Ady1971

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi Chester

I bought some replacement Blaupunkt ones for mine, it was around 2013 so can't remember where I got them but I think it was Blaupunkt direct.  They were pretty much a drop-in replacement.  Slightly deeper than the originals but it didn't make any difference as they fitted without any modification and with using the original (cracked/tatty) grills.  The only real difference is that the cones are blue instead of grey but it doesn't show with the grills in place.  Quite cheap too as I remember.

• 4 weeks later...

After what seems a lifetime, I have finally had the speaker grills created.

I have attached a few photos:

1. The first shows my old cracked unit (on the right) next to the new version.

2. the second shows you a full shot of the cover.

I am really pleased with how they have turned out.

I would love to know what you think??

IMG_0537.JPG

IMG_0538.JPG

Thanks !!

I put a lot of effort into creating something which looked original.

Pleased you cant tell the difference!

Nige,

The grills are the originals, but I have even sourced the correct specification of mesh (number of holes per cm etc).

I have just realised I must be an anorak :blink:

1 hour ago, BenC said:

Really impressive results. 

What process did you use in the end to get that smooth finish?

It was 3d printing using high definition acrylic, along with a combination of things including printing vertically, rather than horizontally (this can only been done on a commercial system due to the weight / stability of the print)ed structure)

Finally, they were chemically smoothed - i dont know how this work, but it clearly does.

All of this pushed the cost of manufacture up, but I personally think, its a close to the original as it can be, so worth it.

1 hour ago, SP72 said:

They look superb, shame I don't need them! Noob question, is the mesh printed too?

Hi,

The mesh was the original from the speak; just inserted into the aperture.

I have sourced an exact match of mesh, so once I build the mold, can recreate these too - watch this space!

9 hours ago, Mondrian said:

Looks great, we are all lining up.

If your happy with what you see, then I could get a batch made??

They cost me £60 each to have produced - this price does not include the grills (the original Porsche ones will simply press / glue fit).

Anyone want a set?

9 hours ago, chodosh said:

HI Andy,

Quite possibly yes, I suppose they are all black as standard, pretty sure mine are navy...

Please keep me informed.

Thanks

The grills could  be supplied unpainted and you can simply primer / paint them yourself.

This would actually save you £5 each cover.

I can find out what product was used to create the finish you see in the photos so you can source a navy version???

Let me know if this would be preferable?

That's pretty awesome - I have a set from Matt, too, and they're cool, but they sure do require you pillage a set of grilles from an original pair. Even if cracked, this is something that was painful. 

If you can produce an all-in-one solution inc. grilles, you'll be a forum hero, here and everywhere that caters to 911! And I'll pick up a set just for the heck of it, too :)

On 15/06/2017 at 10:07 AM, chodosh said:

Hi Andy,

sure, sounds like a plan. I can use the grilles from me existing set.

Thanks

I can supply the surround, in primer, ready for you to paint in any colour of your choice.

The surround in the picture I posted was primed with a high build primer, and coated with flexible paint used on bumpers etc.

You could simply choose the topcoat to best match the colour needed.

You would still need to use your grills from your existing surround (which drop straight in - there's a rebate to accommodate)

This would reduce the cost to £55 per unit (p.s. I am not making anything on this price)

On 20/06/2017 at 8:29 PM, Lonestar said:

That's pretty awesome - I have a set from Matt, too, and they're cool, but they sure do require you pillage a set of grilles from an original pair. Even if cracked, this is something that was painful. 

If you can produce an all-in-one solution inc. grilles, you'll be a forum hero, here and everywhere that caters to 911! And I'll pick up a set just for the heck of it, too :)

I understand - my surrounds were pretty far gone, so it wasnt too hard a job to dismantle them.

I have found the exact same mesh - same number of holes per inch; everything.

I just need to create a mold to create the correct shape so I can create the grilles. May take me a while to create these due to work commitments, but I will keep working away at it and keep you posted.

• 4 weeks later...
On 24/07/2017 at 9:50 AM, TargaWayne said:

Hi Andy,

New Member to this Forum and these are exactly what I'm after, are you still producing them, if so could you let me know how to pay?

Cheers 

Wayne

Wayne,

Have sent you a message....

• 2 weeks later...