New Garage Doors ...any opinions?

Mobydick

I'm looking at getting a new garage door, but a bit overwhelmed by the number of suppliers and choice.

I heard Hormann doors were good, but I want a black GRP up and over door - and they don't do it in black.

I've looked at the main chain 'house improvement' companies Anglian, Zenith too, but not sure how good they are with garage doors - I think they are mainly window people.

Any advice or good/bad experiences appreciated! Thanks, Mike

Hormann are down the road from me, seem to be one of the premium brands.

I ended up getting a five metres sectional roller one with an opener from ebay and fitted it myself (surprising how much energy is stored in the springs). I swapped the puny timber out above the opening at the same time for something much stronger.

The ebay seller was building an industrial estate and had a load of them made in China. I've subsequently seen the Hormann version, the hardware's better than mine but the panels and finished look are very similar.

The people we bought the house from had lived here for forty years with a poorly installed garage door that could not be closed!

Henderson are very good but are more industrial. We have got an electric one with remote control, cant remember the make, I would say get one with a safe edge rather than a beam as the beam only sees what is in front of it. Worth paying the extra for a guarantee as bits and call out are expensive. Baz

I had a replacement roller door fitted last year as the motor on the previously installed Securioglide had failed after 10 years.

I decided on the Hormann as the motor is mounted externally rather than in the roller as per the Securioglide and could be serviced easier if there was any issues. It also has obstruction sensing electronics built into the motor rather than a fixed LED sensor.

The garage door is painted dark blue to match the house paintwork but after a few months I noticed that there was scuffs and small scratch marks starting to appear on the slats. When I approached the Installer he said that this is always going to happen due to the door being rolled up on itself. also matters are made worse with dirt and grit getting on the surface of the door. I said to him that I'd never been aware of such marks on the Securioglide after 10 years but it had started to corrode in the joins between the slats.

This slowly got worse and after getting a visit from the Hormann rep. they agreed to fit a new door roller.

This was fitted about a month ago and even before the Installer left there were already small scuffs and scratches starting to appear!!!!! I immediately sent a photo of the scratches to the Hormann technical rep who visited previously but never got a response.

I showed the marks to the Installer before he left and he shrugged his shoulders saying 'I hate roller doors for this issue and try to steer clients to the powered sectional up and over.

I didn't have the headroom available within the garage to fit a sectional type so had no choice.

Not sure if this a problem relating only to Hormann products or is a common issue with roller door design.

If you have the headroom go for a sectional up and over. They also have thicker insulation in the door sections and are also better at draught resistant which a roller door isn't.

Richard

Not a good story about roller doors there Richard - or about Hormann. I don't think a roller door would pass muster with Trouble & Strife anyway, so looks like I will have to stick with a canopy. . I quite like the canopy because it gives a bit of shelter if it's raining. I would like to go automatic, but I don't think I've got room for tracks, which is a real pity. it's only a single garage.

I suppose primacy for me would be getting a good quality door - especially a GRP that doesn't fade.

I have a roller type garage door from Anvil Shutters Ltd in Romford, Had mine since 2007 and touch wood its been fault free.

I have Garador sectional up and over doors on our garages with their Garamatic controllers. Probably not the cheapest but quality is very good, established UK company. Came with our house and would guess installed close to 10 years ago - work perfectly every time (famous last words!)

What about wooden doors - no good? I am fitting nice wooden doors to my new garage extension but then it's on a victorian house. Some good garage door guys on eBay.

About 18 months ago I had the centre pier on my double garage removed, a new steel installed and then a double width Seceuroglide roller door fitted. Looks good (like new) and works flawlessly

Edited by sopor

Hmm, I was sold on a roller door due to the space benefits, but the scratching story has me having second thoughts. Is this just thin paint on alu slats? Are they all made the same way?

Can they not be made with a durable coating (sort of plasticy) that copes with being rolled on itself?

I have built a wooden garage (44mm log) with sufficient height for a car lift. Like John, wooden doors suit but I found that rain water warping was a problem, solved buy erecting a canopy right across the top which obviously defects the rain. So successfull that I've now fitted canopies to the house utility room door, the kitchen door plus the side entrance door to the garage! If I'd planned ahead sufficiently, I'd asked for a bulk buy discount on these bl@@dy canopies!

Regards,

David.

Wooden doors for me but in my previous house I had twin roller doors and they were great. I had no issues with scratching and the coating was colour matched to the paint on my front door. I especially liked the way that they 'seal' to the garage floor when they close stopping all the leaves and other crud blowing in. I would have gone this route again but for the need to stay with wood.

Just ordered 2 roller doors from Crocodile, being fitted next week, seem one of the better quality ones on the market, but not cheap. Ideally get some with a Somfy motor as these seem to last for years.

As an aside Anna Rider-Richardson does the advert for these on the TV as looks RAF.

I will let you know how the fitting is when they are in.

Not sure if it helps but myself and 2 other neighbours went for Horman roller doors about 5 years ago. Wife insists on garage get her car in with the Porsche so it's opened and closed at least twice a day. All have performed superb with no issues on any of them. Still looks as good as day installed

Geoff are your doors white or painted a colour ?

Just wondered if the coloured ones get scratched due to the paint they use rather than the plain white ones..

Any thoughts anyone..

I have a double Gliderol roller door that was fitted by previous house owner in 1992 (almost as old as my car!). Currently operating as manual door as electric motor has packed up but roller operates without problem and no scuffs etc evident. New electric motor and controls on order.

All are coloured mine a green. The paint appears to be a powder coating that is very resilient. Have had building work going on for last 3 months and builders have been using garage for storage and mixing on drive outside doors. Not noticed any problem with scratching yet ( did move car to safe storage)

What about wooden doors - no good? I am fitting nice wooden doors to my new garage extension but then it's on a victorian house. Some good garage door guys on eBay.

Fitted a new wooden set set last year. Suit the house and black cladding perfectly. Got those pull cord stays installed too, stops them going past 90 deg and locks them in position so they don't blow shut on you...or your car.

VT