Immobiliser (?) 82 SC

Hiya, an odd one for me. I'll try and outline the sequence of events:

My battery lost charge perhaps due to a light being left on. I connected it up to another car and tried to start it. The engine turned over but slowly and wouldn't start.

I took the battery out and put it on a charger overnight. I put the battery back in the car and immediately noticed that my immobiliser light seemed permanently on but with a very slight/faint flashing if that makes any sense.

Holding the immobiliser to the contacts made no difference and turning the key obviously had no result as it would behave if not immobilised.

(Before, the light would clearly flash on and off until you put the immobiliser key on the contacts at which point it would go off completely.)

Any insights or , dare I hope, quick fixes?!

There are no blown fuses that I can see.

Thank you!

Edited by cluskera

I'd suspect the immobiliser being faulty and drawing current all the time, causing the flat battery.

With everything turned off, measure the current being taken from the battery - should be very low, in the milliamp range (but if something is faulty it might be much higher, so start with your ammeter on a high current range). Is it possible to bridge the circuit interrupted by the immobiliser so the car runs? (On mine, an after-market type, it is both the ignition circuit and the starter circuit that are switched open by the immobiliser).

Any insights or , dare I hope, quick fixes?!

It will be an aftermarket immobiliser and so your best hope for some constructive help is to let us know what make it is. If there are no indications on the fob, pictures of the fob and contacts may help narrow it down.

Favourite locations for the main control box are under the carpet in the front boot behind where the fuel filler comes in, or behind the kick board in the passenger footwell.

On an SC it is most likely that the immobiliser is wired into the fuel pump and starter circuits. There will usually be additional blade fuses wired into the spliced in circuits.

Immobilisers often have internal batteries and this could have failed/discharged when you disconnected the car battery. You may be lucky and the internal battery may recover enough for the fob to work if you leave the car battery connected, but it will need properly sorting to avoid future problems.

Mark

• 3 weeks later...

I've been in USA till yesterday so late with detail. Tried the recharge route but no joy. Didn't find a box in those places but will keep hunting. However on upside I know what it is. I have even the installation receipt in the file. It's Autowatch - installed in 1998.

6042d5b3a0d15a4ee0d0081f3ca50128.jpg

Anyone have one of these and knows where the unit is or any insights?

Thanks

There was an OPC immobiliser fitted to my car which started to play up having been fitted for only 5 years or so, poor job considering the price. My auto electrician mate ripped it all out & got the car running in under 10 mins! Had no trouble since. These devices are more trouble than they're worth imo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk