Church Of The Lightweight - measuring weight savings

Hmmm.....if some more of us are going to start praying at the Church Of The Lightweight :bowdown:

How about a thread detailing the weight of things you've removed from your IB ? even if it just came off for maintenance and actually went back on again. Be good to know the stock weight of various items so when it's removed we know how much has been saved. Also a good yardstick when considering a lightweight alternative with a specified weight, ie is the saving worth the outlay ?

What do you reckon JG ?

I'll kick off with a standard '82 SC 3 spoke factory steering wheel: 2243g !

As JG says, these should be things you have 'actually' weighed, ie factual, not stuff you've read on the net/forums/books etc. That way we don't keep perpetuating urban myths.

Cheers - Gary

Doh - forgot to weigh the new Momo Prototipo, spacer and boss before it was put on :homersimpson:

ps 's ok JG - I'm suitably admonished :blush: nothing like a good spanking every once in a while. Will post things in the correct area from now on. Too used to the IB fairy moving all my posts to the correct area :whistling:

Edited by Gary.H

• Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

ps 's ok JG - I'm suitably admonished :blush: nothing like a good spanking every once in a while. Will post things in the correct area from now on. Too used to the IB fairy moving all my posts to the correct area :whistling:

Sorry mate but it's a pain being a fairy :rolleyes:

I have altered the Gruppe IB forum now to suit your purposes so will move this thread there for you.

Carry on ;)

I have started to reduce weight on my recently purchased 76 Carrera 3.0. Here are some data points to consider.

Part Stock Weight GRP

Rear bumper blade (bare) 18 lbs 8.2 kg 3.5 lbs 1.6 kg (Getty Design replica incl lower valance)

front hood 40 lbs 18.2 kg 12 lbs 5.45 kg

Euro bumperette (ea) 4.5 lbs 2.0 kg

US bumperette (ea) 9 lbs 4.1 kg

I haven't weighed the door panel arm rests, cubies, rear seat tops, but I think this info is available from other sources. I left the base panels, and installed a strap to pull the door shut and open it. I have installed a Sparko Pro 2000 driver seat, and have a light weight Scheel passenger seat, with estimated savings of 40 lbs, 18.2 kg. (speaker hole now covered with aluminum plate.)

I installed a Safety Devices cage for DE purposes, which weighs approx. 100 lb, 45.5 kg. so I am still above the original factory weight. I am considering a GRP front bumper to save another 15 lbs, 6.8 kg. I have not corner balanced the car yet, so don't have a total weight, but will do that soon.

Gib Bosworth

post-9-1174443065_thumb.jpg

post-9-1174443107_thumb.jpg

Edited by Platinum Carrera

I'll try and come at this from the other direction. I should be picking my bare tub up from the stripper in the next few days, so I'll try and get a weight for that and then catalogue the weights of things as they go on.

John, I'm aiming to beat the Orange by a kilogram! :whistling::D (It's just not going to happen, is it :rolleyes: )

(It's just not going to happen, is it :rolleyes: )

Not unless you know someone giving away ally panels or you do yours in plastic. I picked up a steel bonnet today for the first time - jeez louise, they are heavy!

I am taking my car on the scales Tuthills use for their cars as soon as the present works are finished.

I just weighed one of the front wings on my bathroom scales and it showed 10KG - that's for an un-stripped wing, so paint and crud still attached. I wonder how much of a saving you would get with FG ones?

Yeah, they feel heavier than that. I wonder if me balancing the wing on the scales is a true measure of it's weight..... perhaps I should find my old fishing scales and hang one from that.

Yeah, they feel heavier than that. I wonder if me balancing the wing on the scales is a true measure of it's weight..... perhaps I should find my old fishing scales and hang one from that.

Weigh yourself and then get on the scales holding the wing - the difference is the weight of the wing ;)

Balancing things doesn't always give the correct weight.

• 1 month later...

Having pulled out a few more bits of my interior from my '82 SC (still not 'done a Northy' on the rear deck or a 'Jevvy' on the door cards though ;)) and stuck them on the kitchen scales (bathroom is old hat now)...

• Door bin lids:.......................578g each x 2 = 1156g
  • Door bins:............................990g each x 2 = 1980g
  • Centre console:.................1406g
  • Seat back ( R ):..................3180g (?)
  • Seat back ( L ):..................3208g (?)
  • Seat screws and straps:........62g

• Shifter bellows boot:............200g

Total weight loss from above......11.192kg :)

Also waiting for my lightweight starter motor from JG's group buy and getting distracted by ally bonnets... :rolleyes:

Still some way to go then? Don't be a Wuzz - get the tank cutter out and save some real weight.

JG yours could double as a Halloween pumpkin if you added a candle!

post-76-1178044291_thumb.jpg

Still some way to go then? Don't be a Wuzz - get the tank cutter out and save some real weight.

Well she'll be less of a fat bottomed girl now I've got a fg C3 tail instead of that lardy turbo tea tray :ani_clapping:

I have those too, they're crazy heavy aren't they. A lightweight bucket seat is about 7kg, so you could feasibly save 30 odd kg on the front seats alone.

Lewis if you have the manual turbo sports fitted to the SC's they weigh about 16-17kgs IIRC. They are already a lot lighter than the electric seats, like Twinsters?

I had a look around at bucket sests and by the time you get side mounts and runners your up to 10kg per seat at least. So at best its about 10-14kg saving for about 800 squid outlay,

only buy if you need more support than the manual sports seats is where I ended up for now,

of course anyone with standard seats must immediatly purchase sport or bucket seats for PAX comfort on trackdays....TC... :whistling:

Lewis if you have the manual turbo sports fitted to the SC's they weigh about 16-17kgs IIRC. They are already a lot lighter than the electric seats, like Twinsters?

Nope - mine are the leccy ones. I am going to keep an eye out for some reasonably priced buckets on ebay.