I Bought A Sleeper

Was looking for a nice BMW 3 coupe for Mrs. WC but woke up on Sat, morning and a put a cheeky bid in on something a little more practical

Not sure if it is a bargain as I don't collect it until this Sat. but how ever it turns out I'm sure it will be a money pit

Not quite, getting rid of our Renault Scenic (dreadful car, spiteful piece of rubbish) as my son said 'Dad driving one of those makes you look like you've given up on life' :o

Problem solves as its going to be replaced with a 2003 Audi S4 Avant, all 4.2 litres, 40 valves, 344 bhp, 410 Nm of old skool NA autobahn storming German engineering :cool:

You only live once. I applaud all V8 owners.

I find I drive the Cayenne TTS in full woofling along range rover mode most of the time and it just burbles about very comfortably. Acceleration is there if needed. I am sure you will enjoy NA V8 even more.

I toyed with the idea of one of them (avant). They make a lovely noise.

They do have a bit of a drinking problem though. Not a concern if you don't do big mileage.

Good purchase.

12 - 16 mpg but they make a fantastic sound.

I think the chains came along in 2004.

Belts are the better option.

One of my guys got one of the later cars with chain driven cams fantastic looking machine.

At around 100K miles the tensioners failed making the car beyond economical repair.

If it's cheap enough have fun until it goes pop then fit a VW 3.0 diesel.

Bought myself a 2007 Audi s5 , 4.2 v8 a couple of years ago, best car I have ever owned ?, sold cause I thought I couldn't afford the fuel then got a small seat but I want to get another s5 now , I miss it real bad ?

In our B6 S4 the wife would take the girls to school and come back with the mpg comp saying 4mpg :(

That was until a ring went, lunched the bore and a new engine had to go in. Under warranty thankfully but even then got through a litre of Mobile 1 per 1kmiles! Nearly as much spent on oil as petrol.

Nice noise but with two little kids in the back it may as well been. 2.0ltr TDI.

Outted for a Toyota Verso as that is all we could find to part ex it for!

We bought a 2004 S4 Avant with Tiptronic wotsit and flapsio paddleage. It drinks fuel... but that's not really a bother as I'm too busy enjoying that 4.2 V8 thunder... a bit enhanced with a Milltek exhaust. I litre of oil per 1000 miles is normal consumption.

Fabulous. Fast. Funky.

Thanks for the comments, seems like equal pegging of love and fear for my first V8, first V8, just did some quick sums and my four cars total up to 14.1 litres, reckon I'm going to need to get a paper round and evening pub job, 'will work for fuel' ;)

Nige, it's got chains not belts :wacko: hoping to get a few miles of fun before engine out and upgrade everything as a bit of expensive preemptive maintenance

post-3031-0-82227400-1462399689_thumb.jpg

Coil packs and aux. radiators, front suspension bushes seem to be common weak links too but easy enough to replace, other than that I'm hoping it will be quite a bomb proof car that we can rack up plenty of miles with

One upgrade I may do is a taller 6th gear as it has the manual box which seems to have quite a low top gear for motorway cruising

Gina how do you find the Milltek exhaust on long motorway journeys? From the clips I can find on Youtube it seems to give the V8 a good throaty roar but not sure its right for family enjoyment while travelling at autobahn cruising speeds for half a day at a time. You're not too far from me, surprised I haven't heard you drive past or maybe I have and it wasn't thunder I'd thought I'd heard!

As for mpg it won't see big weekly miles as I have an economical 3.0TD Toyota 4x4 :D for my work commute but it will see a few cross Europe trips in all weathers

WC... I'd keep the standard exhaust if you're going to use the car for family duties. Ours, being an Avant, amplifies the sound somewhat due to being a big 'ole resonance chamber.

No kids means I can turn the V8-ness up to 11 :steering: It's a car that, tbh, I never want to be without :mad jg:

Cool. Lily and I were eyeing this up at the weekend...

haynes-v8-box.jpg:)

Gary - those model kits are very realistic, the chain tensioners are designed to fail at 100K requiring you spend twice the purchase price on a rebuild kit.

(Only joking WC - I'm just jealous!)

ps - need to do an update on the 928.....

Edited by R2D2

Calling all Moderators.......... we need a Mumsnet section for Gary as if 'you'all is her real daddy' she'd be a flat six type of gal :cool:

Actually Gary thanks for the prompt, I hadn't thought of checking Mumsnet for Audi V8 rebuild threads, bet all the school run mums will have some top tuning tips

Gina, thank you, confirmed what my head was telling me, not buying a new exhaust should give me an extra week or two of fuel money

R2D2, chain tensioners are right up there on the paranoia list, going to book up MRC to do a thorough PPI (post purchase inspection) :wacko:

Calling all Moderators.......... we need a Mumsnet section for Gary as if 'you'all is her real daddy' she'd be a flat six type of gal :cool:

Only because they don't do a flat-six :P

Definitely mine :lol: She now pesters me every day to setup the PS3 steering wheel and pedals to her height.

Edited by GaryH

Been a good, bad, good, bad, good day

Car was as described, Mrs, WC very pleased with how the car looked, test drive went well, no rattles on start up, gear shift precise, car felt very solid with reassuring pace, thought I could feel a small drivetrain vibration while accelerating up through the gears, even did a return run but put it down to the road surface :doh2:

To celebrate our new purchase we stopped for fish and chips in Tenby on the way back, soggy chips and greasy fish reminded me why I don't eat UK seaside gruel

Mrs WC drove back, everything felt good even in treacherous wet conditions, very happy with the omph and ride even got 28.5mpg over the 190 mile trip back with some twinkle toe throttle control :D

WC Jr. and I decided to go for a more spirited run to try and recreate the vibration under acceleration as it was niggling me, quickly found out what the cause was the split second after a very big vibration and all loss of the clutch, limped home to tell the family the bad news, Jr. WC not, very not happy

Considering the price I paid I knew I was taking a punt and as the seller seemed a genuine guy I'm going to take this bend in the road of V8 ownership on the chin, haven't got time to get all frustrated and angry. Just need to sort my 964 out for the June trip and then I'll drop the box and fit a new clutch. Should be good practise for when I have to take the engine out to refresh the chain tensioners etc :unsure:

After only driving it for less than 5 miles before the fun stopped I already know it is the car for us :wub:

Bummer. But not surprised you are taking it on the chin.

Too right, get the 964 ready. It's less than 4 weeks mate. Are you on whatsapp yet? You are missing the pre trip chat and banter.

Not on Whatsapp, only been back in the country a year, haven't even got a mobile phone yet :D

Up rated brake pads, brake fluid and cat-delete in tomorrow morning before friends come over for the rest of the day, if it's not done it will be a case of 'here, hold my beer while I bleed the brakes'