Porsche die-cast models

RichD1

I've been collecting them since I was six years old, so I've got more than a hundred.

Some of them are quite rare because they were made by companies that went bust or were incorporated into other manufacturers (UT and Paul's Model Art mainly) and others had really limited production runs (Exoto only made 70 of the weathered 935 and the last one I saw for sale went for $1200!). However I don't think I could bring myself to sell them, some of them have been with me since I was a nipper and have travelled around the world. Back in the nineties I bought a Maisto 325i convertible while on holiday in Siena and brought it back to Australia as hand luggage, now it's back in Siena again. The model's only probably worth about €15, but I could never part with it...

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

this is for Giovanni

bought this today

post-3031-0-50849000-1428254173_thumb.jpg

I am buying quicker than my list is growing so hopefully there will be an end to all this madness

Also made the mistake of totting up how much I've spent, wish I hadn't done that and hope my wife doesn't find the spread sheet I worked it all out on :cry:

I like that a lot I do...

I went on a bit of a spree these past few weeks.

Fina Bigazzi short tail

Loctite long tail

Franck Muller short tail

Plain black long tail

Art Sports/Ueno Clinic short tail

Fina long tail (which got very broken in transit)

io18cz2lqfponpeygim2.jpg

Going to have to make a dedicated McLaren shelf...

15092931155_a5d5ee88dd_b.jpg

I'mpressive collection, love the LM, shame about the damage, I've repaired worse but not that small

Bought another 3 since my last post, got the full F1 grid for 95 and 98 Le Mans and only 1 car away from the full F1 grid for 96 and 97 Le Mans, still need to buy a LM and GT longtail road car

Also counted up my F1 race cars got 2 full grids worth and still need to buy another grids worth,then I've got my full set

My single Porsche 908 looks lonely, it needs a 909 to go with it

• 3 months later...

I have a few that I kept from 70's - none is a collector item as I played with them (usually by crashing them into each other for some reason - JPS Lotus F1 always won but chitty chitty bang bang was the prettiest). Been meaning to buy a few of my fav Porsche models but no idea about what make to go for, is there a gold standard?

Hot Wheels have just done a Porsche collection of 8 cars which I obviously had to by for my boy :)

post-1575-0-81624000-1438627167_thumb.jpg

£2.50 each so not daft money like some of the other stuff!

Pic seems to have gone sideways for some reason, sorry

Edited by BenC

This thread resurrection has spurned me into doing a stock check with photos, will post up pics tomorrow.

Giovanni, F1 shelf is looking good, I've nearly finished my 1/43 F1 collection, got every car that raced at Le mans, just need to buy the road car versions to complete it

Then on to 1/18, want to buy all the road car versions and highest placed 95, 96, 97 and 98 Le Mans race cars.

Mondrian I started with 1/18 scale as I've been given quite a few through work but now down sized to1/43 scale. More of the cars I collect are available in this scale, also 1/18 would take up too much room and cost too much. The detail on 1/43 cars is very good, a large number of cars in a big frame on a wall I think looks very impressive. My advice would be choose a scale and theme, stick with it as I'm sure undisciplined collecting can get out of hand very quickly.

Most of my cars are Minichamps which are a very good quality metal car, also have a few IXO again metal but not quite as good quality as Minichamps but still very presentable. Also have a couple of Onyx Indy 500 cars which are rubbish quality but had no choice as two cars I wanted were from this manufacturer. TSM are also good and HPI are similar to IXO. For top quality you are into hand built white metal and resin model, I'll need to bite the bullet on commissioning a few of these one day.

I did have a look at the brands suggested by runner on those sites but they were all race models and no production models which is my primary interest - would I have better luck with 1/43 if so which brands?

I bought a couple of di-cast models recently one of which was a Norev. It's actually a 930 whilst I have a 911SC but I bought it because it's the same colour as mine - Minerva Blue. I am very pleased with it - decent quality for the £ and not too cacky to me!! Its the same scale as the models I have of my previously owned powder blue TR4 Surrey Top and my current owned Z3M Roadster s54 in Estoril blue so really pleased to now have the "set". Good to see fellow die cast enthusiasts!! How sad are we?

I've also been after a Minichamps 911SC coupe model for years and finally tracked down a black version a few weeks ago. Trouble was it was in Denmark and had no box! Still I went for it and it's a great quality model.

This thread resurrection has spurned me into doing a stock check with photos, will post up pics tomorrow.

