My first Porsche, Black 89 3.2

Black89

Hi

My name is Alex and this is a thread on the story of my first Porsche.

I crew for Steve Wright on his pushrod 356 race car. In September 2015 we were in a support race for the historic 6hr race at Spa. Steve, Ian and Stu were all talking about a Porsche road trip they had planned in April 2016. I really wanted to join in but that meant I had 6 months to source my own Porsche. (The road trip was featured in last months Classic Porsche mag).

I doing my research had pinned it down to wanting an 88 or 89 narrow bodied 3.2, they seemed to have all the modern comforts I was after but still looking like an epic old Porsche.

I found my car at Autokennel in the States, I am lucky enough to know a chap called Chris from Romance With Rust through my other love (old vw's) who was only about 15 mins away from the car. He did a pre purchase inspection for me and I then struck a deal. I used Kingstown Shipping and it was soon in a container on it's way to me.

The car is a 1989 narrow bodied car, it had 68,000 miles on it from new, It's a black on black coupe. The options are 16" wheels, electric seats, air con. Apart from a rear wiper and a LSD it has everything I was looking for.

It arrived in Feb this year, once home I put a brand new set of tyres on it and it sailed through its Mot. So I had it registered by March, which gave me a few weeks of shaking it down before taking it to Europe on a road trip.

I got a friend who is a great mechanic but doesn't really know Porsche's to change the brake fluid, gearbox oil, engine oil, air filter, oil filter, fuel filter, fan and ac belt. The indicator stalk kept flashing the high beams so I bought one from Porsche in Burgess Hill which he fitted for me. He also removed loads of sludge from the washer bottle and sort of revived the wash system.

I felt happy and ready to go euro tripping

So the car was dry underneath till the trip, I have since learned not to fill the oil to the top mark on the dipstick. 4 laps of the Nurburgring and the car started to develop an oil leak. Admittedly I was pushing the car and myself hard, but was a little gutted in myself for causing a dry original car to start leaking. Hey Ho you live and learn, and the car is to be used not just looked at.

So during the rest of the year apart from a little tooling about, I did a trip to Spa for the VW show at the beginning of August and a trip to Bitburg in Germany in September for another VW event.

This almost brings us up to date. Yesterday was Black Friday. Stu and I removed the engine and gearbox from the car, my kind of Black Friday

I will post some pictures soon once my laptop finishes updating.

Cheers Alex

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

HiMy name is Alex and this is a thread on the story of my first Porsche.I crew for Steve Wright on his pushrod 356 race car. In September 2015 we were in a support race for the historic 6hr race at Spa. Steve, Ian and Stu were all talking about a Porsche road trip they had planned in April 2016. I really wanted to join in but that meant I had 6 months to source my own Porsche. (The road trip was featured in last months Classic Porsche mag).I doing my research had pinned it down to wanting an 88 or 89 narrow bodied 3.2, they seemed to have all the modern comforts I was after but still looking like an epic old Porsche. I found my car at Autokennel in the States, I am lucky enough to know a chap called Chris from Romance With Rust through my other love (old vw's) who was only about 15 mins away from the car. He did a pre purchase inspection for me and I then struck a deal. I used Kingstown Shipping and it was soon in a container on it's way to me.The car is a 1989 narrow bodied car, it had 68,000 miles on it from new, It's a black on black coupe. The options are 16" wheels, electric seats, air con. Apart from a rear wiper and a LSD it has everything I was looking for. It arrived in Feb this year, once home I put a brand new set of tyres on it and it sailed through its Mot. So I had it registered by March, which gave me a few weeks of shaking it down before taking it to Europe on a road trip.I got a friend who is a great mechanic but doesn't really know Porsche's to change the brake fluid, gearbox oil, engine oil, air filter, oil filter, fuel filter, fan and ac belt. The indicator stalk kept flashing the high beams so I bought one from Porsche in Burgess Hill which he fitted for me. He also removed loads of sludge from the washer bottle and sort of revived the wash system.I felt happy and ready to go euro tripping So the car was dry underneath till the trip, I have since learned not to fill the oil to the top mark on the dipstick. 4 laps of the Nurburgring and the car started to develop an oil leak. Admittedly I was pushing the car and myself hard, but was a little gutted in myself for causing a dry original car to start leaking. Hey Ho you live and learn, and the car is to be used not just looked at.So during the rest of the year apart from a little tooling about, I did a trip to Spa for the VW show at the beginning of August and a trip to Bitburg in Germany in September for another VW event.This almost brings us up to date. Yesterday was Black Friday. Stu and I removed the engine and gearbox from the car, my kind of Black Friday I will post some pictures soon once my laptop finishes updating. Cheers Alex Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk
172fb31409dd98a9ce93d1fcf9918abf.jpg74b9e346996c68406aa00ff3ccd91fab.jpg58034dde7916dce6ef234dabb199b1ae.jpg965d1180495bf74ed53da8925da6f938.jpg4fa41e85fd6a5b7907af8c5791a8889d.jpg2b1cc39d95a2046a6c636c1036322efd.jpgf4e5b588da428337a0f8769f8e88dae9.jpgSent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

8b43c2e3be5fc741780ff2422740e546.jpg3c91e59fd86550b51741ffb6a2a3906f.jpg15419656fe9302cd5bc6823c983530da.jpg892de163ae84fe420fe0f80ea696e228.jpgSent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

c091ab70c207234f456a1e5c7ce736ca.jpg8b7cab3884f4ce80d22f118b32200052.jpg3c905c4f8df25bcbe592f427ae4bec9a.jpg0fefa63b710d7e547c97849e7a8da028.jpgSent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

Thanks Gents,

I forgot to mention, my wife got me a new carpet set for my birthday in August, I also fitted when I first got the car a Steve Wong chip and front strut brace.

I have asked for a Canford Classics rear engine brace bar for Christmas as I bust an end off the stock one whilst removing the engine. Oops!

Now for the Information requests,

I would love to replace the anti roll bar bushes and the droplinks with aftermarket ones, the rear rubber top shock mounts with stock, the main engine brace bar mounts with aftermarket, the gearbox cradle mounts with stock, can anyone point me in the right direction or give me any tips?

I am also considering replacing all the fuel lines, anyone know a UK source for:

https://griffiths.com/product/911-3-2-engine-fuel-line/

I am also considering replacing the Clutch whilst it's all out, anyone got any suggestions?

The AC system on the car has never really worked and the clutch on the compressor gave up on the way home from Germany. I want to run the AC, I know most just junk it. I have found replacement complete systems for up to 86 cars but not for an 89. This is something I really need advice on please!

Really appreciate any help or advice anyone can give me.

All my best

Alex

So

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk