Dansk/ssi volume

I'm sure this will have been asked before but……...

Just backdated the exhaust system on my 3.2 carrera to SSi's and dansk back box. The tail pipe on the back box is a little on the 'max power' size.

It does make a fantastic noise though but…….

I haven't been able to measure the volume of it but I'd guess it's too loud for track day noise limits, 105Db's, but I don't know for sure.

I'm told from a very knowledgable source that a bog standard car is 106Db's.

I'm sure they're are many folks out there who've done the same mods and know what the noise level is.

Does it pass track day noise limits, and if not what do you do to make it pass??

TIA

J.

You can download a decibel meter for an iPhone for free, which would help give you some idea of where you are in relation to the limits, which are different from track to track. Mine is bog standard and I have never had any problems with a 105 limit.

My standard system only just passed on track

If it's way over people put baffles up tail pipe to get through test then remove for track

Have a search on the treads there is loads on this topic

Cheers Kenny

I think Dansk have a few different rear boxes, 1 out vs 2 out and also different tail pipe sizes and I expect each one will have a different dB so worth mentioning exactly what you got if looking for comparative dB.

Tbh, I can't remember (and the car is garaged three miles from my house.)

The earlier comment about a stock system being 106dB is cobblers though, I would have thought more like 98dB at most.

Tbh, I can't remember (and the car is garaged three miles from my house.)

The earlier comment about a stock system being 106dB is cobblers though, I would have thought more like 98dB at most.

agree, when mine was tested albeit with a maplin/eBay meter, it was 97dB - standard 3.2 pre silencer and standard one out silencer - both factory items

I'm a track day virgin so haven't been through the testing process.

The 'rules' say engine running at 3/4 maximum speed. Is that red line or the max rpm you're going to use, i.e, self imposed rev limit. I'm unlikely to be going to the red line to try and preserve my elderly motor!!!

I'm a track day virgin so haven't been through the testing process.

The 'rules' say engine running at 3/4 maximum speed. Is that red line or the max rpm you're going to use, i.e, self imposed rev limit. I'm unlikely to be going to the red line to try and preserve my elderly motor!!!

Usually red line.

If there's only one noise tester they'll be at the back of the car with the noise meter, so 3/4 revs is down to your 'interpretation' :whistling: Less revs, less noise ;)

With two noise testers one will have his head in the window checking your revs so less chance to get creative.

Btw, these cars like to be revved. Don't think you're really 'preserving' anything by short-shifting.

I've got 2 in, 1 out with the 84mm outlet.

Will mine pass the tests??

Your car would have to be really, really LOUD to fail a 105dB noise test.

Edited by GaryH

It has always been the red line when I have been tested, which they will usually check through the window. The only time I tried to "interpret" the revs the lone tester could immediately tell with his experienced ear!

I would expect you will get through any static test of 102, or above.

Out of interest the 70mm "sports" 2 in 1 out I have fitted to my SC with SSIs came with an official German TUV noise test certificate in the box, it said says 102 dB on a 2.7 car. But does not give the test conditions, but to get that level I suspect it has at max revs.

Mark

Well, the hot off the press news is………..

100db @ 4500 rpm.

I took a trip to BS auto sport today as they're the only people I could find who had a decibel meter.

Never been before………. bloody hell they've got some amazing stuff.

I'm gobsmacked that it's so quiet!!!

Well, the hot off the press news is..

100db @ 4500 rpm

I'm gobsmacked that it's so quiet!!!

I'm not ;):ani_nerd:

For reference SSI's and a Dansk backbox on my SC is 101db

Edited by GaryH

I took a trip to BS auto sport today as they're the only people I could find who had a decibel meter.

Never been before………. bloody hell they've got some amazing stuff.

BSMotorsport? Yes, if you upstairs the Brumos pair are there too

I did get the full tour. Brumos car, 3 2.7rs's, numerous 65/66 race cars, various other race cars, modified's and hot rods.

Dansk box with 84mm tail pipe.

Just need to find the time to do some track days now!!!!