what tyres on 7/8 -15s ?

axel

It's the closest they do or did rather..

I imagine 235 50 would be too wide?

You will end up going around in circles with this.

It depends why and what you want from your car. If you want wide tyres with a low profile just buy the 16 inch wheels and you will have greater choice.

Many have found that fitting 15 inch wheels has been one of the best improvements you can make to an IB era 911 but to make the magic work you need the correct tyre sizes. This retains the correct rolling circumference and uses the natural spring in the deeper sidewall. This is where the problem starts, as you have found sourcing the correct sizes / speed rating is not easy - alternative sizes just compromise the experience.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So to speak!

:banghead:

Ha ha yes.

My car currently has 19mm front and 26mm rear TB as purchased. I think I am going to change the rears back to 23mm standard and go for the Pirelli CN36 tyres.

With factory standard body roll and those tyres I think it will be a real hoot to drive :steering:

• 3 months later...

Any update on tyre choices for 7 & 8 x 15s? My C3 is used on the road for weekend driving and touring so I don't really need to consider track day performance rubber. I would also like to maintain the standard look and profiles. So am I really just limited to Pirelli P6000 or really expensive period look Michelin TBs?

Al

Any update on tyre choices for 7 & 8 x 15s? My C3 is used on the road for weekend driving and touring so I don't really need to consider track day performance rubber. I would also like to maintain the standard look and profiles. So am I really just limited to Pirelli P6000 or really expensive period look Michelin TBs?

Al

Similar to Al above....looking for help on tyre selection.

Time has come for me to replace tyres on my 3.2. DOT 4208 fitted July 2009. Only 15,000 km usage. Tread is still good but age and a few emerging sidewall bubbles are prompting me to put on some new boots. I have spent endless hours in the past weeks reading through various forum threads on tyres for Porsche but must admit all a bit overwhelming for this girl.

Current: ContiPremiumContact2  front:195/65R/15   rear:215/60R/15  both have 98H load index/speed rating.  Selected and fitted by OPC East London.

Pirelli P6000 is Porsche approved N rated. Load index/speed rating 91W. My understanding the Porsche approval is that this means a stiffer sidewall, less high speed noise, wider, and "designed to compliment the performance characteristics of the vehicle". Are the Porsche approved N rated tyres really constructed differently? Bloody expensive. Several old PCGB forum threads indicated that insurance may be invalidated if not fitted with N rated. Following found this guidance on internet:  "If you fit tyres with lower speed rating than the original fitment, the new tyres will not support your regular speed. This can result in unfortunate occurrences. And the insurance company can refuse to entertain your claim, citing that the car was not road worthy and had been ‘modified’. In fact in some countries, it is illegal to drive on tyres with lower speed rating than the original fitments."

My original owners manual (in German) does not indicate load index and speed rating for summer tyre 7" rims only the width/profile/wheel size. 

I don't do track days. Low annual mileage. But don't want to provide the insurance company any reason not to pay agreed upon value in the event of a RTC. Should I give up eating for the next couple months to pay for the tyres or are speed ratings other than W okay?

Any advice would be appreciated. 

Cheers, Melinda

• 2 weeks later...

I went for the Pirelli CN36 and I am very pleased with them. Love the old skool tread. Great feel and feedback, nice and progressive too so don't just let go..

The other choice I found was the the P6000. Not the best looking tyre IMO but absolutely fine for general use and much cheaper than the CN36's

I also searched extensively as you can see on this thread and I could not find any other good options than P6000 or CN36 in the correct size and that match. All other options I found were non matching types/makes and weird sizes.

Seems like there are still no new tyre choices out since I last looked in Nov 2016.

Hope that helps.

Rob

On 27/02/2017 at 8:20 PM, LindyLou said:

But don't want to provide the insurance company any reason not to pay agreed upon value in the event of a RTC.

Running around on seven year old tyres would probably give them more of a reason :o

As for tyres just buy Bridgestone S02s :)

Edited by GaryH

• 1 year later...

Bumping this thread as I am in the hunt for new rubber to wrap around my 7/8x15 Fuchs. Currently have the Pirelli P6000’s on the car I just bought and while they have plenty of tread, they are from 2003 :rolleyes:

I do not want to go for the lower profile 205/55 front and 225/50 rear setup, but would rather prefer the stock 195/65 front and 215/60 rear sizes.

