"Broadsword calling Danny Boy"

Dr Rock

So, now we are up to today. Over the past few days it has been hello and goodbye to Austria/Switzerland/Italy and France. Today was the turn of saying goodbye to France and "allo allo" to Andorra, with a bit of Spain sneaked in to get there. The day started out cloudy with some big rain on the peage, but after Montpellier I found out where the sun has been hiding all this time. Also saw the Mediterranean: it's over there, between the land and the sky:

5BF52D8F-DFA4-435F-8088-C7BB43795132_zps

Once past Perpignan there are some lovely roads:

EA895685-16C3-482B-A5ED-CD56B904450D_zps

Wide, sweeping curves and little traffic. Numerous overtaking spots as well. Great stuff!

Made it to Andorra after a 7 hour drive, tired and waiting for dinner:

802ADCC3-B3B0-431C-8998-CCD492D4EF4F_zps

I think I will fill up in Andorra tomorrow - noticed it was 1.13 euros for 98octane... Another big day looms tomorrow and it looks like the sun is playing ball again...?

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yesterday dawned misty with low cloud. Oh joy. First stop was Briancon

Gf's mum and step-dad live in Briancon. He's assistant to the Mayor of Briancon. We're off there for skiing at Christmas :)

Can you please stop posting these pictures - they are making me green (brilliant green) with envy.

So stop it now!!!

Nope: not gonna happen. I can't see a cloud in the sky and the sun is gradually creeping down the mountainside opposite me :)

You know what you have to do: stop polishing your car, get yourself a Sanef doofer and ADAC membership and get over here. It's easy to organise a trip for yourself, so just do it.

Judith Chalmers got nothin' on the Doc! Awesome trip, Fraser. Can't think of a better way to run in that engine. I am making plenty of notes for when the kids are gone and I may once again have some disposable income for me and Mrs J. Like Ivan, I am beginning to wonder if you will be coming back at all...

Kevin

*Sigh* today has been an epic day. Something like 400 miles done. I have found a new favourite place. Called the Pyrenees. ? No traffic, no bikers, 911 heaven.

1D7452D8-C99F-449B-8AC3-D047FD8927D0_zps

6DF80F8C-6F7E-47AF-8AF8-3275492E3D0B_zps

Col du Peyresourde, D'Aspin, Tourmelet and D'Aubisque completed:

07940A4A-795B-4319-BB2F-063EBB13671A_zps

A38A611B-5B5B-4FCA-8300-AA3233FB0C46_zps

7EF98D22-B5EE-429A-A9E2-55E596DB03B0_zps

And yet, all that pales in comparison to making Rosie's day. And before Gary et al start posting: Rosie was in my year at school, married a Frenchman, has 2 kids and a B&B in Arcachon. I've been looking for a way to stay here and today is that day. Rosie was speechless- got her mates round, with wine, pizza etc, we've had a party. This is what it is all about. Life, people, connections, memories, shared histories and philosophies on life. The money and the 911 merely facilitate the experience.

Please, if you are wavering about driving your precious 911 in Europe: JFDI. You are a fool not to. Life is about memories and experiences: not how much your car is worth. Use the fecking thing and live. That bus is around the next corner and St Peter *will* give you a b*ll*cking for all eternity for not having taken the opportunity.

Carpe Diem!

06B01A1A-F2D5-4A49-B0AA-2D908A57E425_zps

They were ??? Small world indeed.

Today, to the full tank of fuel I added a full trunk of wine. Not sure which gives more pleasure...:unsure:

Then HG Wells (or was it George Lucas?) transported me to Gavin 4:

A9166189-9E33-4AE3-A62B-00689E5E10E9_zps

In the car park when I arrived was this Facellia ?

D4EACBF6-FEF8-499C-AC6F-A7186C052187_zps

8DA955C7-7B7D-474E-B8F3-95371BEE8DF2_zps

When I returned from the Dune du Pilat, some muppet had parked next to me:

17E3D193-DBE1-4E04-B4B4-0A4718493140_zps

I'm sure I have lost weight on this trip and managed to slide into the car. Good job my shorts have no zips or studs on them ?

Now way further north, not far from Le Mans, Pelforth on the table, listening to loads of English voices :angry: I had forgotten how nice it is to not have a clue what people are talking about. Like this morning at breakfast. Being here now makes me feel like I'm on Kakrafoon....

So you climbed the dune then - its freaking big eh!

Enjoy the home run from another great tour :)

Yes I did climb it and yes it is chuffing massive!

I hope I don't get seasick later on today after this lot :rolleyes:

49743569-51DD-417A-8AE3-7909D3CCEF50_zps

It's such a lovely day:

D9B19DBF-1EA0-4EB6-A854-1BA32B3D1D5C_zps

Now at Cherbourg waiting to check in for the ferry :cry: Squeezing the most hours out of the day today. Should be home midnight: up at 6am to go to work :angry:

And...home.

No thanks to the ferry that just stopped in the middle of the channel for 20 minutes and then I got shoved over to the outside lane on the M3 so I missed my turn off which added 30 mins to the journey..:angry: