RB's 930GT

• Replies 360
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 months later...

It looks stunning! Will you replace it with something else, or will you take some time out first? Can certainly appreciate the lack of time point.

8 hours ago, Richard Bernau said:

I still have one Porsche left...

Take time and consider options.  Might replace the daily mini.

😲🤔☹️😥 but, but why, you haven't even driven it in the Alps yet???

Ahhh, clever, I got it, sell before Brexit buy it back later at half price, very shrewd move 😎

The Alps you say...

One of the lessons I have learned over the years is that like it or not, I tend to push myself to a certain level when behind the wheel.  If I have done something before - like a lap time - there is a part of me that expects to be able to do it again.  And I get competitive.  On track days, seat time matters and to an extent same in the Alps.  Jumping into a proper fast car with little room for error is a recipe for mistakes.  To protect myself from myself, I need a car that flatters me and looks after me if I am being honest.  For that reason I resisted taking the 930 to the Alps etc.  

There is no doubt that the 930 is an adrenaline car.  I get out of it with something ranging from a mild adrenaline buzz to a hand shaking adrenaline high.  It's awesome, but needs seat time and needs to be used in the right context.  If I was doing track days and lots of driving, it might have been a perfect fit.  I truly thought it would be peak 911 for me - and at one point, that was probably true.  That just isn't happening right now.  So we move on.  Life is too short to persevere with stuff that isn't working out - you of all people know that :) 

What has been gratifying, has been working with real car enthusiasts who know fast cars and having them confirm that this a really good car - well put together (now), well balanced and very fast.  I didn't write the description on Car-Iconics or make the Ruf comparison - they came up with all that.

I am not talking about Brexit - there is more than enough comment in the mainstream media for everyone to pick their poison and justify their own views.  But if I was to pick a metaphor, it might just be a car crash. 

2 hours ago, Richard Bernau said:

The Alps you say...

One of the lessons I have learned over the years is that like it or not, I tend to push myself to a certain level when behind the wheel.  If I have done something before - like a lap time - there is a part of me that expects to be able to do it again.  And I get competitive.  On track days, seat time matters and to an extent same in the Alps.  Jumping into a proper fast car with little room for error is a recipe for mistakes.  To protect myself from myself, I need a car that flatters me and looks after me if I am being honest.  For that reason I resisted taking the 930 to the Alps etc.  

There is no doubt that the 930 is an adrenaline car.  I get out of it with something ranging from a mild adrenaline buzz to a hand shaking adrenaline high.  It's awesome, but needs seat time and needs to be used in the right context.  If I was doing track days and lots of driving, it might have been a perfect fit.  I truly thought it would be peak 911 for me - and at one point, that was probably true.  That just isn't happening right now.  So we move on.  Life is too short to persevere with stuff that isn't working out - you of all people know that :) 

What has been gratifying, has been working with real car enthusiasts who know fast cars and having them confirm that this a really good car - well put together (now), well balanced and very fast.  I didn't write the description on Car-Iconics or make the Ruf comparison - they came up with all that.

I am not talking about Brexit - there is more than enough comment in the mainstream media for everyone to pick their poison and justify their own views.  But if I was to pick a metaphor, it might just be a car crash. 

Agree 100% with protecting yourself from yourself, I’m relieved your selling if I’m honest, mountain roads aren’t a safe place to have a mistake as run off can be measured in vertical feet

First/only car I’ve built for myself was a step too far, my adrenaline was buzzing before I’d get in for a drive

Lots of fun, had a few moments, last resulted in a slight off, only by luck I got away with it but was only an arm’s length away from decapitation. I changed my pants, had a quiet chat with myself and immediately decided repair/sell was the best way forward, spent years building it so it was the best I could afford and do, not once did I regret that sale.

My 930 and 964 are as far as I want to go with fast and raw, I’m always looking for the next fun car to add to my collection but nothing on my shopping list could be described as an adrenaline car.  

Life is very short and when I go I want to go the way I went :lol:

my two pence... not a big fan of alpine hooning in an older turbocharged car. Altitude really exacerbates any lag; off boost you have a low-ish compression NA engine and then when the boost returns almost all horses are present and accounted for and the transition in/after hairpins can become tedious at best and dangerous at worst. Or you drive at high revs all the time to keep the boost up and that brings it's own challenges and risks.

Fair point, but this isn't a 930 - its 3.6 and short optimised exhaust and inlet paths with LW internals and cams, modern-ish turbo at low-ish boost and modern EFI.  Its almost zero lag and very good off boost performance.  Its 993TT-alike rather than 930-alike.  And short 6 speed gears in a LW car.

It COULD be a great Alpine car, but you need to ease into it and learn it.  If I had no work or family commitments, I would invest the time and I expect I would love it.  Its just not the right time.  I get one week every 2 years for this kind of trip, unfortunately.

3 hours ago, GaryH said:

Looks like someone is about to pull the handbrake on ! :lol:

Game of chicken and Cummings has knicked the steering wheel.  And we have no airbags.

13 minutes ago, Richard Bernau said:

Game of chicken and Cummings has knicked the steering wheel.  And we have no airbags.

Bercow will throw a boat anchor out of the window soon. 

2 minutes ago, sopor said:

Sorry - I didn't give my data point for my observations - it was a 993tt. Your car is easily several hundred kg lighter which will be a big help.

You're a bit of a dark horse Felix. Sounds like you've had some pretty cool cars! 

I liked the 993tt but it was a bit of sledgehammer. Drove a friend's 993RS and realised what I was missing. Sold the 993tt back in 2010 and missed the boat on a "cheap" 993RS. Bought the car I lusted after in my youth (red 3.2 targa) in 2013 and rather like it. Just wish the chassis was a bit stiffer!

25 minutes ago, sopor said:

I liked the 993tt but it was a bit of sledgehammer. Drove a friend's 993RS and realised what I was missing. Sold the 993tt back in 2010 and missed the boat on a "cheap" 993RS. Bought the car I lusted after in my youth (red 3.2 targa) in 2013 and rather like it. Just wish the chassis was a bit stiffer!

stiffer, lighter, faster :ani_nerd: