Impact Bumpers
gturner008

Engine sound insulation pad - need one!

Hi everyone. My 76 2.7 needs the thick sound pad that fits the bulkhead inside the engine bay. It's missing and has been since I bought the car.

Don't get me wrong. I love the extra sound of the engine, but feel I could do with putting it back in place.

Does anyone know where to get one from . Better still, does anyone know of a good, cheap, fix? Anyone found a pad and adapted it?

Cheers. Gary

hi there are two types of engine sound proof..made by Porsche. One is just a foam and pretty easy to install.The other one is foam plus one side with a rubber compound on it-my favorite.That one is a little more tricky to install but it is an original part as it use be installed by factory.

also good 3M adhesive is a must for an installation.

Ivan

here is the thicker version

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/101_Projects_Porsche_911/65-Sound_Pad_Replacement/images_small/Pic2.JPG

this is the foam version

http://www.porscheoem.com/prodimg.php?src=http://c767170.r70.cf2.rackcdn.com/G91155689101.jpg&h=200&partnum=91155689101

Many thanks for responses. I've ordered the one from type911 shop. £40 sounds a good price. Looking forward to fitting it. I'll get some 3M glue too.

Gary

Drop the engine a little to give you a chance with the sticky stuff then glue & stick the lower (hidden) edge first. Then add glue to the middle/upper & secure the pad in the top tags.

Hi

I Didn't notice much difference with or without the sound pad. Removed my original one as it disintegrated over the years and ran it without for a couple of years. Then fitted one from type 911 and couldn't hear any difference. Could be going deaf though ! However it did tidy up the engine bay with it fitted. I just glued the top part with 3m glue and didn't need to lower the engine.

My engine looks awful without the pad. That's the main reason. I'm sure I'll have knuckle skinning fun over the Easter holiday!

Will be curious to know if you notice much difference. Don't have pad in the engine as was removed by previous owner, and wasn't sure if it makes big difference.

My engine looks awful without the pad. That's the main reason. I'm sure I'll have knuckle skinning fun over the Easter holiday!

Yes mine too that's why I put one in. Dead easy to fit just slide it in !

Thanks Phil... When ever I hear that 'dead easy to fit' line I run to the hills. I don't know any job that is easy when it comes to classic cars!

Thanks Phil... When ever I hear that 'dead easy to fit' line I run to the hills. I don't know any job that is easy when it comes to classic cars!

Spark plugs on a Triumph spitfire, 100% access and you even get a seat to sit on! GT6 takes 50% longer.....

Chris.

I recently got one from type 911 and I can confirm its good quality

Hmm, not sure about easy with the engine in.

You'll struggle to apply the glue without good access. Don't spray adhesive the pad before fitting either as it will just stick to everything and you'll never be able to position it. I slid the pad in dry, then squirted some spray adhesive behind it in various places.

You also have to take struts off the lid as the pad has slots that go over the strut mount.

P.s. Foam only pad made no difference to sound levels.

Fitted fine. A bit tricky in terms of glue getting everywhere. Basically an ok job. Looks so much better.

PS, just sold the car to a lovely lady yesterday. Her first 911. Suggested she joins this forum.