Shonky Drop Links

Nige

Scraped through the MOT today with some failing rear ARB drop links. Thing is I replaced them less than 2 months ago with some Lemforder items from ECP. Luckily I kept the 25 year old originals so have fitted them back on for the time being.

Before I take them back to ECP I'm considering getting money back or credit note as I expect the replacement items could be just as shonky. Has anyone fitted this type of adjustable drop links? Price is pretty much the same as standard fit Lemforder items.

911RDLNK.jpg

The rubber bush part has pulled out, must have only just happened as I noticed it clonk a couple of times the last few days prior to the MOT this morning and it wasn't doing before that.

I have had it on axle stands last Thursday/Friday whilst I removed the rear wheels for new tyres. So maybe the extra stretch on the suspension pulled them out, but that shouldn't happen.

Main offender

DL1_zpsbrel5at0.jpg

Other side looks like it's going the same way.

DL2_zps4anpbgto.jpg

They're not handed and only fit in one direction so can't be installed incorrectly. They went in fine with just a little persuasion to line up.

The design of the metal "eye" is not as original. The original design has a lip around the hole to stop the bonded-in rubber pulling out, even when worn.

I dismantled a very worn original set to try DIY PU bushes and even though they were worn I had to drill out the rubber.

I would be suspicious that they were cheap forgeries that have got into the supply chain.

Mark

That's the problem Mark, if I exchange I could well be in the same position in a couple of months.

I would be suspicious that they were cheap forgeries that have got into the supply chain.

Mark

Just been on the ECP website and this is their picture of the items. Quite different to what I have received and installed, as you mentioned Mark there is a lip that cups the outer face of the bush which would prevent it popping out in my picture. Unless the replacements are like the picture is refund only I think.

620330155.jpg

They also list cheaper aftermarket items, I reckon they dispatched these instead of the Lemforder ones I ordered. I don't think I kept the packaging though.

Just take them back to the nearest Europarts and show them the fault.

You should also have the email receipt to show what you actually ordered vs. what you received - net net insist on the Lemforder ones as a replacement or get a refund and go elsewhere.

My droplinks are Lemforder and they're as per the stock photo above. You must have received the cheapy crap. Lemforder stuff is normally excellent quality; probably OEM in many cases without the Porsche packaging to make it twice the price.

Lemforder ones have looked like this for over a year;

675972_x800.jpg

The are handed though!! Did you install them wrongly?

Nige - did you get a free chicken stir fry with those? Very odd for that to happen and as above they are definitely handed. I bought some OEM ones from ECP a while back and they have been fine. Either you fluffed the install (which I doubt) or they are a sh*te batch. I would take them back and get another pair and I'll bet they'll be fine.

To add, I bought some new Lemforder ones last year and they failed the MOT this year, one had popped out.

I'm rebuilding all the suspension this winter and will probably fit the Rennline ones.

Looks like the Leforder accountants have pushed for a "value engineering" solution with no understanding of the need for the original, more expensive, design. Those drop links go through some large angle deflections, but the original design would last 25+ years and 100+K miles.

The way of the world now, cheap sh*t quick fix with no consideration of longevity.

Mark

weird maybe the aftermarket ones are better now, checked mine earlier and they still look fine and like the ones in Nige's ECP pic. Cant remember whether they were Lemforder or after market though :doh2:

Had time for a better look this morning, and yes they are handed but in a way that's impossible to fit incorrectly so no mix up there.

Just looks like cost cutting to me, the bush is just push fit and not bonded to the steel outer in anyway. Even the metal used for the bolts appears to be soft as the threads have rounded over. Basically cr*p and would now make me question buying Lemforder in the future.

Old and new

droplinks_zpsjqkrfgqm.jpg

Other side on it's way as well.

droplinks2_zpsobziv1ec.jpg

Found the receipt for my ones - they are the aftermarket ones and look more like the originals with that extra lip to the metal casing to hold the bush in place. When you look at the design of the black ones its no wonder the bush just pulled out - nothing to hold it in accept a thin rubber lip!

I repeat my rant :smash::smash::smash:

Looks like the Leforder accountants have pushed for a "value engineering" solution with no understanding of the need for the original, more expensive, design. Those drop links go through some large angle deflections, but the original design would last 25+ years and 100+K miles.

The way of the world now, cheap sh*t quick fix with no consideration of longevity.

Mark