RB's 930GT

• Replies 360
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Richard Bernau said:

Paid the balance of the bill and ordered a fresh set of plates this morning.  That feels like a milestone.

Now over to JAZ.

Great stuff RB, what is still to do?

Without tempting fate are we talking a few days, weeks, months work?

Some welding on the exhaust + new tail pipe (cosmetics)
Some new loom to be made - ie., headlights
Fix passenger electric window
Alignment
Check/adjust accelerator pedal and linkage
MOT

Not sure what else.  Sounds like a day's work.  So it will take a month...

Then I will take a look at the interior again and probably retrim the seats, add heating pads.  Maybe leather trim the half cage.  I have forgotten what was on the to do list its been so long.

• 3 weeks later...

Prediction correct - still hasn't left the bodyshop.  :banghead:

I honestly believe that Nige managed to find the only bodyshop in the UK with a working clock and calendar.

20 minutes ago, ALEX P said:

I honestly believe that Nige managed to find the only bodyshop in the UK with a working clock and calendar.

😁 and Frazer found the only engine builder with a working clock and calendar

Keep the faith RB, leather wrapped rear cage sounds very lush 

Edited by World Citizen

Its done in the body shop - finally - but they have left a couple of minor things that are in the too hard basket and I missed my slot with JAZ.

I would rather have the car at JAZ now as I know Steve will crack on with it.  He can't afford to have cars taking up space and runs a decent business that moves at speed.

So we move on.  Good news there is a plan.  Bad news (for my wallet) is I have bitten the bullet on a new wiring loom.  Parts of the old loom are showing evidence of less than acceptable rewiring by previous shops and owners.  Easier to replace than fix.  And we have found a loom at a reasonable price.

• 1 month later...

It's snuck up on me, but now almost done.  Car was driven (illegally?) to the exhaust guy this week and he is making a new Y-pipe and fitting a new silencer as both looked tired with less than perfect welding.  Electrics now all working as they should and all trim back in the car.  A couple of tidy up jobs to do, but they are very minor.

Soon have it home ....

Maybe pre-Xmas ....

It's snuck up on me, but now almost done.  Car was driven (illegally?) to the exhaust guy this week and he is making a new Y-pipe and fitting a new silencer as both looked tired with less than perfect welding.  Electrics now all working as they should and all trim back in the car.  A couple of tidy up jobs to do, but they are very minor.

Soon have it home ....

Maybe pre-Xmas ....

Excellent news, they're obviously thinking of their Christmas bonusses!

What's the plan when you get the car back? Use the Boxster for daily kinda stuff with this for your Euro trips or is it a track car, just a toy for tearing around in or what?

• 3 weeks later...

Santa delivered something red yesterday. 

Got it home last night.  70+ miles of cold, wet, dark M25 bumper-to-bumper hell in a car with no heater, sh!te 911 headlights and a brand new clutch (still being broken in and feeling weird but improving) that I haven't driven in nearly 30 months.  Possibly the most stressful drive of my entire life.

Many things fixed as a result of many new problems found.  I think the car has been spanner checked about 4 times now.  Had a long talk with Steve before leaving JAZ yesterday and we now agree we have a good reliable car that won't crash, catch fire or otherwise self destruct.  Yes, all of those were possible given the legacy of the previous mechanical work.  Some mission critical stuff replaced since I bought the car have included steering rack, large sections of the loom and fuel lines.  You can guess the consequences.  But all good now :) 

Need to do a few things - basic heat, fix passenger door lock, paint protection film - before its ready for any real driving. 

The paint did polish/wax up very nicely.  It may have taken a while but the quality of the paint and body work is very good.  Even the panel gaps are pretty good and given its carbon doors and bonnet, they fit much better than I really expected.  On the paint, you only really see how good/bad it is when you get up close and personal with it - wash, polish, wax.  I can only see a couple of blemishes (one tiny matt patch under a roof gutter and a tiny run hidden in a crease) and a couple of mechanics work marks that largely polished out.  Even the drive home left a few tiny stone chips though, so PPF seems a worthwhile investment, though its seems very cartel priced around the South East. 

There are some good things that others won't notice, like I shelled out for the proper genuine 964 impact protection bar at the front so the bumper mounts properly and there is a working OE tow hook threaded hole.  Now obviously, a 930 chassis has no provision to fix the impact bar, so that all had to be fabricated.  I also have the old carbon intercooler shroud that needs adapting to the new tail.  I have a little to-do list...