Impact Bumpers

Quite simply that car is a supercar killer. I am so insanely jealous. Looks so SO much fun :)

Looks awesome and nice directing debut are you going for a golden globe next year?

Likes to rev doesn't it.

Certainly does like to rev and feels like it has all the inertia of a much smaller engine. As you can see, I am changing up at or just under 7,000rpm, but I have yet to hit a rev limiter. Unlike most turbos that make loads of midrange, this one really pulls hard in the 4500-7000rpm range and has a kick in the last 2000rpm more like a cammy NA engine. I still have no details on what is inside the engine.

Doesnt seem to care which gear its in does it, great stuff! Have you got some fresh oil in it?

No fresh oil yet. Its booked in for some TLC in April. Oil + brake fluid, geo and corner balance, ride heights (up a fraction particularly at the rear), soften shocks. It is set up for smooth tracks on R tyres.

I swapped the Supercup steering wheel in last night and have a new gear knob coming. Needs the drivers seat recovered/replaced. Might borrow the seats from the other car for now. Will add some stripes. Wheels could do with a refurb. Need to work out how to run a front plate as its a sticker currently and some grill material over the front oil cooler to prevent damage. Also needs a coat of wax as the paint is really dry.

Jev - I think it shows that say 450hp in a light car with sensible gears (ie., not 930) is plenty. I feel like I am at the borderline where any more hp and I would prefer to run stickier tyres. With your TT project, you will have more of a problem as you will have more midrange shove to challenge the rear tyres.

Holy Moly! Or more correctly, Unholy Moly! Not sure what's inside the engine? Banshees and wildcats. Looking forward to hearing more on this.

Kevin

I have just had a good chat with Matt Stoupas who owned Weltmeister in Melbourne and who built the engine to run in the Aussie Porsche Cup. He ran it in the back of a 993 Supercup car where it ran 1.2 bar on a adjustable boost set up apparently. Matt had fond memories of that car - one of 2 out of 40+ cars he has owned that he remembers fondly - and he has driven my car at Sapang with Jeremy. He says it quicker than a 997 TurboS in a straight line. The one weakness is the brakes, which are big enough - 993TT - but run through a not functioning 944T ABS system meaning without the ABS, there is way too much front bias and so they lock and feel grabby. One to be remedied. I will check this, but if I understand correctly, the engine in the 993 won the Aussie Porsche Cup in 1999.

The engine was built to the rules of the day on a high budget. Initial build was circa AUD$120,000 as it was built with Porsche motorsport parts. I think the actual build spec is lost in history but what Matt remembers is as follows. The engine had a lot of machine work in order to race reliably at high boost and includes head sealing rings. He thinks it has a GT2 crankshaft with Carillo rods and LW GT2 pistons. Also a GT2 oil pump and probably GT2 cams. It runs a LW flywheel out of the Porsche motorsport catalogue and a LW "button" clutch. Matt remembers how it launches on slicks for a race start, so they should be up for the task and I have felt no slip so far despite fumbling about 90% of my starts to date. The gearbox he described as a GT3Cup gearbox. Jeremy has told me its a 993 box with short gears and steel motorsport synchros. Again, it feels really slick and very positive with a lovely short throw action. I don't know what the turbo is yet, but I can ID the casing if not the internals visually and check back with Matt.

Both Jeremy and Matt have a lot of love for the car and lots of positive messages about how much I will enjoy it. When you buy a car like this, you buy the owner almost as much as the car, so these are good positive signs.

So all in all, I am reassured that it is what I thought it was and is built to a decent standard. I have no written provenance, but that is reflected in what I paid for it. At some point, the engine might get opened up for a check up, but I think I can live with a dyno run to initially confirm the health and outputs once its had a service.

Priorities to sort out are the brakes, electrics and suspension set up.

Lucky sod! :) would love to own something like that with race provenance. At least you will drive it like it should be driven rather than a speculators garage queen

Sounds like you bagged a proper un! Lucky man. :)

Nice mate, decent specs.

Be interesting to see how the abs has been fitted, which rear calipers do you have. 964 abs has he same proportioning valve setup as used in ib's so maybe that should be your first port of call as they can easily be swaped out for different versions/pressures.

Re the gearbox a gt3 box is cable shift compared rod shift for a tt box so should be fairly easy to work out which it is, he case and front mount is different too of course.

post-3-0-87497000-1457094711_thumb.jpegpost-3-0-66937800-1457094737_thumb.jpegpost-3-0-95083700-1457094771_thumb.jpegpost-3-0-40742400-1457094795_thumb.jpeg

Things are taking shape.

Gearknob? Check

Steering wheel? Check

Windscreen sun strip? Check

White stripes? Halfway

Jev - its all 993TT or big red calipers. The point about the proportioning valve is a good shout and worth checking. Matt said he went off 3 times at Sapang due to out braking himself, so its clearly not working as it ought to. He also said that without the ABS working, the front locking up is what you would expect.

The box is definitely a 993 box - I think the ref to GT3Cup was to the internals all being from Porsche motorsport, so its likes a GT3Cup box.

The box in PVX (Grey WEVO car) is a GT3 Cup transmission. A 993 motorsport box would be more like a Supercup transmission - outwardly same as Teo's 993RS transmission and in fact I don't think there is much in it but I'm no expert. I seem to remember both as looking quite similar. There will be a tag on yours somewhere. Cool video.

I think it shows that say 450hp in a light car with sensible gears (ie., not 930) is plenty.

Classic Bernau statement. 450bhp in a light car is obviously nuts, but we love it.

As Chris Harris would say, that is a weapon!

Perfect - signature stripes :cool:

post-3-0-21556600-1457204323_thumb.jpeg

What you see here is looking from the RHS at the turbo that sits behind the engine in the middle like a 935 single turbo. Boost goes straight up to the inter cooler through another custom piece of pipe. It breathes thru the carbon piece you see in the photo. There is another carbon pipe in the engine bay into a cone filter on the RHS of the engine.

post-3-0-16564200-1457205053_thumb.jpeg

Exhaust exhales thru short ish headers into a decent collector then turns 90 degrees across the rear of the car, then another 90 degree bend and straight into the turbo. So a very short run from exhaust valves to turbo. Or about as short as you can do a single turbo instal on a 911. Twin turbos with one each side you can go much shorter.

Weird. Photos are round the wrong way. Anyhoo.

post-3-0-00839000-1457205405_thumb.jpeg

After the turbo, exhaust exits left before doing a 90 degree turn and heading for the front of the car. The muffler is behind the LH rear wheel - where an IB's side muffler would be. In that muffler the exhaust does a 180 degree turn and comes out the LHS tail pipe.

Quite an elegant packaging solution.

post-3-0-23407800-1457205800_thumb.jpeg

More stickers.

It's a 993 gearbox. Not a TT box. Std 1st and 2nd and custom for the rest. Gear chart available in a couple of days. Sounds like a std 993 40% locking diff as well. Feels like a nice tight diff like my 3.2 diff but who knows. The 3.2 is like 993RS diff with asymmetric accel and decell. All good fun finding out the details.