VT's 997 Cabriolet

Von Twinzig

It's no secret that the 964's moved on. 'Twas always the plan.

I'd said to myself and a few people in my inner circle, that once 997 prices came down and/or 964 prices came up a bit I'd have one. The eureka moment for me was sitting in Jacobs C2S in the paddock at Oulton a few years ago at the RS day. We'd just spent 20mins whizzing round with the thing and Jake in banzai mode. I said to him "I get it, I totally get it. Flick off the sport mode, turn on the a/c and the music, put on the shades and drive to the south of France in comfort." From that point on a 997 was likely to end up in my garage. Just the timing to figure. That bit was Dom's fault, generated out of a simple text late one night asking about what to look out for when buying one. The next day a picture pinged up in my message box and the die was cast.

So here it is.....

6EB1A2B9-DC78-4050-92A7-7FFC76DF29A7_zps

997 Cab MY 2007 C4S in Indian Red, black leather, Sport Design wheels. Couple of nice extra's like factory short shift and full leather pack. Sensible, non garage queen mileage, full OPC service history, borescoped and given a clean bill of health by Cambs OPC with all the rest backed up by SVP.

Was always going to be red. 2/4? Didn't care, but wanted an S. The Cab thing came about after a series of discussions with Mrs VT about what we will use the car for. With the TT for track the main use will be summer cruising, Sunday days out and Euro trips. Clearly we didn't need another tin top.

For the sake of completeness I test drove most of the competition and was close to pulling the trigger on a V8 Vantage, but with no rear seats and a 3yo grandson who loves going out in "grandad's red car", those all got dismissed. I also toyed with the idea of a 996 TT, but could never get past the looks, both inside and out, though they are great cars.

So there you have it. Spent the morning cleaning it and the afternoon blatting round the B roads with the top down getting some late summer sun. 2 days in my count for "Nice car mister" stands at 2, one of which was a group of young guys in an A4 who stopped, reversed back, wound the windows down to give me the thumbs up. Red's deffo the fastest, coolest and in my opinion best colour, a view it seems shared by petrolheads everywhere.?

VT

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

........ I was very tempted to get a 997 for quite a while, as well as a vantage V8.

The Aston was high on my list Mark, but the bi-metallic corrosion and servicing cost put me off, aside from the rear seat deficiency.

VT

One of my brothers has got the baby V8 Aston and it's nice but to be honest every time I drive past the Aston garage down the road from me I always think they all look the bloody same!

I've got a lot of time for 997s, 996s have never pressed my buttons in the looks dept but I think they got it spot on with the 997.

So first a TT and now a convertible VT........ :P:D

You can't beat a cab (especially in red!!) as a great cruising car.

When I was considering buying a 911 a couple of year's back, my missus said 'only if it is a convertable' - so I took this as a yes, purchesed one and haven't regretted it all.

One of my brothers has got the baby V8 Aston and it's nice but to be honest every time I drive past the Aston garage down the road from me I always think they all look the bloody same!

I've got a lot of time for 997s, 996s have never pressed my buttons in the looks dept but I think they got it spot on with the 997.

So first a TT and now a convertible VT........ :P:D

Yep, and we still have the Lady Di mobile in the fold, so just a Boxster to go and I get automatic life membership of Toni & Guys. ?

The Aston thing....it was a really tricky one, then walking through their club display at Silverstone Classic I came to exactly the same opinion as you Alex, plus the colour options were as boring as bat crap...... and they call the 911 design team lazy.?

VT

You can't beat a cab (especially in red!!) as a great cruising car.

When I was considering buying a 911 a couple of year's back, my missus said 'only if it is a convertable' - so I took this as a yes, purchesed one and haven't regretted it all.

We've had a targa and two coupes so a cab was next on the list. The thing with the 964 was that it wasn't being driven and that wasn't doing it any good, so we analysed what we wanted the 4th car for and a cab made perfect sense.

It was sunny at the weekend and we were out driving with the top down. Having had English classic sports cars before getting into the marque, there really is nothing (other than owning a bike) that comes close. If I want to banzai the country lane's the TT will be quicker than most things once it's finished, so I have no need for another coupe in the garage.

VT

Thanks Shirish. I have no interest in touring round without Mrs VT, if I wanted to do that I'd buy a Caterham ? so the car needs to suit our lifestyle. Trip to France being planned for the Autumn.

I'll do more trackdays this year in the TT project than for a while now as it's being developed specifically for the job. Banzai road driving round here is tricky, what with the farm machinery, deep rivers/ditches and crappy roads, so I'll reserve it for the tracks. Might put it on a trailer next year, which will give me the option of taking the development further. One things for sure, all the cars will now get used regularly, which has to be a good thing. Need to look at multi car policies next, methinks.

VT

Sat in a black 991 turbo today in an OPC, Beautiful looking car but it was huge! I felt like a kid sitting inside it and it had duff blind spots and dustbin lid wheels. Not for me, 997 is best of the water cooled 911's.

Yep, know what you mean Mark. The 997 fits in the garage just the same as the 964 did, just a little tighter getting the rear arches through the doors, but front to back is very similar. My mates 991 Targa 4S is flippin' huge.

VT

Glued, screwed and nailed Longers. Had my ears specially lowered too, so as I could use some real big ones. Taking no chances. I did suggest to Mrs VT that she might need a head scarf, but being a true Essex gewl, she scoffed at the idea reaching for the Extra Firm Hold L'oreal instead ??.

VT