MoT Time

• 4 weeks later...

Ouch! Mine failed its MOT unexpectedly today, due to bulging of all 4 flexible brake lines.

Ive ordered a new set from Type 911, I'm tempted to try myself to fit them, can anyone advise what brake line spanner I need, or whether to let the garage do it? I'm worried about having to faff around with seized unions, and no ramp or lift, leaving me with a car with no brakes, a long way from the MOT station.

The flexible pipes are 30 years old, and a combination of new fluid followed by a track day last Autumn was probably the final straw. I'm rather glad one didn't fail though!

Can't remember what sizes, but I'm sure if you've got a decent selection between 10-15mm you'll have it covered. It makes it a lot easier to cut the hose so neither end fights each other, you can then get a ring spanner onto the inner union.

I don't recall having any issues removing the original ones from mine with the car on axle stands.

If you are struggling on time I doubt it would take much labour time for a decent garage to perform the task.

Thanks all. that sounds a good idea to cut the pipe to stop having to fight the twist, although burning one's bridges a bit.

I'm still tempted to DIY it, expect me to show up here if I hit a problem.

The guy at the garage had never seen a hose bulge like that before, but then that's why they check these things. It is 30 year old rubber, after all. I normally treat MOTs as a bit of a bind, but finding this keeps me safer.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.