New forum theme with more updates to follow! Please see the main thread in Impact Bumping.

Phill

What size spacers on 6" SC cookies with 195 tyres

Can anyone tell me what size spacers I can get on the front of my SC with 6" cookies wearing 195 tyres. I seem to remember 9mm was about right but would like some confirmation.

Hi i have some original Porsche and they are 7mm wide..these are for the back

Ivan

Phill, on the standard length studs I think that you are ok with 5mm or 7mm spacers, past that you want to be changing the studs for longer to make sure that you get enough thread engagement. The other alternative is keep the standard studs and get adaptors. HTH.

Dragging this back up because I was looking at my car parked in the street today and it is crying out for front spacers. I need to do some measuring to see what size will suit but my question is, if needed, how easy is it to change the studs for longer ones?

The alternative is adapters, obviously, and @Type911 does what appears to be from 15mm upwards. 15mm doesn't seem like a lot to safely mount studs in? (If I wanted to go as much as 15mm)

Thoughts..........

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, Phill said:

Dragging this back up because I was looking at my car parked in the street today and it is crying out for front spacers. I need to do some measuring to see what size will suit but my question is, if needed, how easy is it to change the studs for longer ones?

The alternative is adapters, obviously, and @Type911 does what appears to be from 15mm upwards. 15mm doesn't seem like a lot to safely mount studs in? (If I wanted to go as much as 15mm)

Thoughts..........

That is some good pondering time Phil, glad you're not rushing into this!

I would always go for longer studs with spacers over adaptors - Simply because, it's one less set of fasteners to torque up or worry about loosening.

As far as fitting longer studs goes, zero problem for a man with your skills. You just put a sacrificial nut on the end of the old stud to knock it out and the new stud will pull into position when you torque it up.

I would perhaps try to borrow a few different sizes to see what rubs or what fills the arches best for you before committing to buying. I've got some stuff here I could post & I'm sure a few others have too.

Edited by ALEX P
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

^^^ This. Longer studs all the way. Plus who doesn't like a set of rusty nuts :lol:

If youre running cookies you have to go longer studs, dont over do it though, the front is quite susceptible to changes when widening the track, you dont want to screw up the steering feeling. I would think 12mm would be as wide as you want to go

9 hours ago, ALEX P said:

That is some good pondering time Phil, glad you're not rushing into this!

I would always go for longer studs with spacers over adaptors - Simply because, it's one less set of fasteners to torque up or worry about loosening.

As far as fitting longer studs goes, zero problem for a man with your skills. You just put a sacrificial nut on the end of the old stud to knock it out and the new stud will pull into position when you torque it up.

I would perhaps try to borrow a few different sizes to see what rubs or what fills the arches best for you before committing to buying. I've got some stuff here I could post & I'm sure a few others have too.

Thanks Alex. Is there enough clearance for this to be done on the car? I expect if I take the wheel off it will be clear. I shall have a measure today and see what is needed and contact you.

4 minutes ago, Type911 said:

If youre running cookies you have to go longer studs, dont over do it though, the front is quite susceptible to changes when widening the track, you dont want to screw up the steering feeling. I would think 12mm would be as wide as you want to go.

I agree, I think 12 will be too much.

Then just slide a 7mm shim over, dont need to change anything

On 06/05/2020 at 07:39, Type911 said:

dont over do it though, the front is quite susceptible to changes when widening the track, you dont want to screw up the steering feeling. I would think 12mm would be as wide as you want to go

No doubt there is some fact behind this view.  I will go out on a limb though and say I have never felt it.  Having run shims, spacers, 6x16s, 7x15s, 7x16s, 8x16s on the front of narrow body suspension culminating in rear wheel offset 8s with about 25mm of spacer per side, I just don't recall ever thinking "oh dear, I have messed up the steering".  I run spacers on the front of everything - had 15mm on the 930, 5mm on the mini, 14mm on the 987, 10mm on the Audi winters and 12mm on the CSL.    Either for brake clearance, looks or increased front turn in.  Am I doing it wrong?

• Thanks 1

Alex is very kindly sending me some 12mm to try for a visual. 5 years of procrastination coming to a close?

Any voting for a few more ‘go arounds’ from Phill 😂