Brands 28th June GT Porsche eve

gt two

Yes Carlbon I was pleased with the car, the grip was great on the TB15. First outing in this car and I was having a lot of fun.

Only thing I had to let past was a 991 turbo S but I didn't want to take unnecessary risks.

Mark was you next door? If I had known at the time it was you. It was only last night when I logged on and saw your avatar.

I enjoyed the rain, it's nice to feel the limit of grip at lower speed, if that makes sense.

Mark was you next door

Yep.

Not a fan of the wet myself anymore, probably age related, but I find if I can't carry enough speed in the corner and get on the power early the old IB is slaughtered by the newer cars!

Noise testing was a bit of a farce last night, I only just got through with newly stuffed baffles and MarkJ's Cayman failed at over 103.

Also while I was on track I saw three cars get black flagged for noise (all flagged at Druids, so I guess noise issue on the pit straight), two Caymans and one GT4. To my ears, there were louder cars so not sure what was going on.

Mark

yes very erratic with the noise testing. Standing in the pitlane there was no way my R was louder than a lot of the cars already passed for noise, so definitely something wrong going on there. I explained it was a standard road car on a standard exhaust and not in 'sport mode' so how could it fail the noise test!? but bolshy bloke wasn't having any of it. Wasn't impressed but also glad in a karma way as I dodged a bullet with the monsoon rainfall that befell everyone. I hung around for about an hour but got cold and bored sheltering in a garage from the rain so went home.

They said my car was 103.6 !! :blink: yet I passed at Bedford a few months ago....go figure.

Some nice cars about so shame the weather was so awful. Sorry to hear someone went off too.

Edited by MarkJ

Brands has been a particular pita last couple of times for noise, no doubt the Nimbys and local council have been bending their ear about noise :rolleyes: but even so, there were definitely louder cars than me on track so yes it is random.

Your 3.2 wouldn't pass anything below a 105db day RB ! glorious sounding as it is. :wub:

I failed 3 times with baffles inserted. The guy failed loads of people.

A GT3 owner that I shared a garage with had a car that was a lot louder than mine, he told me only to rev to 4k. I passed and had no issues on the drive by.

Very overzealous noise tester.

Edited by gt two

I was there in my 986, thoroughly enjoyed the evening, despite (or perhaps because of...) the rain.

My brother was also there in his 986CS - unfortunately his evening was spoilt when he rear-ended the Armco.

I was there in my 986, thoroughly enjoyed the evening, despite (or perhaps because of...) the rain.

My brother was also there in his 986CS - unfortunately his evening was spoilt when he rear-ended the Armco.

Ah your Peters brother, I was in the green 968.

It could have been a lot worse, I see he's already sourced a bumper and working on the lights. Nick's 968 Turbo is going to take a bit more work ;-)

Was your brothers CS a red one?

It is.

As well as lights and bumper, the tailgate took a knock and the right hand rear quarter is creased. He's already sourced a s/h bumper, but the rear lenses are proving more difficult to find - looks like he'll have to fork out £200 per unit.

An expensive evening, however it could have been far worse - as we came out of Graham Hill bend, he indicated for me to pass and I pulled out just as the spin started, so I had to go down the right side to avoid 'T'-boning him. No particular skill on my part, it's the Boxster that saved the day - my first time on the track with it (wet or dry) and I couldn't believe how good it was.

You lot need badges so you can talk to each other in real life :)

I'm sure the sheriff can sort something out for us ?

Ah your Peters brother, I was in the green 968.

It could have been a lot worse, I see he's already sourced a bumper and working on the lights. Nick's 968 Turbo is going to take a bit more work ;-)

Yes, the damage looked fairly extensive, how did he get it home?

Yes, the damage looked fairly extensive, how did he get it home?

We were there until about 9:30 straightening the exhaust a bit and securing it back up. Main issue was a flat tyre and getting the wheel off, wheel nut snapped.

in there end a can of tyre weld saved the day and he nursed it home.

Didn't realise he had the off at Graham Hill, quite a bit of run off there.

We were there until about 9:30 straightening the exhaust a bit and securing it back up. Main issue was a flat tyre and getting the wheel off, wheel nut snapped.

in there end a can of tyre weld saved the day and he nursed it home.

Didn't realise he had the off at Graham Hill, quite a bit of run off there.

The tail came out coming out of Graham Hill bend, he almost held it so the spin actually happened on the straight. Leaving the track on the left hand side, the run-off area gets smaller when the Armco kinks towards the track - this was the bit he hit.

With hindsight, he would have been better to let the spin happen when it started, but of course, that's counter-intuitive - especially if your older brother is climbing all over the back of your car!

As he said himself, he's had far worse things happen in his life over the last few years so he's taking a pragmatic view of the whole affair.

Was the 968 turbo the blue one?

I followed him into Clearways and he was lifting the inside wheel which was pretty impressive in the wet

Yup thats was the one, now blue with some silver/white stripes down the passenger side :smash:

It's a monster of a machine, 968 3.0l bottom end with upgraded pistons, crank etc and a 944 2.7 head again with upgraded cams, valves etc, just over 400bhp and 420 torque at 0.9 bar. Runs Motec which he was fine tuning on the night, real shame as after about 8 years development bar the mapping it was finally how he wanted it, still it's repairable and hopefully not too spendy.

I don't think much from the Porsche stable would keep up with it in the dry, the 968 chassis is capable of much more power than the 240bhp standard NA engine when set up correctly.

IMG_1060_zps9wofwplv.jpg

IMG_1062_zpscusnswy2.jpg