Impact Bumpers
Bugs 77

"Wonder Woman is in the house!"

Hi Team,

been a little while but I'm back in an I.B., had a house build to do and other stuff going on so in a moment of weakness I sold the SC and the ended up replacing it with a Kombi (which at the time cost more than I got for the SC) which was to be more practical for carting our gear around between moves during the house build. I reasoned to myself that I would buy another I.B. once we were settled in, I was keen to try and find a non-sunroof car and non-metallic paint.

Well, what a monumental stuff that was, in the two years past prices have almost doubled and all the good cars disappeared, I would have to have handed over an extra $20-30k just to get my old car back.

Luckily I have a friend who was wondering what he was going to do with a 74 2.7 that he has owned for the last 10yrs, he bought it to do some fund raising rally's with and has clocked up around 30,000 kms over that time driving around outback Australia.

The car had the engine and gearbox rebuilt along with a new clutch (even though the car had only done 70,000 km and was still on it's first clutch!), up-rated the oil cooler, fitted with reinforced front A arms and rear arms, Kevlar under-tray for engine and gearbox protection and aluminium tray up front to protect the fuel tank and such, heavy duty rear torsion bars (turbo I think, or could be aftermarket) suspension raised and rally tires mounted on 15 x 6 Cookies (7 in total). All done to get them around them traps reliably.

All cars that enter these rallies take on a theme and this cars theme was Wonder Woman hence the red wheels to go with the Mexico blue body and signage.

So, I did him a deal that was more than generous on his part and now the Kombi has a new garage mate.

post-1087-0-66469400-1432618950_thumb.jpg

post-1087-0-54461900-1432619061_thumb.jpg

post-1087-0-79737700-1432619320_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

Phil

What a grew base car Phil! What are your plans for her? Would be a shame to lose the wonder woman. Perhaps you count get her airbrushed on the underside of the bonnet or something :)

Wonderful!! Agree with Sidewaysfun; you have to keep that link somehow.

The plan is to return the car back to full street mode, I am so happy to have come across this car as it's non-sunroof, wind-up windows basic spec but with factory AC (not Dealer fitted), one of only 3 AC cars delivered to Aust. that year.(Previous owner needed the AC to pressurize the cabin to help keep the red dust out during the rallies, one of the main reasons he chose it!)

One nice thing about this car is that it has had RS flares added, initially I thought it would be a great RS backdate car but have since learn't that the first 200 or so G bodied 2.7 Carreras had RS flairs welded on by the factory so now the plan is to simply make it as close to 2.7 Carrera spec as possible, maybe a smidge more grunt though.

So the 3.2 tail gets swapped for a Ducktail, the side indicators that have been added get removed, the flag mirrors go and replaced with black earlier ones. Will need a fresh front valance (current one a bit ratty and has a vent cut in for the oil cooler, will fit a Pelican Parts scoop instead)

Car came with a set of 7 & 8 x 16" Fuchs so those will go on (I'll polish the petals, the Cookies are going on the Kombi0

And a big clean, the red dust is all through the car, this will happen as I go through and remove all the rally stuff and put the original stuff back in.

Once all that has been done the engine will be zoomed up to match, possibly a nice 2.8 with modern injection, but that will be a bit down the track.

Wonder Woman has already been removed and the bonnet cleaned (my darling wife Belinda said there was only room for one Wonder Woman in this house!) but I have the photos.

Wonder Woman was my school boy crush along with these cars

What a combo ;-)

Welcome back by the way look forward to your new project

Funny you should say that, my eldest daughter is a tattoo artist and would only be too happy to ablige!

Bit of a wiff of petrol prompted a look under the car to see signs of fuelon the surface of the tray below the tank. Jacked her upand removed the tray and the foam protection also soaked in fuel. Found a very fine leak in the tank right at the lowest point of the tank next to the drain plug.

So it's tank out for repair or replacement. Tank is black at the moment, was wondering if that was correct and if so when they changed to finishing them in grey.

