Retro fit electronic air conditioning

Northy

This hot weather has reminded me how uncomfortable it can be in an old 911 in warmer climates. So I was googling to see if anyone does an electronic air conditioner. I've not found anything suitable yet, but wondered if any of you have seen something suitable? Any ideas?

Yeah. But to be honest it's not just because of junior. Driving to Le Mans and down to Italy, my car was so hot it was almost too much. I've put some sound deadening and foiled foam in that will help a bit, but I was wondering if decent electric systems now exist? Singer talk of it on their press stuff but most of their cars have a crank driven compressor in the photos.

There must be some options for electric vehicles?

Good man Jonny. You're on a roll!

Here's my vision:

An electric compressor mounted in the front recess ahead of the fuel tank along with the control electronics. Conveniently, this is next to the battery as lots of juice required. Pipes out to a condenser/fan assembly 964 style under the left hand wing in place of washer bottle (which would need relocation) . Additional pipework running up left hand inner wing to custom evaporator/blower unit supplying air to central vents only.

The remaining issue is the current draw from the compressor. At 12V, an awful lot of current is required to get the rated BTU output, a little beyond the 75A that the alternator can deliver. Need to do some more calcs but it might just work.

Am trying to do a deal with the Chinese on a sample compressor at the moment.

>>There must be some options for electric vehicles?

Trouble is we only have 12V. For example if you need 900W of cooling, that's 75 amps which is the full output rating for the alternator.

EV's use AC voltage typically 120V so they need much less current to provide the same power. 900W only needs 7 amps.

May have to go with an extra battery to bring to 24V or fit an AC alternator.

Dom quoted me just over £2k to retrofit a/c to the 964. Maybe give him a call if you're interested.

VT

I have dicussed AC with Dom before. He really knows how to do it on these cars...but after he serviced and gassed my system and made it work (has been patchy for years) I don't quite need his full ministrations yet!

Didn't Tuthill do an electric system on the Chris Harris '72 car?

May have to go with an extra battery to bring to 24V or fit an AC alternator.

My bear of small brain logic led me to think of this obvious solution too :)

Edited by GaryH

I have dicussed AC with Dom before. He really knows how to do it on these cars...but after he serviced and gassed my system and made it work (has been patchy for years) I don't quite need his full ministrations yet!

Didn't Tuthill do an electric system on the Chris Harris '72 car?

Think it was VW polo based but details are sketchy. Don't think it was electric.

Ultimately, I guess by their nature they are big, heavy, complex things as you simply have to have all the plumbing etc to make it work. Maybe one of those redneck air con units would work instead.

redneck_car_air_conditioner.jpg

Actually I was thinking at some point of going agaist the grain and adding more weight by installing a traditional system albeit with modern and surely lighter components compared to old . If you have a motor on board why do you need an electric one ? other than looks , pulley, still need the same pipework and condensers surely ? something like this http://www.retroair.com/porscheairconditioning/911930noacfullkit.html

Edited by Henry

after slowly cooking myself in the Cote D'Azur last week whilst the 964&993 boys lavished in cool air con, I can see the wisdom in having it. I even got a sunroof tan ! But unless someone came up with a lightweight solution, theres no way I am lumping all that kit into my car, and especially not an extra battery!

Just drive faster with your windows open...works for me :-)

after slowly cooking myself in the Cote D'Azur last week whilst the 964&993 boys lavished in cool air con,

Ha! I think you'll find they cooked on the way home when the a/c packed up...

Driving back to Classic Le Mans a few years back was torture. It was so hot outside, allied to a hot car with no proper insulation, driving long distance quickly gets tiresome! Luckily I swapped cars with my mate for a while - Maserati Ghibli Cup, white leather and air con - that was blissful by comparison.