Track day fun

Beaky

That's a good shout, you getting a cage fitted?

The Mk3 does come with roll bars as standard (the lower one in the picture) but you can upgrade to a thinker more sturdy one (top one) as opposed to a full roll cage and still use both the soft and hard tops.

So may go down that route, but first I need to upgrade the brakes.

Although they faired well, as I'm still a novice, they did fade , so time for better disc's, racing oil and braided hoses to begin with.

post-511-0-25584200-1459925810_thumb.jpg

Pad compound make a huge difference to stopping power and fade resistance. Don't overlook them. Mintex have a wide range probably an 1155/1166 with decent fluid would give you what you need. Speak to Alan at Questmead.

VT

Pad compound make a huge difference to stopping power and fade resistance. Don't overlook them. Mintex have a wide range probably an 1155/1166 with decent fluid would give you what you need. Speak to Alan at Questmead.

VT

Thanks

Researching through the MX5 community, quite a few use EBC yellow stuff.

I've never use EBC pads so have no reference point but I remember reading on here somewhere they are best avoided?

Anyone have a view on them

Forgot to mention that Ferodo no longer make the DS2500 for the MX5 mk3 (there is only one old set in the UK) so its a case of EBC or Mintex 1144's the latter need to be made to order I'm told.

MX5 mk3 will have the same issues as a std SC/3.2 re brakes - not very large discs, no ducted air plus, in addition, small sliding single piston calipers.

Ferodo or Mintex offer cost effective semi race or race pads, which together with Motul/Castrol SRF fluid should be enough. Removing the backing plates and adding ducting is next on the easy wins. If Mintex/Ferodo is not enough the Pagid or Perf Friction race compounds should be. Finally, big brake kit.

$0.02