Impact Bumpers
Dr Rock

"Broadsword calling Danny Boy"

Where's Wally? Getting on a ferry...

Theseus' odyssey has begun...:cool:

824C5822-7C86-4B6F-B0EF-00ABBCF81559_zps

Fingers crossed you won't be needing that yellow van.

ADAC for me- shouldn't have any electrical gremlins now your fuseboard has been installed!

Reflective morning spent in Arnhem at the War Museum:

http://www.arnhemsoorlogsmuseum.com

Then vmax'd it across central Germany. Rain and sunshine today, but not enough rain to spoil the fun.

Lovely roads around here:

BE907F8E-9056-4D8A-ACC8-907938199DBA_zps

Wet and windy today:

A725CCBB-25D7-403D-B7E6-9B0499843212_zps

Visit to Bergen-Belsen this morning, which was emotional, then on to a *very* brief stop in Wolfsburg:

63044672-C63F-4564-8640-E92252516FEC_zps

Bounced along the autobahn today with the wind, before arriving here:

99F29EA8-D82F-4AAC-99CE-356B1259D693_zps

Parked outside:

8F5ADCBA-E1C4-4B42-89EF-0ABFD062E523_zps

Room with a view:

B8340CD5-8F34-46E6-8435-2DCF5B5A1BCE_zps

Had a tour of the castle this morning, then hooned across the rest of Germany into Poland with a detour up to Zagan to Stalag Luft III. The museum is closed on Mondays, but time was tight so I wasn't too bothered:

88F8B4E0-C963-4BF3-91E2-74B5515F0272_zps

Found "Harry":

3EBF8E4D-E935-462E-9BBE-022C128D5B6F_zps

Poland is a big place and the E36 was horrendous- 45 minutes of this, doing 45mph:

th_5C57C959-770B-4B67-96C8-7B88FD8C6E02_

It was like driving on a giant barcode. At least the E40 was excellent, so rapid progress was made once I joined that.

Edited by Dr Rock

Have a great trip Fraser, be safe.

Yes Dad.

Walked miles around Auschwitz/Birkenau today. No photos as you can visit for yourself :) Currently competing for a lovely Polish beer with some fruit flies...

Car hasn't been nicked yet, so plus points for Poland, :whistling: let's see what tomorrow brings...

Visiting some right cheerful places there Doc! Good job the car can cheer you up in between. ;)

Great to see you on another epic road trip after all your trials and tribulations!

Found "Harry":

3EBF8E4D-E935-462E-9BBE-022C128D5B6F_zps

Phew - lucky you didn't go looking for "Dick" :lol:

Went through 2000 miles on the trip this morning, weather today has been sunshine and showers. Roads improved a lot once out of Poland: had a quick visit through the Czech Republic, they have cool bus stops:

F7090C23-3D2E-4F9A-AB0A-251F5D9890FF_zps

Did a U turn at one point and there was this old man cycling along toward me, so I thought I would let him past before completing the U turn, only to find he had stopped right opposite me. He wasn't old, more like 15yrs old, gave me a great big toothless "Deliverance" grin and double thumbs up like he was milking a cow. So I smiled and waved at him, then redlined it in 1st and 2nd as I sped away...

Most of today felt like driving in Austria or British Columbia - lots of trees and hills. Endless trees - how can there be so many?

Slovakia was next on the itinerary, went through a couple of Skanzens and seen some lovely houses today:

73901678-DF1D-49FE-ADAC-D82D8F2B508D_zps

Made it to the hotel safely - the hotel Landrover Defender taxi was at the entrance gate and he let me through onto the single lane 7km road up to the hotel. First third was fine, then it got a bit bumpy and I remembered the Land Rover. Fortunately Porsches are tough and the wheels and suspension are fine.

Parked at 1680m in the High Tatras:

D7F6A084-2777-4EDB-BAAD-472239C3463F_zps

No.

No problem :)

If I can get out tomorrow...

Cloudy and drizzly day today - good job I have jumpers, long trousers and a wooly hat on this trip. First port of call was to drive a few miles along the valley side to get the cable car up to Lomnický stít. Nice view from the halfway point but the top was in cloud:

220126FF-C5A1-4110-8B7A-18F0138FF10A_zps

When I got back down to the car park I couldn't find the car. Started to panic until I saw it peeking out from behind a VW Caravelle. Then I thought I'd better go and visit some ice cave someone told me to go and see... Found the car park and set off up the track, after a couple of minutes came across a sign that said the last tour was at 2pm. The time was now 13:48 and it is supposed to be a 25 minute hike up to the cave. Uh oh. Cue the drill sergeant in my ear. Got to the cave entrance to see the souvenir guys packing up and the group going through the gate- bought my ticket and scooted through the gate before it shut behind me. Phew! Interesting visit, though it only lasted 30 minutes and the commentary is only in Slovakian, so I have *no idea* what the guide was saying: somehow the caves reminded me of the caves in Gibraltar.

0DDF9492-0CF6-4838-8FAB-A1985F28B82E_zps

Walking through the forest to get to the Dobsinska Ice Cave reminded me of all those fairy tales we read as kids: Hansel and Gretel, Little Red Riding Hood etc. You can see where the inspiration came from in the woods. Looks like the woodcutter was at home though:

12339C7D-E167-40FB-B8DF-09F30ED2A9F0_zps

Then I took a detour over the hills to have a whizz past Spis Castle:

875B9408-0936-4327-8D59-82B46D8C2A47_zps

And so ends a rainy day: headed south tomorrow. Maybe I'll get to wear shorts at some point on this trip.

Edited by Dr Rock

Great to see you out in the car enjoying yourself Doc after all that hass you had

Weather has been lush here last few days

As much as I'd rather be over their driving in the rain than here working

In order to avoid jealousy, I am not paying attention to anything Fraser posts on this thread :)

Guess I'll use WhatsApp instead then... :)

Not even halfway through the trip...

I also like the way you appear to be doing this on your own. That really appeals, get out there, go where you want, as you want. Superb. (or maybe i'm just an anti-social git)

N'ah it's better with a group of like minded hooners with you ala our trip back in the summer :cool: but do admire your solo adventurous spirit :)

Can you bring me back a Kalashnikov? ;)

Can you bring me back a Kalashnikov? ;)

Ha! Not off to Ukraine you know...

I also like the way you appear to be doing this on your own. That really appeals, get out there, go where you want, as you want. Superb. (or maybe i'm just an anti-social git)

Thanks - no-one will come out to play. Either bothered about getting a stonechip or they don't have enough miles on their insurance policy :)

A solo trip offers flexibility on what to do/route to take each day. A group trip is more sociable but harder to organise and keep everyone together. Both options have their merits and downsides. I just take each opportunity I can: that bus might be around that corner one day...

Sounds good to me! I love group trips i've done ( mostly in wales) and teh company has always been great and like-minded. However, there'sjust something about just you, the car and the wild blue yonder.

Rock-on, DR Rock!