What fuel rating do you use in your 3.2?

RichD1

I've had my SSE for just over a year now and when I had a pre-sale check over by my local Indy he said that ordinary 4 star was fine for the 3.2. I assume that this means a 95 RON fuel and have been using Morrisons and Sainsburys 'finest' since then.

Having just been reading through the owners manual and it states 98 RON.

Not aware of any problems but what is the considered opinion of IB owners?

I've always put Optimax or similar in my cars. It may or may not make much difference in reality, but I like to think that I put the best things possible in and on my car.

Wouldn't put Morrisons fuel in my wife's 14 year old Renault let alone the IB ......

Several years go I had all vehicles for business that I worked for using fuel card that provided incredibly cheap fixed price per litre from all participating stations. All Morrisons fuel stations were participants and conveniently there was a store just down the road from the main office. After about 6 months all company car users including myself were noticing significant (i.e. 10%) reductions in mpg (diesel and petrol vehicles).

Have always found Tesco and Sainsbury fuel OK on daily drivers but still believe the extra 2p/litre for standard Shell / Esso stuff is worth it.

I have previously run the IB on the Tesco Momentum 99 Octane stuff - runs beautifully on it but the high ethanol content scares me a bit so generally its Optimax

Hi boys:

in L.A. we only had 91 octane, the most you could get .Then there was (is ) racing 103 if you want to have fun $9.00 a gallon.What i did is i went once a month to paint store and got one gallon of toluene lacquer thinner.Got a funnel and put it in the tank on the parking lot .A lot of people could not believe i did that..;-)

Then top it of with half a tank of 91 octane.It was sweet sauce. The engine run like a champ...

Now I am happy that in Europe you can get 98 or more.....when i travel north i get at home in Czech 108 octane...Cost more but you get more miles out of the tank...

Ivan

Shell VPower only in the IB, but use Millers Vsp-e to add mild octane boost and ethanol protection when I can't find Shell.

When I picked my car post Motec install, I could only find a BP garage - the difference between VPower and BP 'ultimate' was stark - much better with VPower. Had good results with Total excellium when I last used it, performance seems to belie its 97Ron rating.

in L.A. we only had 91 octane, the most you could get ..... Now I am happy that in Europe you can get 98 or more

Ivan, don't get too excited about EU octane rating being so much better compared to the US, it's a different system.

Nearly everywhere uses RON, as we do in Europe, but the US and Canada use an average of RON (Research Octane Number) and MON (Motor Octane Number), known as AKI (Anti Knock Index) or by the formula R+M/2.

This means that the US octane rating on the pumps is 4 to 6 octane numbers lower than the same fuel would be rated on the pump in Europe.

Mark

I could only find a BP garage - the difference between VPower and BP 'ultimate' was stark - much better with VPower.

Totally agree, BP stuff is shizer.

I can easily notice it in the 911 but was most noticeable in a scooby I had a few years back. I'll take a chunky detour to get Vpower instead of BP if at all possible.

Can people really feel the difference between shell and BP in everyday driving?

Are we sure this Isn't the placebo effect ?

I can't say I've noticed but then again I haven't been looking, will do then refill

Yes - could just be timing, eg end of batch BP vs fresh Vpower at each petrol station.

Maybe mine with its higher CR is more RON sensitive, I dunno, but I get definitely tell.

Can people really feel the difference between shell and BP in everyday driving?

Are we sure this Isn't the placebo effect ?

I can't say I've noticed but then again I haven't been looking, will do then refill

I always stick Vpower in my old tank even though there's a BP a stones throw from my house.

With gogo juice being more sensibly priced at the moment even the daily even gets the good stuff albeit the Tesco 99 RON offering.

I guess the good thing about fuel discussions are there aren't as as many options as oils so the threads are marginally shorter :D

I have to admit that all our vehicles get either Morrisons or Sainsburys standard diesel or petrol. My daily driver a BMW 525D I've had from new in 2002 and now is showing just over 164K miles. Engine never been touched, never been aware of any bad running etc, apart from when I put petrol in!! If I was still doing the motorway miles I would try a comparison but now I'm retired a tank full lasts me almost 2 months.

We don't have a Shell garage near us but BP is just around the corner from Morrisons and Sainsburys so I need to fill up the SSE so perhaps I'll give it a try.

One other thing is would add about the V power, the smell... I may be on my own here, but it smells much more sweet when burning compared to any other fuel.

Anything goes in mine from moonshine to thinners.

Ran on Total Excellium for while as it was convenient and possibly saw a slightly better mpg. But it put out 240bhp on Sainsbury Regular on one of it's many dyno sessions.