Electric Air Conditioning. Will it work?

Jonny Hart

HI All,

I got my electric A/C prototype back yesterday. It has been gassed up and today I had a play with it.

Now don't laugh, it looks a bit Heath Robinson, but guess what? It does appear to work! The evaporator chilled down quite nicely. No measurements though, at this stage.

IMG_1950_zpsey6rnwvx.jpg

There are certainly 'packaging issues' ahead. E.g. where to fit the condenser and may have to have additional blower for the evaporator. How to mount the compressor, pipes, dryer etc. The fans you can see are just for test.

We need to design some control and safety interlock stuff as it pulls 45Amps! (e.g. it must only run with engine on)

There is some way to go but the initial tests look promising.

Cheers,

Jonny

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Problem is small electric cars run typically > 100v so much less current to get the same power.

The compressor shown is 12V but it is a 'scroll' type so quite efficient. It actually has three settings, the highest being 90A! We've only got 70A alternators in our cars so I'm sticking with the lowest setting.

That will never bloomin work, the force field generated will either suck the car into a macro black hole or transport you and your car back to 1982, when that funny green colour was acceptable!

Ps, I have a quantum mechanics degree from the Parker-Knoll university (online edition) , so arguing your point is senseless. :-)

Edited by SCud

• 4 months later...

Jonny

so the first warm days have arrived. Can you treat us to an update please

Matt

I've decided not to continue with this project because I can't face the idea of how the thread will turn out on Pelican!

(only joking)

I've bought 2 more compressors which have variable run rate. I've got so many evaporators now I could probably chill the whole of the UK. I am still looking for the magic size that will fit (roughly) in the Behr air box. In a bizarre twist, we are putting a system on a GT40 replica but that wont be for a few months.

I'm in a bit of a quandary. I want to use my car in the good weather but need to take it to bits to fit the A/C!

What should I do?

Use your car!

I'm in a bit of a quandary. I want to use my car in the good weather but need to take it to bits to fit the A/C!

What should I do?

Use your car...;)

Use your car! Use your car... ;)

Well you know I do!

I'm gonna schedule in some evenings to do the condenser fit as that is the main fuggering about job. Then the rest should be in the luggage bay and not that hard to do.

Well you know I do!

I'm gonna schedule in some evenings to do the condenser fit as that is the main fuggering about job. Then the rest should be in the luggage bay and not that hard to do.

Interested to see the development of this as:

1 I have seen (and bought) other excellent examples of your products and

2 The AC isn't great in 911s of our vintage and could usually do with some serious fettling / replacement.

Will the luggage bay bits be at the front (where the condenser blower motor is for those of us who like AC too much to remove it)?*

* the quickest weight saving for my car would be for me to go on a diet...

The idea is to mount the compressor right next to the battery (shortest leads as possible due to high current). Trying to get the evaporator to sit behind the original fresh air blower which will involve making a new air intake cowl. The condenser could go in the original front under belly location or replace the washer bottle a la 964 / 993..

Everything being in the front means shorter pipework so greater efficiency. Also, better weight distribution. The whole system should weigh around 20kgs I would hope.

How much bodywork drilling would be involved? - thinking about pipes to the condenser. Also would cold air feed into the current fresh air system or would other vents be needed?

Thanks

Roy

This looks very interesting…but if it could use some of the standard A/C holes in the front of the car, that would be even better!

I was going to try and be clever and say “the Tesla Roadster has A/C, I wonder if bits of that system could be used” until I read the first words I could find on it which said it used 400v electrics to minimise current drawn!

Ooooh I would like to have A/C - 600 mile round trip last weekend left me a little hot under the collar......

You could always talk to someone about that road rage you know...

How much bodywork drilling would be involved? - thinking about pipes to the condenser. Also would cold air feed into the current fresh air system or would other vents be needed?

Thanks

Roy

I feel sick every time I see a drill going anywhere near an old car! I will utilise existing holes / panels for as little disruption as possible. I can't promise zero body mods on this one, but every one will be carefully considered. Unlike Porsche, am determined to use the fresh air inlet rather than have yet another system. Hope to drive it all off the existing cable controls as well so no goofy extra dials, switches etc. Understated simplicity is the word.

This looks very interesting…but if it could use some of the standard A/C holes in the front of the car, that would be even better!

I was going to try and be clever and say “the Tesla Roadster has A/C, I wonder if bits of that system could be used” until I read the first words I could find on it which said it used 400v electrics to minimise current drawn!

You got it in one, it's all about the current. Most EV's are at least 144V so they don't have a problem. We've managed to source a super efficient compressor so we are hoping that the performance is good enough without pulling too many amps. There will be compromises so will have to suck it and see!