"Broadsword calling Danny Boy"

Dr Rock

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Excellent! Which vineyard are you off to? Think we'll do one of the big ones but also been recommended This one by a friend:http://www.champagne-mailly.com/en/home

Si

This is not my everyday favourite party champagne, but as a vineyard tour is hard to beat.....http://www.vrankenpommery.com/en/

VT

Cheers VT!

Some more numbers for the nerds:

Ferry costs

£140 Harwich to Hook of Holland

£245 Cherbourg to Poole

£820 accommodation (Averages £58/night over 14 nights: cheapest was £37 Colditz YH, most expensive £99/night in Switzerland and Slovakia- but that did include 3 course dinner and beers)

£870 fuel
£60 Sanef

Took about £1000 in Euros and various other currencies, came back with about £75.

No idea what the total cost is and I never bother worrying about it. The £££'s kinda add up, :mad jg: but every penny is worth it to get a view like this:

IMG_3749_zpsntr30feq.jpg

It took maybe a couple of days to organise the accommodation and I had to wait until I got the car back before booking the ferries as they were non refundable, by which time some of the accommodation was carrying a cancellation charge - good job everything worked out!

When I book places to stay I work out kind of where I want to end up/could get to, then use TripAdvisor and its reviews to get a feel for various places before deciding on an establishment. I tend to use Booking.com and have not had a problem with any place I have stayed at. (Beginners luck I guess :rolleyes: )

HTH to get some more IB's onto the continent soon! :steering:

I'll add something for the more adventurous and it has worked for me on two family European trips similar to Frasers

Work out your route, work out where you want to stop each day, make a list of hotels for each stop, call them up during the day you arrive, have a haggle and 9 times out of 10 you will get a good discount or upgrade for making such a late booking

Adds a lot of flexibility if you decide you want to change your plans and sometimes you come across a gem of a hotel, we stumbled on the Bianca Resort in Montenegro

Edited by World Citizen

I kind of just stopped where ever I fancied along the route ... only rule was stay away from big cities and main roads. It worked during off-season for me as I am very much in for the journey as opposed to destination.

Doc .... we forgot about that piece of leather for gear knob, is it still up for grabs?

Glad to hear you are a "follower" jm. If I can inspire just one person to get their 911 to Europe, then it's job done.

Life is too short to count money.

I am definatly hoping to leave the bike behind next year and take the IB for a trip group trip would be even better . Hopefully Johnny will have a developed a simple plug and play aircon system by then to, and at a modest cost I am sure . .

Just caught up on this thread, epic and inspirational Fraser. Really wanted to do the Alps this year but it just didn't work out. Did get to the N85 (again) and Mont Ventoux (first time) though - both good to have seen. Cars are for driving.

M.

Henry - don't let lack of air con hold you back. I have never missed not having it - so you get a bit hot from time to time, no big deal.

Air con is only required if you are taking SWMBO :)

Lack of a/c wouldnt hold me back ,just nice to have, thats all ,can be mighty hot at times . Creature comforts ,must be getting old now wheres my nice slippers :P

Something for your eyes to do for 6 minutes or so...:

https://youtu.be/21nZsT2OGko

Bloody hell, remind me not to let you book my summer holidays!!

I like the idea of cruising through the Alps with the sun shining and beautiful scenery all around but touring war memorials and concentration camps in the pi55ing rain doesn't really float my boat. Each to their own I guess.

great films Doc ....... looking forward to the next instalment.

As a matter of interest which windscreen camera were you using ...... it's got a nice wide angle lens. Just wish I'd had one when I went to the North Cape a couple of years ago. Similar trip, nearly 6k miles in 18 days.

great films Doc ....... looking forward to the next instalment.

As a matter of interest which windscreen camera were you using ...... it's got a nice wide angle lens. Just wish I'd had one when I went to the North Cape a couple of years ago. Similar trip, nearly 6k miles in 18 days.

Glad you like 'em - starting Part 3 in a minute, when I've had my Weetabix...

Cam is Roadhawk HD 1080p HD. It's not *as good* as a GoPro, but can record a whole day in one go.