VIN no. is 9115100107 so was also wondering how early it may be, Aust. compliance plate dose have 11/74 on it though.

post-1087-0-27063700-1432783976_thumb.jpg

Now in 3.2 look-a-like mode, red wheels off, mudflaps off, tow-bar off, lowered the front but I don't think I can lower the rear until I swap back to the stock rear swing arms.

post-1087-0-23322200-1432784431_thumb.jpg

Some old battle scars here.

post-1087-0-62464100-1432785761_thumb.jpg

Some of the dreaded red dust, this stuff is hard to get out.

Having emptied the car of all the spares (drive shafts, torsion bars, bearings, filters etc) and still some more under body stuff to go, and putting on the road wheels to get the gearing back the car's got a lot more sparkle.

Lucky for me our neighbors in the adjoining work unit have a hoist and kindly let us use it.

Got the car up today to keep removing the rally bits and get ready to remove the fuel tank. Once the tank is out i think I will go on an drop out the engine and gearbox then give everything a good clean.

Once all is clean it'll be a lot nicer to work on.

The leak in the tank :wacko:

post-1087-0-28247100-1433147491_thumb.jpg

post-1087-0-21773500-1433146075_thumb.jpg

Strengthened front A arms, I'll keep these on, they're set up for á through the body sway bar so i'll fit one of those while I have the tank out.

post-1087-0-20756900-1433146367_thumb.jpg

Up rated oil cooler, that stays.

post-1087-0-49277600-1433146499_thumb.jpgpost-1087-0-01576900-1433146576_thumb.jpg

The Kevlar under tray and then removed, a few oil leaks to track down but no real dramas here.

post-1087-0-19932800-1433146781_thumb.jpg

These are the heavy duty swing arms that will make way for the lighter stock ones.

post-1087-0-87045500-1433147035_thumb.jpg

All this stuff plus the forward skid plate and the swing arms will be up for grabs if anyone is putting a rally car together, it all came off a car that was built for the London to Sydney Marathon and was then restored back to original.

Pushing along a bit more today, dropped out the motor and box in preparation for the big clean up.

Pulled off the tinware and mounts, will send out the right bits to be powder coated and some hardware to be re plated.

post-1087-0-68297100-1433840044_thumb.jpg

30 odd thousand k's of outback driving builds up a nice oil and red dust cocktail.

post-1087-0-46518100-1433840401_thumb.jpg

All ready to be wheeled outside for a scrub.

Have made some progress, hope to be back on the road by the end of the weekend.

Have cleaned up as much as I can without completely pulling the car to bits, had all the tinware and mounts powdercoated, replated various nuts bolts washers and brackets and the fan cleaned and coated.

post-1087-0-01681500-1436497448_thumb.jpg

A bit cleaner and easier to work on, installed a new sound deadening liner too.

post-1087-0-37730800-1436497724_thumb.jpg

Engine ready to go, did a full service on it while it was out, have cleaned and painted the muffler too.

post-1087-0-60191300-1436498031_thumb.jpg

Bought some SC adjustable spring plates and set them a spline or so lower to bring the rear height down from the heady heights for rallying.

post-1087-0-83391900-1436498839_thumb.jpg

Fitted a through body front sway bar.

That's upside down!

Now off to get ready to put the engine back in.

Cheers,

Phil

Engine is in, just hooking up all the plumbing and dangley bits.

Just fitting the rear sway bar too, any tips out there on squeezing the new round white bushes into the drop links (soften in hot water?)

On the road again, dosn't even seam to have any leaks.

Drives and handles really well, seem to have mega guessed the spring plate setting ok as the ride height looks just right, will get a shot of the reasult soon.

Gearbox is nice too, better than my previous 911s so very happy.

Just fitted the rubber strips back on to the rocker panels, in the past I have done the soapy water and slide on (read push pull swear) method, this time I did it like fitting a window.

I put a 3mm cord in the bottom groove of the rubber strip then pushed the strip onto the top ridge of the rocker panel. Once it was pressed right down in possition I pulled out the cord in the bottom groove to guide the rubber lip over the bottom ridge of the rocker panel, it worked really well, had them both on in 10mins.

The first one I didn't even bother using soapy water but did on the second side and it did make it easier, just make sure you work the lip in close behind the cord as you pull it out.

A few more jobs coming up soon, have ordered a new Ducktail and engine lid grill (which reminds me, i need a new IB grill badge) along with a new chin spoiler and "smile",

Will source a better front valance, current one is a bit beat up and has an ugly (but somewhat efficient) vent for the oil cooler, can then paint it at the same time the tail gets done.

Keen to get the 3.2 tail off, so it'll be up for grabs, and get the car more into 74 mode.

Also getting ready to attack the wheels, need to finish the petals the same as the outer rims rather than full black centers.

Took the car up to Perth to my mechanics for a check over now it's been cleaned up a bit, all seems fine but it dose have one oil leak which looks to be from a rocker shaft and some other minor weeps that should be taken care of with head re-tensioning. Also will be replacing the tie rods with new Turbo ones, it's still on it's original ones but driving it you wouldn't have known, wasn't till it was on the hoist that we detected a little play in the drivers side rod.

So she goes back up in a couple of weeks to have that attended to.

Other than that It's a joy to drive.

.Love'n It

Still haven't got to all the jobs above but the bits are all arriving.

The new ducktail is still on it's way, it appears that the 74 and on decklids are slightly longer and this one is being made to 74 spec, something I was unaware of. I had fitted one to my last SC and the difference wasn't mentioned.

There was a slightly bigger gap at the top when i had the lower edge lined up nicely but I put that down to the sometimes inaccuracy of fibreglass moulding, it was certainly no big issue.

Had a few moments up my sleeve so I removed the centre console with it's extra gauges and some old additional wiring that was there from old alarms, rally gear and attempts at wiring up the 76 and on electric flag mirrors (there was a rocker switch on the console)

Just want to get the car back to it's original clean low fuss spec.

post-1087-0-81155800-1444899714_thumb.jpg

Console Removed

post-1087-0-00505700-1444899761_thumb.jpg

Out with the junk.

post-1087-0-05258800-1444899934_thumb.jpg

The fit of the tail on the SC

Got the new ducktail and fitted it to check before painting, a couple of small modes to make to improve the fit but on the whole not too bad.

Picked up a better front valance to paint when the tail is done, and have the new bumper smile and lower front lip spoiler so should clean up the look of the front nicely.

post-1087-0-99220200-1446369519_thumb.jpg

Bit of an update, all the bits are on and it's starting to look pretty sharp.

In continuing down the slope I've been chewing over what to do with the engine, it was rebuilt not so long ago so is in good shape. It does however need the heads retensioned and I was going to fit SSIs and backdate the heaters at the same time.

I want to uprate the hp to at least 2.7 Carrera spec at some stage and may do that sooner than later had been pondering over the way to go about it.

One way I thought of was to add higher cr pistons and cylinders (2.8) with 964 cams and a bigger fuel head and keep it looking stock in the engine bay. The factory had once built a 2.8 on CIS for Ferry that went in a 73RS bodied car that also had some of the 74 later interior trim, so I thought that kind of motor would be kind of factory and a homage to that rare car.

But it so happens that my mechanic Richard is at this moment building a 2.7 for a car similar to mine at the moment, it's getting higher compression P&Cs, S cams and will be on PMOs so I'll check that out when it's finished.

What I like about that kind of engine is of all things the look, not to mention the sound, there's nothing better than opening the lid to see two triple stacks with the fan between them and the sound of that induction noise in the cabin.

And speaking of noise, I'd like to fit a two in three out muffler, anyone got an M&K, not sure if I've seen one in the flesh here.

In weak moments when I think that a modern day 911 may be a better choice, it's the thought of opening the engine lid to a bunch of uninspiring plastic bits that stops me going there!

I'm also going to fit a Wevo shifter, links and maybe the internal 915 gate.

Bugs

Almost forgot, having the aircon rebuilt soon with all new more modern condensers and whatever else can be uprated, but retaining the factory under dash gear.

Wouldn't mind removing it all but we need it here, so best to try and give it it's best chance of working.