.

A sad day but no point dwelling on it, there are plenty of other cars out there.