IB Bikers: show your toys

Vfr was a ringer until I straightened it out.

ZXR was a dream bike

20140312_201853.jpg

1 minute ago, flappa2 said:

Vfr was a ringer until I straightened it out.

ZXR was a dream bike

20140312_201853.jpg

20140312_205528.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 19/04/2020 at 00:42, Lund said:

20200301_202740.jpg

20200301_202539.jpg

So took the bike for MoT a couple of weeks ago, and found my 6 year old daughter staring at me as I was getting ready... Papa, can I come for a ride? Needless to say, my heart melted.. so I had to dig through my heaps of parts in the shed and find the "sofa" and frame I built about 10 years ago (for the wife when we lived in Malta) so I could make my princess happy. So from hardcore solo to comfy cruiser with sissy bar! She loves it!

20200507_165725.jpg

IMG-20200525-WA0004.jpg

FB_IMG_1590391376107.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Took the old Trumpet out for a shakedown ride today , 30 miles from rebuild . I thought Porsche’s needed regular oil changes . My first is due at 50 miles then every thousand . 
 Not the quickest bike I owned but easily  the Prettiest loving it so far .

551D456A-46FF-455B-8BB3-D9BFF5CDBB48.jpeg

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

I added a 2005 Ducati Monster 800 S i.e. to the stable last week. I owned a very late carbed 750 Monster a few years back, which was a lovely bike to ride but it suffered from chronic carb icing, was a little low on straight line grunt and had also been used in London and stored on the street, so condition was not great.

I have ridden a few bigger Monsters - both air- and water-cooled - and came close to buying an S4 once upon a time, but really they are a bit too front heavy and the air-cooled bikes feel 'more proper'. I think the 900 is a little heavy also, so the short lived injected 800 has a reputation as the sweet spot in terms of weight vs power amongst anoraks.

Anyway, about ten years ago, a seed was sown to find an 800. Like Ferraris, most Monsters are sold in resale red. The Metallic Blue bikes used in the press shots were made in very small numbers - just 5 of the 88 bikes that came to the UK were finished in blue. I love that look, so an 800 Monster in Blue has been on my list for a very long time. Looking on and off for several years, I recently found one of the five: a two owner example with 12k miles, engine paint a bit scruffy as it lived on the street for a bit (like all old Monsters really) but wearing a pair of Remus cans and a Power Commander. Also had a pair of rare Monster panniers matched to the bike.

Negotiating and buying the bike was not straightforward. The price was a bit rich given the condition (plus it was up in the wilds of Scotland) so I set a max price and made the guy an offer. Patience paid off and a month later we agreed a price. I paid a deposit and booked a courier to collect. He got there at 8pm in the evening and then it turned out that the seller's bank would not accept incoming transfers from any of my banks after 6:30 at night. It took some convincing but, after doing the transfers and sending him screenshots, the guy released the bike to the courier, his bank sorted the transfer issues the next day and all was good. The little blue Ducati arrived with me a week ago.

I've been tied up with valuation work on several court cases for weeks, so left the bike in the garage and set my first ride as a reward. I finally shipped my last report yesterday, so wheeled out the Ducati for a late evening ride. It did not disappoint! Beautiful pickup with the Power Commander watching over things and such a sweet power to weight ratio.

I've bought some adjustable Showas for the front and the cosmetic bits can wait until winter. My mission for the rest of the summer is to wear out the old tyres and just enjoy being back on a Monster. Good times 👍🏻

Ducati Monster M800 S Blue.jpeg

• Like 5

Not ridden the newer 800 monster but the air cooled 900 was a huge leap in real world performance over 750 - personally didn’t notice any real increase in weight. You also got the rattling dry clutch on the 900’s but they suffered from broken head studs.
Chassis was very focused (851 superbike??) and had a tendency to throw pilots off - ‘high-side’ if pushed beyond the talent of the rider.

Remember a great trackday at Cadwell Park ‘97 or ‘98 - heavy rain all day. Good friend on his 900m and I took a 90’s Laverda. 
There were rivers running across the circuit but we had almost a full day without any other bikes on track.

• Like 1

On 21/07/2020 at 22:16, proporsche said:

i guess i forgot to mention ..this one was a gift from D.B number 23 to me ...;-) his personal Vespa...;-)

Liked this first time around and like it even more on second appearance. Excellent 👍🏻

21 hours ago, ignatzcatz said:

Here's a couple which should get ridden more that they do.

Cool Graham, I remember we had a good chat about these at the DDK parts meet. They are ace 👍🏻

On 21/07/2020 at 13:22, Mondrian said:

That was a nice find JG, its my fav bike on this thread so far. Let me know if you find a 2nd one in blue .... great pic BTW.