Giovanni, F1 shelf is looking good, I've nearly finished my 1/43 F1 collection, got every car that raced at Le mans, just need to buy the road car versions to complete it

Then on to 1/18, want to buy all the road car versions and highest placed 95, 96, 97 and 98 Le Mans race cars.

Mondrian I started with 1/18 scale as I've been given quite a few through work but now down sized to1/43 scale. More of the cars I collect are available in this scale, also 1/18 would take up too much room and cost too much. The detail on 1/43 cars is very good, a large number of cars in a big frame on a wall I think looks very impressive. My advice would be choose a scale and theme, stick with it as I'm sure undisciplined collecting can get out of hand very quickly.

Most of my cars are Minichamps which are a very good quality metal car, also have a few IXO again metal but not quite as good quality as Minichamps but still very presentable. Also have a couple of Onyx Indy 500 cars which are rubbish quality but had no choice as two cars I wanted were from this manufacturer. TSM are also good and HPI are similar to IXO. For top quality you are into hand built white metal and resin model, I'll need to bite the bullet on commissioning a few of these one day.

I'm officially out of space in my garage. I bought a couple of Nismo Skylines last month and don't have anywhere to put them. I'm now concentrating solely on McLaren F1s, 550 Maranellos and Martini or Jaegermeister-sponsored cars.

Got a few more Maranellos now as well.

L-R; Mini Miniera-modified Bburago, teenage me-modified Bburago, standard Bburago, UT, Hotwheels and Maisto.

20039353298_7373a9ff0a_b.jpg

Most of my previous lightweight car projects history in easy to view '1/43rd Vision'

Started in short pants, 1990 March Alfa Romeo Indy 500 race cars which competed and lost miserably to the sister March Porsche 90P Indy car and pretty much every other car in the race
80-march_0e0b4a2c17c6462bcdcd42f289a53fc

First job out of short pants was on the McLaren F1 road car and race car projects, below is a green road car and 1995 field of Le Mans 24hr GT1 race cars, we were giant killers back then and smashed Porsche by winning outright at our first attempt
80-mclaren_gtr_95_0eab436587e6f19a3e2435

1996 McLaren F1 GT1 Le Mans 24hr race cars, Porsche woke up and gave us a good kicking
80-mclaren_gtr_96_11242eccbefee6f6c11b55

Lower bunch of cars are 1997 long tail McLaren GT1 Le Mans 24hrs race cars, we did a big weight saving and aero performance drive which allowed us to kick Porsche and Mercedes in the nuts to win GT1 class

Middle two cars are undeveloped 97 long tail GT1,s but these ran in the 1998 Le Mans 24hrs race, our turn to be kicked in the nuts by Porsche and Toyota but the top car retain some honour by winning the 1998 British GT Championship
80-mclaren_gtr_97_98_99_709c18686cefae3f

Benetton years
80-benetton_d479b021020b081733c8b594330b

BAR Honda years
80-bar_honda_4f042450b85850967461634890b

Honda years, the red and white liveried cars are Honda supported Super Aguri cars which used the previous years Honda chassis
80-honda_3a1030a324c7773a31fae05d92215d9

Ferrari years, the top 2 grey liveried cars are Sauber's, they used the Ferrari power unit and gearbox, missing are the 2014 Marussia cars and 2015 cars for all 3 teams
80-ferrari_copy_1f89fa02253008f00cad5f6b

I've missed out a few cars such as a F1 Bonneville salt flat land speed record setting car and very special F1 prototype but there you go 25yrs in the making and over 2yrs of collecting

Thanks Mark and Giovanni, fingers crossed I've still got a bit left in me to add some more.

If I did an owned car collection like hetherc which is a very cool thing to do it would make the crappest collection ever, Renault 5TL, Talbot Sunbeam 1200, Mk1 Astra van, Ford Focus, Renault Scenic etc

Here are my 1/18 Ferrari's and a 1/43 for size comparison

post-3031-0-30277100-1438687144_thumb.jpg

post-3031-0-57293300-1438687235_thumb.jpg

Mrs WC has made it clear my model cars won't get pride of place display in the house so not sure how I'm going to display my 1/43 collection

Edited by World Citizen

Stephen having seen your collection I was inspired to try and collect every car I have ever owned so I made a list and tried googling a few of them but all I got is a few crappy $20 cars ... so looks like I need some heads up on where to look.

Here is a few I tried, I am obviously not looking in the right places so where should I look for the decent stuff?

BMW 2002tii (with round rear lights)

Toyota FJ40

Jensen Interceptor III