What's my 964 worth?

R500_WKD

With the Uber Tractor nearing completion I am going to sell the 964. That was always the plan. With the values going north as they are it's tempting to hang on to it, but I don't need two 911's in the garage.

Its a 1990 C2, black with a black interior. The milage is 126k.

During my ownership I have had the body stripped, all the rust spots repaired and a respray - photographic record to prove. I have also had all of the suspension apart, replaced every bush and put on new Bilstein dampers and new springs.

The interior has all been replaced, re carpeted and refurbished.

The engine shows no signs of needing a rebuild, very few oil spots on the garage floor, good oil pressure, not using any oil.

As a result it drives and goes very well. It's a pretty stunning car even if I say so myself.

The down side is that it's a cat. D car. Categorised at a time when they were worth very little for front offside accident damage. We have had a good poke about when the body was stripped for respray and the repair is very good, so no issue, but it's still categorised.

I have a good history file, but it's not as complete as I would like it to be.

Prices on Pistonheads/Autotrader and the forums have gone through the roof but I'm very aware that there is a big difference between advertised prices and selling prices - and there is the Cat D status to account for.

So what do you think? How much should I put it up for? I don't want to take the piss and have it sitting there for moths, equally I don't want to under sell it.

All views would be welcome.

Given the mileage it might be a good idea to do a leak & compression test as that would be a concern for a 964 at this mileage and good/bad results would have a big say in price IMO! I think Boxey had his advertised for £34 so assume it went for 30ish - it was a track biased car circa 150k miles. Maybe a good idea to turn up at one of the L90 meets to gauge interest & more price opinions.

Put it up at retail and let them argue the value down for something that happened (probably) 10+ years ago!

If a punter from abroad buys it, the CAT means nothing!

Where do you think all the UK stock of CAT C/D Porsche have gone... There used to be loads of CAT cars and LHD...They didnt all get Broken down for spares

Plenty were resold and exported

However for newer and current models IME from a few years buying and selling with a good mate who is an absolute fiend for Porsche.

Normally 10-20% discounts are expected because of a CAT D tag, but I don't really go for that as the car gets older and rarer.

I would get an inspection done including an inspection of the repair for full disclosure and chance your arm a touch under retail for UK buyers

Those buyers that make a fuss of the repaired status of a tastefully restored car weren't seriously on for buying the car anyway.

So for me the answer is in your question already.

IMHO Any 26 year old car should be bought on condition, if its not a garage ornament or "investment" car then a minor bump years back and subsequent usage over several more years kind of negate each other for me

My own 76 car was bought cat D for a wing and bonnet expecting the worst we put it on our Jig...

It was 10mm out on one of the Lower fwd Front suspension mount

and it needed less than many cars that come in with no history attached by insurance assessors...

and then its had a new... well a new "everything"

Whats better or worth more a likely rusty behind the scenes 76' untouched or the above?

Finally to illustrate further My Cayenne Turbo I sold for good money, basically the trade value you would never know its been repaired and it lives up a mountain in Europe now...

Will the next Euro owner be told of the UK only CAT tag?... If it comes back in to the UK it loses the Tag anyhow

In short CAT tags were nonsense when they came in and better now they've been axed!

phew bit ranty but you get my drift ;)

Full on rant...I bet you feel much better now.

Thanks for the thoughts. They are along similar lines to mine. When it was valued at less than £10k in 1999 they were very quick to write off. With the values back up no one would dream of not repairing it today and the categorisation would never happen for exactly the same ding. What matters is the quality of the repair.

Any idea what retail might be on a black/black c2 in good condition? There are a lot of people flying kites at the moment. One sold with similar milage in black last month at £43k on Pistonheads. I think those trying to sell at £50k plus are probably dreaming.

Not read the description but it looks cheap at that money. Should find a new home relatively quickly.

Solid C2s with no recent rebuilds are an easy £40k+ for insurance now. Cat D is nothing if its been on a jig: I just valued a modified Cat D 964 well into the £50k bracket for insurance.

I think some of the non-standard stuff will put people off, so you'll need a buyer who can look past that.

If it sticks then change the steering wheel and road wheels back to standard and lose the footwell chequerplate, give it a good polish and redo the pics with an interesting background. These are hard cars to find in good condition - I get a lot of emails looking for good 964s.

Glad to see you catching up with the 964 C2 market JG

Not much catching up - they have been into the 40s since last year. Pushed Twinny to get max money for his.

I wish you all the best with your sale but I think you will struggle there's cars on piston heads for the same money that are not cat d and had engine rebuild I see it more at £25000 but this is only my opinion

Really OCD and possibly just me...but swap the wiper arms over so they're the right way around.

May just be me, but the wiper arms being transposed always raises questions when I see it on a 911; if they're on wrong it raises a suspicion that other parts might be.

I don't think aero-blades particularly suit the cars either (the attachment to arms not originally designed to have them is never elegant) but this is just my opinion.

Irrespective of my, possibly unhelpful, feedback, good luck with the sale.

I wish you all the best with your sale but I think you will struggle there's cars on piston heads for the same money that are not cat d and had engine rebuild I see it more at £25000 but this is only my opinion

One thing I learnt from JG when he was valuing mine is that he always uses data reference points, quite precise ones at that. I had a quick look through the first few pages of Pistonheads and only saw 3, two where sub 100k miles C2 manual coupe around £50k and the third was a RS rep for more - there are C4, Targa, cabs & tiptronics but of course they are at a lower price point.

One thing I learnt from JG when he was valuing mine is that he always uses data reference points, quite precise ones at that. I had a quick look through the first few pages of Pistonheads and only saw 3, two where sub 100k miles C2 manual coupe around £50k and the third was a RS rep for more - there are C4, Targa, cabs & tiptronics but of course they are at a lower price point.

Thant's exactly what I found. Lot's of Targa's and C4's or Tiptronics from £30k upwards, but very few C2 Manuals and most of them around the £50k mark. Hence thinking that £36k was a reasonable price that should sell quickly.

Don't appear to have a long queue of people fighting to hand the cash over! An offer at £31k and one at £32k. Only 36 hours into the advert, will hold and see what occurs.

That looks like a couple of decent offers to me a lot of people asking silly money for pretty average cars the good low mile original cars seem to be finding homes at good money think I would be biting there hand off at 32k. Having sold my 964 last year although I had interest not a long que of people fighting over it either GLWS

Well it's gone chaps. 4 days on Pistonheads, got the asking price. Perhaps John was right and I should have asked for a bit more.

Still, I'm happy, new owner is happy, and I think it's gone to a good new home.

I think you could have got a higher price with a little bit more prep & marketing effort, but what matters is you offered it at a price you were happy with, it sold relatively painlessly and you can move on to the next thing! Good work.

Anyone who thinks you can buy a solid 964 C2 Coupe for £30k or less is living in a dream world.