On 21/07/2020 at 14:32, flatsix777 said:

Looks great John - I don’t think I’ve seen a blue Monster before but I much prefer it to red. Nice buy and good for a little fun. 

David 

On 21/07/2020 at 16:05, mean in green said:

Must admit I can't ever remember seeing one either, and didn't know such a thing existed.

They're ageing well!

Yes, they look great in blue. This one came with no history so been chasing potential garages up in bonny Scotland this week. Also found some nice bits on there that the seller didn't know about (e.g. mosfet regulator). Here's the press shot that got me hooked: am aiming to get back to this one day, but for the minute am just going to ride it - as soon as the new plate for it gets here.

IMG_1814.jpeg

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Does this count chaps?

I’ve had a hankering every year for at least the last 10 years to pass my bike test. The hankering was really strong this year so (at 53 yrs old) finally decided to do my CBT in Oct. I had a MTX125 years ago when you could just ride on L plates, so have half an idea. The plan was to do the CBT & see if I was still excited enough to take it any further. Suffice to say I had a really enjoyable day with a top chap for an instructor.

Next thing I know, I’ve sniffed out this really clean CB125R with a few hundred quids worth of extras on it, for very reasonable money. The idea is to hone my limited skills on it, & then hopefully do my direct access next year. 🤞

075E5498-EEA8-4734-BE8C-2A2C5EED783A.jpeg

• Like 4

On 07/11/2020 at 18:34, Fleety said:

I’ve had a hankering every year for at least the last 10 years to pass my bike test. The hankering was really strong this year so (at 53 yrs old) finally decided to do my CBT in Oct. I had a MTX125 years ago when you could just ride on L plates, so have half an idea. The plan was to do the CBT & see if I was still excited enough to take it any further. Suffice to say I had a really enjoyable day with a top chap for an instructor.

Brilliant! Always nice to see someone starting their 2-wheeled career.

The CB is a cool little bike: I had a CB125F for a while for my daughter until she cleared off to uni.

• 1 month later...

Sold my Harley WL45 just before Christmas. It was a fun bike with loads of thumbs up whenever I rode it but I just didn't ride it that often. OK, the virus has killed off all meets but even so the bike became just a garage queen. Even with a newly  rebuilt engine, gearbox and carb it was still a bit hit and miss if it would start, it always got going eventually but you stood there just kicking the b1tch over and when it did burst into life because it wasn't ridden often the pint of oil that had over time drained form the tank down to the crankcase deposited  itself all over my driveway, and the brakes or rather lack of them was an accident waiting to happen. So bye bye WL, it went to the owner of Flatland Cycleworks who carried out a couple of alterations to the bike, like rebuild the wheels with correct style black Harley rims, fit a new seat  on the correct pogo center spring and de-chrome some of the bling parts. I didn't take any money for the bike but I requested Mark of Flatland to build me a new machine. It will be a copy of the picture below which is a Cole Foster Salinas Boys machine. It will have a custom soft tail frame, standard innard but blinged up Evo motor, 5 speed box, 12 spoke forged PR rims 17 and 21" with matching rotor and brake discs, drag bars, hydraulic clutch and all concealed cables. It will be just a cool bike I can jump on turn the key and go, and go fast. Should be done sometime around Easter. Check Flatlands facebook  pages for the build up if you're interested   

DSCN2822.JPG

• Like 1

If you google Cole Foster you will see more of his bikes and  gorgeous cars he has turned his hand to.  I believe he's based around the Bay area of San Francisco which is a pretty hard core bike sector. And don't forget to check out Flatlands, there is a couple of pics of my old WL on his web site. Hopefully I can bang up some build pics as Mark gets on with the bike.

• 1 month later...

With my wide body SSE tucked away in storage for the Winter and only one restoration job on the go, an 'orrible 'illman 'uscky, some automotive joy came my way from my good buddy who is stitching together my Salinas Boys, Cole Foster style street chop down in deepest darkest Fenlands. And here it is, got my blingtastic  polished forged rims mounted and the bike is taking shape. It will be dry built then lock down permitting I shall go to the workshop and take a ride on the beast then sort out any glitches or problems  then it's tear it all down for paint. chrome and detailing. I've got no definite plans for paint yet but I have a  slight  thought about light metallic blue. This will give me sleepless nights I'm sure, oh sod it, satin black the lot.    

151294663_791604944782307_8020930395296605835_o.jpg

150874415_791604684782333_6454219378244374813_o.jpg

150942757_791604368115698_9016990739828085065_o.jpg

150972161_791604141449054_4691276666275285366_o.jpg

151239037_791603911449077_8537480466221701882_o.jpg

• Like 2

That brings back memories, but it's been a few years since I've done Box Hill on me motorsickle 😢