As has been noted, the choice is limited. As far as I can see, the options are:

• Pirelli P6000
  • Nexen N’Blue HD Plus
  • Continental PremiumContact2

If one is willing to do 185/70 at the front, the Dunlop Sport Classic becomes an option.

Any other options suitable for an 80’s Carrera? Or recommendations on which option to choose?

I ended up purchasing the P6000. Speed rating and availability were deciding factors. Secured 4 tyres with DOT less than one month prior to purchase at wholesale price which helped make them a bit more affordable.  I've had loads of comments on the retro-look of the P6000.  3000k later and they still feel good. 

• 3 weeks later...

I’ve now had the Dunlop Classics on the car for a couple of hundred km’s. Not quite sure how valid a comparison to 15-year old P6000’s is, but these are definiteky quieter and more comfortable. But also feel a bit more floaty / less stable on the motorway at speeds above 120km/h. It does seem that the Dunlops have slightly softer sidewalls than the Pirellis. Having said that, I am still experimenting with the tyre pressures. Started with 2.0bar (29psi) at the front and 2.5bar (36psi). Currently at 2.3bar (33psi) up front and 2.7bar (39psi) at the rear. 

Edited by Teme

• 2 months later...

Interesting thread. Slim pickings indeed. I’m looking for new boots for my recently acquired 3.2 on 15” rims. 

Looking st camskill, the factory size of fronts in 185/70 vr15 is very limited. Dunlop, Pirelli and veredestein. What have people used? 195/70 r15s are plentiful. Even in continental sport contacts which I run on my 3.0sc with 16” rims. 195/65 r15’s? 

Rears of 215/60 vr15’s look quite plentiful.

continental contipremiumcintac 2’s or kumho kh27’s? Best sizes? Would really like a matching set 

You could try 205/60r15 up front and 225/60r15 in the rear with Continental or Toyo. Or 195/65r15 up front and 225/60 at rear with Maxxis.

Edited by Teme

Just been speaking to camskill. The old N rated discussion. Use anything other than N rated and you are sacrificing the ride quality. Stiffer sidewalls etc. That’s their view. Plus the old insurance won’t cover you as it’s classed as modified so check. P6000’s is what they recommend. 

What a bunch of rubbish from Camskill. Did N-rating exist when these cars were new? I don't think it did. I'd understand that argument for a water cooled later car but on an IB it makes no sense.

Insurance might question different tyre sizes if not declared, but as long as you declare it unlikely to affect premium.

I'll be trying Yokohama Advan AD-08R next time around FWIW. Available in 15 and 16 sizes.

As far as I know, the AD-08R is not available in 15” sizes that would work on a 911. Or can you point to a source? On the manufacturers website they only have 185/55r15, 195/50r15, 195/55r15 and 205/50r15. So all of them too low a profile for the front and nothing wide enough for the rear.

What did everyone do before the N rated programme? It was introduced around the time of the 996 was it not?

If you can get N rated in your size then great, but for an older car where it was not original equipment anyway I think the insurance company would have a hard time  arguing against paying out.

Edited by reddevil

The guy at Camskill mentioned there was a scheme in place before N ratings but I'd forgotten what it was by the time the call ended. It just pees me off the N rated tyres are 3xthe price. He did mention that some of the widths on P cars are the same as on popular family hatchbacks. So they'd work adequately on those for general pootling but if you like to drive your P car with a bit of va va voom, they'd be struggling. His exact words were the sidewalls are deliberately stiffer to reduce body roll on N rated tyres. 

No doubt. My particular issue was with the insurance comment, apologies if I misinterpreted the original post.

I don't recall the N rated S02's being expensive anyway when I bought them (£60-80 a tyre?) but I am sure these newly N-rated classic tyres have appropriate P-tax. 

The front tyre from the factory on 15” wheels changed from 185/70r15 to 195/65r15 in 1987 (or 1986, not 100% sure which). The N-rated P6000 is available in both sizes. I would go for the 195/65r15 as it fills the arch just a bit more, but does not rub.

Edited by Teme