Ignition switch not at fault! What next?

I've replaced the ignition switch, having drilled out the barrel. Didn't solve the problem. The lock barrel is fine too. It correctly turns the switch.

But the ignition light is on - with key removed. I've even pulled out the switch, and ignition stays on...

So what's causing this very frustrating issue? ECU? DME relay? What else ? I'm stuck!

hi...when you say ignition light stays on what do you see.There is actually no ignition light.One is battery charging(from alternator) indicator and the other is oil press light.Take a picture and let me see what you see...

Your problem is possible alternator interior diode`s.

Back to your problem originally..after removing the key from an ignition switch the engine is running?What light do you see on? Picture please...

Ivan

It's the two red lights. The engine continues to run - even after trying to switch off the engine. I can even remove the key and the engine still runs.

I've even pulled off the connector from the switch and both red lights are on the dash

Had a good look at that. All good.

I then reassembled the whole thing again. Put on battery. Still both red lights on the dial. So decided to start the car and see what happens.

Car started, and then switched off as normal. It switched off! All fixed.

Perhaps the process of starting it some how got it to reset? It works fine now. Tried it 10 times. All fine.

But I'm not 100% I've got to root cause. Perhaps it's a faulty switch... And it needed a reset... But still have nagging worry. Only thing to do is continue trying the car. Cheers. Gary

You haven't by chance worked on the three way fuse box in the engine bay, have you?

If refitted/wired incorrectly or replaced with the wrong part number, can cause your fault.

Edit:

Ok, sounds like you can ignore my ramblings....!

Edited by SCud

Well, an update.

Now I have the this happening... I open either door and the ignition comes on! Close the door, ignition goes off. How the hell can the ignition circuit be linked to the door light? Apart from this, the key works fine. So I guess my original problem was not the ignition switch, but an ability of the car to have the ignition circuit becoming live and not over ridden by the key.

Any ideas now? Cheers. Gary

hi Gary this is a little strange...i would say do not drive it...there is a possibility that you have some kind of alarm in your system.Can you take a picture of your front fuse box so i can see the the wires going to the fuses?

Ivan

Also take a picture of the wires going to the ignition switch electrical plug

I think you may be right. When I had the non starting issues, an electrician removed a cobra alarm/immobiliser - thinking that might have been the cause.

I'm therefore planning on getting the electrician back out to have a look. It must be something to do with poor wiring...

G

Plan is to get the car to the garage and have a qualified electrician check it out. Clearly there is something wrong with the wiring that's allowing the ignition circuit to become live when operating the doors.

I'm not expecting a big deal. The good news is that the problem looks permanent, and not intermittent. Electrics are such a pain!