Problem number 1 - The effing bonnet won't open - 1979SC

ROADIESEAN

hi,this is the locking type

911-511-903-00-pic1_copy_1.jpg

If you have regular plastic T type handle try to remove the T handle so the cable slips away to the latch.Moving the hood side to side should do the trick.After make sure to adjust the rubber stops correctly and the latch it self as well.

Ivan

Sean worse case if the cable has parted there is a method but it will require drilling a small hole in the front panel behind the front bumper and a bit of bent wire.....try the other methods first of course!!!

PS There's a thin line between love and hate.

I know it's not of any help right now, but once you get the bonnet open, consider running an extra wire out under the slam panel to exit through the flitch plate anound the headlamp area. Put a loop on the wire and tuck away ready for just such an emergency. I've done that quite some time ago using a piece of stainless wire....not have had to call upon it yet but one never knows!

David.

I've also done as David suggests, and find I use the external pull to open the boot just as often as the original internal one.

I had an issue with the engine lid cable once, ended up taking the silencer off to push the latch pin up. Bit of a pain, and made me think how you would do it at the front if it ever happened (without doing the drilling the front bumper method).

• 2 weeks later...

So the good news is I've managed to get the bonnet open and fixed.

Here's what was wrong. When they resprayed the car they refitted the lock too low and as a result it wasn't actually locking at all. I managed to get my fingers under the bonnet and prise it open (not as bad as it sounds !!) and then cleaned and refitted the lock pulling the Bowden cable nice and tight and the job is a good'un !! Whoop !!!

So the good news is I've managed to get the bonnet open and fixed.

Here's what was wrong. When they resprayed the car they refitted the lock too low and as a result it wasn't actually locking at all. I managed to get my fingers under the bonnet and prise it open (not as bad as it sounds !!) and then cleaned and refitted the lock pulling the Bowden cable nice and tight and the job is a good'un !! Whoop !!!

Well done - fit the auxillary cable for the 'just in case' in future.