How hot can the 3.2 get?

RichD1

With the current warm weather I was in a traffic queue yesterday and the temperature went up over the half way point almost to the 2nd white indicator on the temperature gauge which I'd not seen before.

How hot can an air cooled get and does it ever overheat?

During a recent renewal of the oil lines on my car, I had the front oil cooler off, long oil lines etc.

So, when I refilled the oil, I ran the car until the thermostat opened and I felt the hot oil run to the cooler and back again.

The temp gauge was over the half way mark, and reaching the next white indicator before the thermostat opened.

Half way up would be considered normal, with anything up to the next white bar being within acceptable limits. Anything over the top white bar would start to give me cause for concern.

It really needs to head to the red before you need to worry. I've sat in traffic trying to get into Classic Lemans a few years ago. Sweltering hot. The oil should head to the oil cooler and then the fan kick in. I don't think you have anything to worry about in UK, traffic.

I was doing runs in london midday traffic yesterday (wembley, West end, highbury ..) all start & go rolling traffic temp hovered around midway but never over.

In the old days putting in a new thermostat was part of spring prep on all cars (in hot climates).

On a stock car the combination of oil/air cooling is so good I doubt you could get it to overheat just by sitting in traffic.

Was stuck in a 3 hour jam on the M25 several years ago in temperatures of about 85 degrees and even after all that time it got hot but was still happy.

Edited by GaryH

Thanks guys, but you've now raised another concern; did the oil thermostat open!

Is there an oil cooler fan on all 3.2?

Didn't hear any fan come on.

Thanks guys, but you've now raised another concern; did the oil thermostat open!

Is there an oil cooler fan on all 3.2?

Didn't hear any fan come on.

Put your hand down on the driver's-side sill and feel the oil lines that run along there. They'll be warm if the sill stat has opened and the oil circulated up to the front wing-mounted oil cooler.

I think the fan on the front oil cooler was an optional extra -I have a 1988 and it has the oil cooler, but no fan.

I would guess the fan was aimed at hot climates?

Mike.

Hi Rich: as the boys said,you might have a front fan or not.It is up to you to check the front fender(under the headlight unit) a see it there is one.Also the temperatures you recall are normal,but i would check your oil circulation (carefully) touch the line on the right hand side after the thermostat.The thermostat you can see in you right wheel well.I am pretty sure it works.

For the fan (if you have one) is a relay in your front fuse box just for this reason.

here is some reading

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911-technical-forum/753748-made-fuse-box-label-my-88-a.html

and here

http://www.porscherepair.us/porsche-911-1984-1989/electrical-component-locations-1.html

other than this i think your 911 is just fine

Ivan

• 1 month later...

Apologies to jump in on this thread by my car has started running above the second white line...the pipes under the front wing are hot so thermostat opening. The engine blower is constantly on also, not connected by now wondering why?? Any pointers on what to look for / check / do regarding the hot running temp. Cheers in advance.

Do you mean the 90 white line? I stripped this temp gauge down and the temps I've indicated are actually marked on the gauge but out of sight, they correspond with the white lines.

I'd only be concerned if the engine is running around/above 120 degs

tempgauge.jpg

When you say engine blower, what do you actually mean? The electric motor for the heating that sits ontop of the engine or the big fan on the end of the engine?

my car has started running above the second white line...the pipes under the front wing are hot so thermostat opening.

If it's not in the red it's not too hot, or take Nige's advice on 120C!

Relatively small changes in ambient temperature/humidity/wind direction/running conditions/etc. that we would not notice can make the car run hotter/colder.

If you are worried buy one of these http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/infrared-thermometer-with-laser-targeting-n92fx?gclid=CJfvzqLmwccCFQHkwgodkVIKsQand take the surface temp of the oil filter, which should give a reasonably accurate Deg C of the true running temp that you can correlate to the temp gauge.

The engine blower is constantly on also, not connected by now wondering why??

Your autoheat is not completely off, or the rotary dial is broken and not actually turning the shaft on the rheostat (the dial pulls off to check). Then look at the auto heat controller "relay" (oblong silver box plugged in above the fuses on the left of the engine bay), giving it a sharp tap has worked for some.

If it's something else, more info is going to be needed.

Mark

Doesn't the engine bay heater motor start operating at high engine temps to evacuate hot air from the engine bay ? Thought I read that somewhere

Yes and no, and I was trying to keep things simple to start with!

There is a temperature switch at the back of the 3.2 engine that can turn the blower on, but only when the ignition is switched off and the engine is very hot. This is to prevent excessive heat soak by cooling the exhaust manifolds, but it operates at such a high temperature that I don't know anyone who has had it running even after a very spirited mid-summer track blast.

Mark

Yes, my car is running on and slightly above the 120 mark. As soon as I turn the key, even if engine not running the blower fan is on constant. Anyway, back to the temperature problem.

Oh and not the fan, I meant the big black blower ?. If my replies are a bit sporadic I'm currently looking after 3 kids under 6 and having carpets fitted. Living the dream...