C12 Brake upgrade, DS2500 pads

Beaky

I agree, new caliper's or a refund,

The chances are there's a problem with the machining of the piston bores that won't be solved just by new pistons,

It would benefit their reputation to man up and give you a satisfactory outcome.

Who want's to drive round with iffy brakes

What a PITA!

I'd take the refund. As others have said you cant mess about with brakes and even if the new/updated set last a while it will always be a niggle in your brain and you just know that sods law will have them fail again when you really really need them not to (Europe road trip etc etc).

Porsche calipers have been going strong for decades and I cant think of a single reported actual failure, if it aint broke....

Having spoken with Tuthills, who have supplied and used them on both customer and their rally cars, seems like I'm just unlucky and got a duff set.

So I'll give it one more go with a new set, fingers crossed.

I would use them, Chris is a good guy. Safari cars all use his calipers (albeit a different design) and they have been 100% reliable.

That said, nothing wrong with braking force using 964 fronts and 3.2 rears over DS3000s on my car - can lock the wheels no problem.

• 5 weeks later...

I have used Chris and c12 calipers for 4 years and won 2 x championships with no issues in my 911 race car.

They have just come off car and returned for refurb and they are almost as good as new appearance wise.

I am also sponsored by EBC and with their blue pads these are very effective on track and road.

i would say that as these are crucial to car performance I am very particular with maintainence and always gentle pushing pistons back into caliper to ensure seals are spotless to ensure no damage

i also clean edges of pads to remove all paint etc before fitting so they dont stick when hot etc

I would speak to Chris direct as he is always keen to assist and ensure his brakes and brand are working as intended, he is not difficult to deal with

boydyrs

• 1 month later...

Quick Update.

Chris at Carbon 12 has made me a new set of rear calipers with lower tolerance for all seal pistons etc. etc. and as a precautionary measure refurbed the fronts likewise. Both have been pressure tested to 1000psi  so fingers crossed this will fix the issue.

I'll pick up the car on Monday and will report thereafter.

Best of luck with the new parts but I still have never heard of these calipers playing up. Your car isn't missing a proportioning valve or something along those lines, is it?

Wonder if it is worth testing it on brake rollers - see relative force split between front and rear. Am just thinking out loud here.

16 hours ago, johndglynn said:

Best of luck with the new parts but I still have never heard of these calipers playing up. Your car isn't missing a proportioning valve or something along those lines, is it?

Wonder if it is worth testing it on brake rollers - see relative force split between front and rear. Am just thinking out loud here.

Hi John, I don't think that the bias value was touched but will make enquires. 

17 hours ago, BenC said:

good luck :)

Cheers

54 minutes ago, sladey said:

Gagging feeling? What did they do to you?

I was tied up, but escaped.................................Nagging it should have read :homersimpson:

Stepped into the garage this morning and gave them a good prod, so far all fine but the previous issues only arose when it was colder.

Nevertheless fingers, toes, all my digits crossed it is finally fixed.

Yeah I understand where you are coming from. Brakes are so vital to confidence and you need to know they are 100% 

weve had the same issues with our track car, change the brakes and there's an odd psychological question mark in your mind.

your logic says they are good, better, etc etc but your brain needs to sort of learn that when you are flat out at 150 mph approaching a 90 bend ... worse when you have someone up your arrrr5e ! That you can trust them.

I found that you do stop thinking about it after a while.

as said, try some extreme braking in "safe get out of jail situations"

good luck

Graham

So far so good, off to the ACE this evening to put some more miles on the clock.

Not sure I'm still 100% comfortable with the pedal feel especially when compared to The Tuthills car at the classic show which is fitted with the  same a brakes, maybe I'm just over sensitive/paranoid. 

I wonder if I'd be better off brake feel wise off also upgrading to a 930 master brake cylinder?

Edited by Beaky

• 7 months later...

Anyone know if Carbon 12 are still trading, They never had a web site and their facebook page has disappeared.

Several people have asked me about my brakes but I don't want to recommend if they are now defunct.

• 4 years later...